Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gangin' On A Sista

At work is a sister who is different in that she's right most of the time. What I mean by that is that what she says is contrary to popular belief, so she always has to provide proof. An example is trimming hair. She said that unless your hair is damaged, you don't have to trim your hair every 3 months or whenever to have healthy hair. She later showed us proof, such as tightlycurly.com and other websites. Another example is that black people can get sunburned and get skin cancer from it. Now, that one shocked me, but she proved it.

There are other instances, but now people are making fun of her because she is right. She does her research and does not go by what everyone else says. But now people are saying things like, "you know so much", "your research is wrong", etc.

I know from experience that lies and misinformation told often and long enough is accepted as fact, so when the truth comes out, it's a shock. But the liberation I feel allows me to change my life for the better.

So now, I'm the only person talking to her. I can see if she was wrong, but she's not. We as a community need the truth, not more misinformation. I don't understand why people can't accept that.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enough people don't want to be better rather than right right now. If the price of learning is that one might have to act upon knowledge or acknowledge an advance in the communication, that response may be to turn a back upon the person sharing and ridicule or belittle them. It makes for a power struggle or play even if the other person wasn't trying to compete rather than fellowship. I reckon I could empathize with the instincts of someone in an environment of the sort, but it's better to have such instincts than to be inclined to not fellowship at all.

For instance, you have received her insights. If she closed herself off, perhaps you wouldn't have in mind to increase the SPF of your daily lotion if applicable. Even if they diss her, they may still come to heed what she's shared. Folk are despicable like that.

If you are looking to counteract those negative energies, perhaps you might like to let her know that you appreciate her insights and look forward to exchanging thoughts with her again. For some people, a kind word that's relevant to where they're experiencing some resistance could be uplifting. I think that's more fruitful than trying to figure out what to do about people making a mockery of her integrity.
    Last edited by Intellexual; 08-14-2011 at 11:20 PM.
    If your import amid discussion is to ridicule, sabotage, and/or dismiss, you will no longer receive the privilege of my attention. Passive aggressive behaviors are a defense mechanism of oppressed and ultimately even self-defeated persons. Disregarding and/or ridiculing the concerns of others doesn't legitimize or address your own. You have betrayed a critical trust I must have in you that you are engaging or asking of me to enhance each of our perspectives rather than ridicule mine or reaffirm your own biases. Express your own concerns and/or support your own ideals. Your antics reek of repression and aren't constructive.

3. Thanks Fedyfro thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intellexual View Post
    If you are looking to counteract those negative energies, perhaps you might like to let her know that you appreciate her insights and look forward to exchanging thoughts with her again. For some people, a kind word that's relevant to where they're experiencing some resistance could be uplifting. I think that's more fruitful than trying to figure out what to do about people making a mockery of her integrity.
    ^

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's why I do talk to her. Maybe cause she's reminds me of myself at times (LOL!) I enjoy talking with her and I am learning from her. My conversations with her is like the first time I learned that nappy hair can be soft! She's cool.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So because she provides accurate info folks don't want to talk to her...guess some folks want to stay ignorant.

Because don't accept truth because then they have to DO something about their behaviors. Most folks just don't want to change. Not even when it can kill them. I say let 'em die.
    ~Never allow someone with limited vision to limit yours~
    Officially Nappy 6 Feb 03
    Loc Journey began 17 Mar 07
    I be bloggin'...PM me for the lank!
    iStruggle...I'm a work in progress
    If I don't respond to your post directed at me, I probably have you on ignore #truestory

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intellexual View Post

this.. i wouldnt even waste my time trying to focus on what's wrong.. just build on what's right and eventually that outweighs the wrong

Quote Originally Posted by LuvJones View Post
    So because she provides accurate info folks don't want to talk to her...guess some folks want to stay ignorant.

Because don't accept truth because then they have to DO something about their behaviors. Most folks just don't want to change. Not even when it can kill them. I say let 'em die.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds like what I do, what with the research. They probably think she's a smartass, stuck-up or know it all, especially if she happens to be younger.

Butterfly Rose Guest

I Know the feeling, people look at me like I am crazy when I tell them the truth about some stuff

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbread View Post
    Another example is that black people can get sunburned and get skin cancer from it. Now, that one shocked me, but she proved it.
    Is this other Black ppl she's proving this with or other races?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast