tip757 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is there a way to moisturize locks without oil?

Im so tired of oil. Im tired of it running down my face, I'm tired of it running in my ear so when I pull my phone away I see a big oil stain on the cover. Even when I try not to put a lot, it still seems to roll down my neck. Im just tired of the messiness.
    So basically I wanna know if there are other ways to moisturize locks without oil?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from my own experience, oil seals moisture in - it doesn't do the actual moisturizing. as a freeformer who doesn't care about unravelled roots, i get my hair wet in the shower almost every morning. i only apply oil to my hair once a week after a shampoo/acv rinse. the rest of the week, i just use water & my hair isn't dry or brittle, it's very happy i believe this method is also great for avoiding oil/product build up.

you may find out that the amount you are using isn't necessary. experiment with using much less than you usually do or maybe try using no oils at all & just water spritzes? good luck!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water.

Seriously, there are water based moisturizers since water is true moisture. Oil isn't moisture. It just coats the hair and makes it feel slick. Check out Oyin's Greg Juice and see their list of ingredients. It's a water based moisturizer.

Be forewarned, your hair will not feel the same, slick way as with oil. It doesn't mean your hair is dry. It's just not oiled up.

OT Rant:

We, as a community, have a history of using hair grease. We've be taught that the greasy feeling equals moisture. It doesn't. You can still have dry hair (strands) even if coated in oil. Then add to it that we are generally afraid of getting our hair wet. Black people forgo real moisture (water) and instead will coat out hair in oil/grease. That greasy feeling lulls us into a false belief that our hair is moisturized.
    Last edited by chachadiva; 08-18-2011 at 12:51 PM.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to do just water sprays but my hair felt dry and looked dry....when I started incorporating oil to seal the water in they looked moisturized and felt softer... Just using water to spray in my hair while it was warm outside was a no no because my hair would be dry within an hour. When I oil it stays moisturized for about a week.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are water based moisturizers since water is true moisture. Oil isn't moisture. It just coats the hair and makes it feel slick. Check out Oyin's Greg Juice and see their list of ingredients. It's a water based moisturizer.
    One of the ingredients in Oyin's "juices" is glycerin. A lot of people use that in spritzes on their hair.

Im so tired of oil. Im tired of it running down my face, I'm tired of it running in my ear so when I pull my phone away I see a big oil stain on the cover. Even when I try not to put a lot, it still seems to roll down my neck. Im just tired of the messiness.
    So basically I wanna know if there are other ways to moisturize locks without oil?
    Why would you put so much oil in your hair that it runs down your face? (I'm asking in earnest, not trying to sound ignorant.) All a person needs is a little bit.
    Last edited by Claire76; 08-18-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tip757 View Post
    I used to do just water sprays but my hair felt dry and looked dry.
    It looked and felt...natural. The oil gave it the greasy feel and shiny look to which we've all grown accustomed. A little oil has its place, but we could get by with much less.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Chacha and Claire on this. If oil is running down your face it definitely sounds as if you're using too much. You may want to change the oil your using, or use less of the one that you're using. All oils are not created equal. Coconut oil especially is very easily absorbed, whereas in my experience, castor oil and even olive oil not so much. The latter two are great for sealing after a water based spritz though.

Also, as Chacha said, I think a lot of us have become used to the feel of greased hair and need to retrain our minds away from that.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire76 View Post
    One of the ingredients in Oyin's "juices" is glycerin. A lot of people use that in spritzes on their hair.

Why would you put so much oil in your hair that it runs down your face? (I'm asking in earnest, not trying to sound ignorant.) All a person needs is a little bit.
    I don't put that much oil in my hair. I think its the bottle. I use an oil bottle to get to my scalp, especially when Im doing a pre-poo trying to get to every little section of my hair.

9. Likes uzuri liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what kind of oil are you using? how often are you using it?

spray 100% pure aloe vera juice on my locs and then seal it with castor oil to keep my locs moisturized. I do it once after washing and hardly need it again until after I wash it again. after it dries, it's not greasy and doesn't run. I think castor oil is too thick to be very runny like that any way.

also, for some people, water doesn't do much unless it's sealed in with something. BUT i find that if I used distilled or filtered water, it doesn't leave as dry of a feeling in my hair as plain tap water does.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coalblacklocs View Post
    what kind of oil are you using? how often are you using it?

spray 100% pure aloe vera juice on my locs and then seal it with castor oil to keep my locs moisturized. I do it once after washing and hardly need it again until after I wash it again. after it dries, it's not greasy and doesn't run. I think castor oil is too thick to be very runny like that any way.

also, for some people, water doesn't do much unless it's sealed in with something. BUT i find that if I used distilled or filtered water, it doesn't leave as dry of a feeling in my hair as plain tap water does.
    I like to mix coconut, jojoba, grapeseed, almond and avocado oil together.

So do you mix the aloe vera juice with water and then spray? Or just spray it on your hair in its natural form and then seal it with castor oil?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast