Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reese72 View Post
    For some time, I've mixed up a hair tea to condition my hair and scalp, and it works for me. I find that I don't have to use oils or other products to moisturize my hair, however I will use a very small amount to give it extra shine. When it's very hot or cold outside, I will use a little something on my ends as they tend to be the most dry part of my hair. I am locing, but my ends stay curly/wavy/coily. I like the look or curly ends on locs. Anyway, if you're interested, my hair tea is as follows.....

Boil about anywhere from a half cup to a cup or so of water. If your hair is really long and thick, you may need to boil more water. Once you have a rolling boil, add about a tablespoon of dried rosemary leaves, about a half to a full teaspoon of dried thyme leaves OR ground thyme. Let this boil for about 1 minute. Push to the side and let steep until cool or for a whole day in the fridge. Strain with a cheese cloth, or paper towel, into your spritz bottle. Squeeze the soaked tea from the cloth or paper towel into your bottle. Sometimes, if there is room in my bottle, I will fill the rest with spring water. It's not necessary though. Undiluted may work best. I add about 5-7 drops of Peppermint EO, 2-3 drops of Ylang Ylang EO(for scent, but is also good for hair growth), and 10-11 drops of Lavender EO. Shake as you spritz your hair.

This conditions my scalp enough that I don't have bothersome itchy scalp and flakes. It also stimulates hair follicles for growth. It also conditions my hair so it may also work as a leave in conditioner. I used to add a carrier oil to this mix, but felt that the extra oil on my scalp was too much. Now, I just spritz my scalp and hair with this mix and just rub a little oil on my hair 1-3 times a week for shine and to seal. I just made a fresh batch and added ground clove for extra scalp stimulation. If you don't use ground clove, 1-2 drops of Clove Bud EO may be a good substitute.

You want to be careful with Rosemary and Clove Bud. Rosemary may raise your blood pressure a little bit, and don't use it if you're pregnant. Clove is very potent and can be toxic if you overdo it. I've never used more than 2 drops of Clove Bud EO in anything so far. Very potent EO.
    I tried Reese72's hair tea recipe and it is wonderful! I wore my locs in an updo that week and I had no problems with itching or irritation! Good looking out!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found that prolonged rinsing helps tremendously. I also use a leave in conditioner called The Knot.

I also make sure I have absolutely no product build-up in my locs. To clean my hair thoroughly without drying it out, I wash with Dr Bronners castile soap (a quarter or smaller circle in my hand applied to sopping wet hair. I part the locs and rub it in the scalp section by section then apply to rest of hair and wash it good then rinse it for 20 mins)

PRoduct build up can make your locs dry or provent them from getting moisture in them.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tip757 View Post
    Im so tired of oil. Im tired of it running down my face, I'm tired of it running in my ear so when I pull my phone away I see a big oil stain on the cover. Even when I try not to put a lot, it still seems to roll down my neck. Im just tired of the messiness.
    So basically I wanna know if there are other ways to moisturize locks without oil?
    Quote Originally Posted by debe_999 View Post
    OP, several people have said you're using too much oil, and while you're insisting you don't use much, the fact is, if it's enough to dip, then it's too much.

DeBe
    ITA with what DeBe says....
    Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    LocĀ“d Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tip757 View Post
    I don't put that much oil in my hair. I think its the bottle. I use an oil bottle to get to my scalp, especially when Im doing a pre-poo trying to get to every little section of my hair.
    When it comes to any oil that I use, I squeeze it into my hand/on my fingers and rub my hands together prior to distribution. No matter what kind of bottle it's in, you have the power to control the amount of oil that gets into your hair.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

This was an excellent topic! There is so much money spent and confusion on all of these products when just the simple basics will do.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345