Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default straightening change textue

Hi Everyone,

I am freaking out right now. I have been straightening my hair every Tuesday once a week for a month and my hair texture has changed. I want my afro back but now my hair is an ugly mix of straight ends and somewhat curly middle portions, what can i do to get my thick natural curls back?

So here is the story: I moved from Atlanta, the black capital of America, to SanFran. When I first got to SanFran I associated with black women who permed their hair. I used to love my thick nappy hair but I began to feel self conscious about having a fro after having numerous conversations with a successful black woman who used to work in corporate america. The jist of what she said is that white people look down on afros and that i don't want something like my hair to keep me from moving up the corporate ladder. At the time I thought she had a point because she is so much older than me and definitely a successful woman so I started to straighten my hair. At first I loved it. I could wear beanies and hats, which i love, but eventually I just got tired of not having any volume. ANother issue I had/have with my hair now is that it smells like a straighter. I can't explain it but when it gets wet it smells like it just got straightened. So now after straightening my hair every week since the last week in July I am ready to get my fro back. When I washed my hair my fro was no where to be found. All I have now is straight puff mess that isn't my fro but isn't straight hair. What do I do? I shampooed my hair 4 times thinking that would bring back my fro but it didn't. Will I have to cut my hair to get my original texture back? Have I ruined my hair? Plz help.

I know that I should not have let someone convince me into straightening my hair and changing but its hard being natural when every other girl around you has straight hair. Guys loved my natural hair and ironically white people loved touching my hair, but I guess I thought that because this woman had been successful in an all white environment she knew everything. Side note, I am one of 3 black people at my job, 1 guy who I never see and another girl who gets perms.
    Last edited by 1college07; 08-31-2011 at 05:23 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1college07 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am freaking out right now. I have been straightening my hair every Tuesday once a week for a month and my hair texture has changed. I was my afro back but now my hair is an ugly mix of straight ends and somewhat curly middle portions, what can i do to get my thick natural curls back?

So here is the story: I moved from Atlanta black capital of the world to SanFran. When I first got to SanFran I associated with black women who permed their hair. I used to love my curls and thick hair but I began to feel self conscious about having a fro after having numerous conversations with a successful black woman who used to work in corporate america. The jist of what she said is that white people look down on afros and that i don't want something like my hair to keep me from being successful. At the time I thought she had a point because she is so much older than me and definitely a successful woman so I started to straighten my hair. At first I loved it. I could wear beanies and hats, which i love, but eventually I just got tired of not having any volume. ANother issue I have with my hair now is that it smells like a straighter. I can't explain it but when it gets wet it smells like it just got straightened. So now after straightening my hair every week since the last week in July I am tired of it but when I wet my hair my fro was no where to be found. All I have now is straight puff mess that isn't my fro but isn't straight hair. What do I do. I shampooed my hair 4 times thinking that would bring back my fro but it didn't. 1. Will I have to cut my hair to get my original texture back? 2. Have I ruined my hair? Plz help.

I know that I should not have let someone convince me into straightening my hair and changing but its hard being natural when every other girl around you has straight hair. Guys loved my natural hair and ironically white people loved touching my hair, but I guess I thought that because this woman had been successful in an all white environment she knew everything. Side note, I am one of 3 black people at my job, 1 guy who I never see and another girl who gets perms.

I'm not smiling, just answering your questions in the most expedient manner available to me.

Sorry this happened to you. Check out these threads.

Welcome to NP.
    Last edited by KoilyLocGirl; 08-31-2011 at 05:27 AM.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

G.Eve is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ If your hair is permanently damaged there might be very little you can do. However before you give up all hope, try a beer rinse. Check out you tube (pretty dimples I know has done beer rinses) And next time, be very careful of who you listen to.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omg! the lady that told you that sounds like she is miserable behind closed doors. shakes head.....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you'll need to cut those straight ends. Sorry this happened to you. Next time you'll know.
    I love my hair like I love my 1 year old nephew. He's so hard headed, but so dang on cute!

Last CFC 5-22-10
    BC 8-22-10

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have heat damage. Folks will tell you to try deep conditioning like crazy, protein treatments, and a bunch of other stuff that may or may not work. What works for sure is either chopping and starting over or transitioning out of the damage
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1college07 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am freaking out right now. I have been straightening my hair every Tuesday once a week for a month and my hair texture has changed. I want my afro back but now my hair is an ugly mix of straight ends and somewhat curly middle portions, what can i do to get my thick natural curls back?

So here is the story: I moved from Atlanta, the black capital of America, to SanFran. When I first got to SanFran I associated with black women who permed their hair. I used to love my thick nappy hair but I began to feel self conscious about having a fro after having numerous conversations with a successful black woman who used to work in corporate america. The jist of what she said is that white people look down on afros and that i don't want something like my hair to keep me from moving up the corporate ladder. At the time I thought she had a point because she is so much older than me and definitely a successful woman so I started to straighten my hair. At first I loved it. I could wear beanies and hats, which i love, but eventually I just got tired of not having any volume. ANother issue I had/have with my hair now is that it smells like a straighter. I can't explain it but when it gets wet it smells like it just got straightened. So now after straightening my hair every week since the last week in July I am ready to get my fro back. When I washed my hair my fro was no where to be found. All I have now is straight puff mess that isn't my fro but isn't straight hair. What do I do? I shampooed my hair 4 times thinking that would bring back my fro but it didn't. Will I have to cut my hair to get my original texture back? Have I ruined my hair? Plz help.

Bold#1: Too bad the woman you met wasn't me. I too used to work in corporate America (17 years, the last 9 of which were as a natural) and I would have told you the complete opposite of what she told you.

Bold#2: If you search (not here but elsewhere) people will offer all kinds of "solutions" but the reality is that enough heat can break down hair to the point where it won't coil up again no matter what you do. If that's truly the case with you, then you can either cut it off or transition it out but yeah, it's not going to change.

Bold#3: It's a very real truth that some of the biggest opponents to natural hair are other black women. It's like we're telling on them. It sounds like you've learned from this though. Don't worry; your hair will grow back healthier than ever. Good luck...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about this (((hugs)))...

After you've cut off the damaged ends and re-started on your natural journey, definitely look here at all the beautiful natural hair which is appropriate for the corporate world. So many of the naturals here are professionals and have no problems at work wearing their natural hair.
    And if that str.ight haired woman ever tries to address you again about your beautiful natural hair, rip her a good one!!! and be on your way. (Sooo not nice but make sure you let her know to keep outta your life!)
    BC'd: June 2010
    Last perm: End of 2009