Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just spray the way it comes in the bottle. Personally, yeah, I found coconut oil to be very greasy on my hair. I know a lot of people love it, but I do not. I've tried jojoba oil, I liked that too. I never tried the rest you mention.

I like the way castor oil thick so you don't need to use it that often. My hair loves castor oil, and it's cheap and easy to find. (I know people at the walmart and drug stores where I get it, and the aloe juice must think i have so many, er, gastrointestinal issues, though. ) it works better for me if i put the aloe juice and castor oil seperately. LIke, not mix it together in the bottle. but actually spray the aloe juice first, then put castor oil on is when it works the best for me.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KoilyLocGirl View Post
    Also, as Chacha said, I think a lot of us have become used to the feel of greased hair and need to retrain our minds away from that.
    Yep. We have to remember that getting that "greased feeling" doesn't work for locks since that would mean packing on grease and that will embed within the lock. It will be very difficult to get impacted, embedded oil out of the locks.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's really worth a shot to try a jug of distilled water, too. (that is, if you don't have a filtered shower head or anything like that). You'd be surprised at the difference the water you're using makes too. Tap water can have stuff in it that our hair doesn't like and dries it out more. then some folks find themselves piling on products to combat that thinking they're hair is dry, when really it's the hard water drying it out.

Distilled water doesn't have any of that stuff in it, and it's cheap to try out to see if you notice a difference. after you rinse with that, it may make a huge difference as to what products and how much you need for your hair once you start with a clean base free of minerals and hard water issues.
    Last edited by coalblacklocs; 08-18-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5. Likes uzuri liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP, several people have said you're using too much oil, and while you're insisting you don't use much, the fact is, if it's enough to dip, then it's too much.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Lily of the Desert aloe vera gel and water on days that I don't feel like using oil. I have heard that aloe vera juice is a good substitute for glycerin.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stopped using oil. Now I use Oyin's hair dew. Loves it.

tip757 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflylocs View Post
    I stopped using oil. Now I use Oyin's hair dew. Loves it.
    Ill look that up.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spritz with rose water - it's a humectant (draws moisture) and it smells lovely.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Here! Here!

I agree cha-cha!
    I drench my locs every morning! I have renewed my relationship w/QB Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm and then seal w/jojoba or sweet almond and my locs look and feel so nourished!

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    Water.

Seriously, there are water based moisturizers since water is true moisture. Oil isn't moisture. It just coats the hair and makes it feel slick. Check out Oyin's Greg Juice and see their list of ingredients. It's a water based moisturizer.

Be forewarned, your hair will not feel the same, slick way as with oil. It doesn't mean your hair is dry. It's just not oiled up.

OT Rant:

We, as a community, have a history of using hair grease. We've be taught that the greasy feeling equals moisture. It doesn't. You can still have dry hair (strands) even if coated in oil. Then add to it that we are generally afraid of getting our hair wet. Black people forgo real moisture (water) and instead will coat out hair in oil/grease. That greasy feeling lulls us into a false belief that our hair is moisturized.
    Stay peaceful n blessed!
    taraji

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast