Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question I think I have low porosity, what next?

Okay Ladies, I need your expertise,

So based on all of the research that I have been doing, I THINK, I have low porosity. I have fine strands (I dont like the hair classification system, but if I have to.. then Im a 4a/b).

My hair always seems dry, even though I moisture it. I live in Central Texas.. Its always hot here. My hair feels great when I use a deep conditioner on it with a plastic bag on my head for about an hour. Other than that, the only thing that seems to keep it nice and moist is JBCO, but I am afraid of JBCO as some people say it causes shedding. I dont put it on my scalp, just the length of my hair, but I didnt know if I would still experience the shed so I stopped using it (Any advice on this either way would also be helpful). I was trying to head off a problem before it started.

The information regarding low porosity and what to do about it seems conflicting to me which has only lead to my confusion :/

So my question is, what products are good for low porosity hair like mine?!?! ( I prefer natural products, on-line ordering is not a problem for me). I know what porosity is, but right now I am looking for products to help my big 4b hair

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What led you to believe that your hair is low porosity?
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MS-gg,

I think its low porosity because of the research that I am doing (Now I could be totally wrong). My hair is always dry, I moisture it a lot, but it still feels dry after a few days. I carry a spritz bottle around and spritz it w/water mixed with a lil of Jane Carter's Leave in Conditioner several times a day. To me it still feel "crunchy".

I did the strand test where you slid your figure down the hair and my finger didnt feel any rough spots. It slide down the strand pretty smoothly. So for these reasons, I feel like I have low porosity.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your hair sounds like it is probably high porosity. How long does it take for your hair to dry after you wash it? I'm talking about without it being put into braids, buns, twists etc etc to dry. Just your fro dripping wet without it being bunched up...

And you don't have to have bumps along your hair strand either to have high porosity. If you have curly or kinky hair, all of the bends and twists on your hair strand indicates a weak spot in your hair, where the cuticles are not laying completely flat. Whenever I have done that "test" I always pass but there are other indications that let me know my hair is high porosity (gets wet fast and dries quickly). IMO, your hair probably won't feel bumpy unless there is some type of mechanical/chemical damage done to it, or if it still has the crinkles from a previous hair style. Now I could be wrong, but this has been my experience...
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes m'am in my opinion it does dry quickly.. So possibly high porosity.. This is why Im glad I have NP, because Lord knows I have no clue!

The reason I felt that I didnot fit into the high porosity category was the description of high porosity: Hair with high porosity is considered the result of previous over processing. This type of hair is damaged, dry, fragile and brittle.

I dont consider my hair damaged and it hasnt been "processed" in years so I just figured that didnt fit me, but I will continue my research.

A lot of people have been raving about Roux Porosity Control and the whole Roux line, but I think I first need to figure out if I am low or high porosity. I just feel like my hair needs more moisture and my goal for trying to figure out porosity is to find the best way to get my hair the moisture it needs.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How quickly is quickly? I also have trouble figuring out if my hair is low porosity, high porosity, or normal porosity. About how long would you expect high porosity hair to take to dry? My hair stays dripping wet for about 2.5 hours, and at the end of the day it's still a little damp near the roots. Does that sound like high, low, or normal porosity?

ETA: CajunCutie, maybe the problem is with sealing in moisture. What do you use as a sealant? Maybe you need to choose a heavier oil. Also, I think if you were experiencing good results with JBCO you should keep using it; I haven't heard of anyone who experienced thinner hair from castor oil, just the opposite, so I doubt there will be any problems.
    Last edited by CottonCrown; 08-03-2011 at 10:57 PM.

~~C~~O~~T~~T~~O~~N~~C~~R~~O~~W~~N~~

“The beauty of a girl can’t be mimicked, fabricated, or created by human means. It only occurs naturally.” ~~Pam Callaghan

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CottonCrown View Post
    How quickly is quickly? I also have trouble figuring out if my hair is low porosity, high porosity, or normal porosity. About how long would you expect high porosity hair to take to dry? My hair stays dripping wet for about 2.5 hours, and at the end of the day it's still a little damp near the roots. Does that sound like high, low, or normal porosity?

ETA: CajunCutie, maybe the problem is with sealing in moisture. What do you use as a sealant? Maybe you need to choose a heavier oil.
    I would say you have low porosity if your hair is still wet at the end of the day. High porosity hair will dry completely within an hour.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might also want to test another product to see if the Jane Carter Solution is causing the dryness. Their butter mix moisturizes my hair well, but they have other "moisturizing" products that dry my hair out terribly. I don't remember what did that, but I remember it was some liquid, possibly the leave-in conditioner....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i agree i think you mean high porosity..

shoot i was all excited for minute to think i found a normal/low porosity twin

also if you've found a product that works for you, then you should keep using it

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh Im sorry Lolzilla... THanks everyone for all of your information. I think I will go back to using JBCO. I would use the Jane Carter but I its true, I wasnt using anything in addition to that to seal the ends when I stopped using the JBCO.

@ CottonCrown, my hair is pretty much dry within 2hr. And I have a lot of hair.

So what products are you ladies currently using for high porosity?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast