Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh wow this is a great thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]just want to say thanks to my angel whoever you are. thanks for making me pretty in pank

Yo I beez bloggin' check me at vivalaunderdog.tumblr.com (I finally made it happen).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    Jae, I recently quit my day job working with derivatives in the finance industry. Now, I'm starting my own business.

I went to a magnet high school for people interested in science and engineering. In my senior year, I found my inner hippie. I went to college as an art major with the intent to become a photographer. I was editor, writer and photographer of my college newspaper. However, I was young (and stupid) and a family friend convinced me that there was no money in photography. So I switched my major to Business (Marketing).

I've also worked as an insurance underwriter, in banking, worked with mutual funds, and an a retirement accountant. For about 5 years, I tried to re-capture my inner hippie and I worked in TV, video production and theater.

For hobbies, I've taken classes in sewing and fashion design and writing. For a brief time, I started my own fashion line. Because of my interest in theater, I also write plays. Although my plays usually suck (says my writing coach).

I also like to cook and one day plan to go to culinary school for pastry arts and baking.

I'm "worldly" because I'm intrigued by almost everything and I've read up or I've tried a bunch of different stuff in my life. Life is good.

I'm from Philadelphia.
    wow! cool story!

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What an Awesome Thread!

Thanks tjolims for the awesome thread! I have to think of some questions to ask the interesting ladies (and gents) of NP.com

Quote Originally Posted by tjolims View Post
    Soul Rebel--you're a makeup artist, right? Do you know why it is that "aging" makeup on black people in films almost always looks terrible? I've never seen good aging makeup on a black person in Hollywood...they always look like ...
    Vexing, isn't it? FX makeup isn't really my world, I'm on the fashion/beauty side. I got my start in film, however, and what I can say across the board is that black skin still trips people out. The two OH MY GAWED WHAT DO I DO?? triggers for makeup artists seem to be black skin and asian eyes. I just had a private lesson with a student this past couple of days and we did the same looks I know she's done 5mil times just fine on white models but because we had black models the last two days she completely couldn't figure out color or matching or anything and it's like we had to start absolutely from scratch. It's bizarre. So that collective freak-out factor affects everything from wig work to skin appliances. More black folk need to get into FX makeup! (I know a few. I have a girlfriend who works at Rick Baker Studio which was the team responsible for The Nutty Professor series and like films. Needless to say her skills are ridiculous...)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    Soul Rebel- since you're a MUA and a sci-fi fan, do you like the make up from Star Trek: TOS?
    Star Trek!

You know I think about the makeup on the original series the same way I do all "old timey" makeup. Does it look as good/realistic as makeup nowdays? No. HOWEVER it required more skill and artistry on the part of the artists who were doing it. They had to make something out of nothing, there was no CGI/After Effects/ or other computer trickery to take up the slack. And makeup artists back then had to do everything from monster modeling to beauty. It was a different artform. Also all those old-time makeup artists you're talking about the people who originated and innovated techniques, products, appliances, etc. that artists use to this day. Fred Williams - the artist who worked on the Star Trek TOS - studied under William Tuttle. William Tuttle was the first makeup line to include colors for performers of color and is still some of the best professional makeup for POC to this day.
    Last edited by Soul Rebel; 09-03-2011 at 09:27 PM.
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soul, thanks for the info on William Tuttle.

Twix36
    - do you still plan on opening a cupcake business?

AuNappturale- since you like to travel and your little sister is so much fun, have you thought about taking her on an overseas trip?
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tjolims- I am fascinated with your journey moving abroad. If you had to start the expat process over, what would you do differently?

*Live & Let Live*
    :: Unapologetically Natural for 27 years! :: I my locs!

Click here to PANK yourself!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kell View Post
    tjolims, how many cats do you have and do they sleep in your bed?
    I don't have any cats right now. My 17 year old adoptee cat that I had for a year died just before I came back to the UK, this January. I miss him, but he had a good run.

Quote Originally Posted by RighteousFire View Post
    tjolims- I am fascinated with your journey moving abroad. If you had to start the expat process over, what would you do differently?
    I'd slow it waaaay the heck down, educate myself more on immigration and visa laws, and create a really good escape/contingency plan as well.

The thing is, I never really intended to *move* abroad in the first place. I came to England for six months because I needed a break from my US life, found a community and a calling, and just wound up staying, basically. I'd thought about expatriation before but I wanted to go to Africa or the Carribbean and do some sort of social justice work there. I went to the US for two months after my first trip, got a visa, then came back here and stayed. If I had taken six months or a year in the US instead of two, I would have been much better prepared and far more settled...but then again, I probably would have talked myself out of moving to begin with. Also, at the end of my fourth year, I went to the US to get a visa renewed...but ran into health, and therefore financial problems...and wound up spending one long miserable year scraping by in the US before I could return to the UK. It totally screwed my life in the US and in the UK and put me *years* behind where I wanted to be. If I'd had a contingency plan, a better safety net, more financial preparation, that wouldn't have happened. But, hindsight is always 20-20...ultimately I wouldn't change my decision.

Living abroad? Thinking of moving, or just moved back? Check out the Expat Nappies group!

Don't forget to THANK PANK!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool thread!!
    Last edited by KellyVonn; 09-04-2011 at 01:22 AM.
    The decisions you make in life can be detrimental if not chosen correctly.
    ~KellyVonn~
    Patience is key !

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyVonn
    Cool thread!!
    Agreed ( 10 characters)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question for Cinnamon Biscuit: What brought on the name change? Boredom? Hunger?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One for TrenellM...how did you meet your (honorary member of the celebrerie) husband? Was it love at first sight?

KB...what do you think is the biggest obstacle for plus-size fashion lines?

Afroknots...what are you standing in front of in your profile pic?

And let's see...one more...Ooh! I know...Jaefuma...do you draw your cool avatar cartoons?

Living abroad? Thinking of moving, or just moved back? Check out the Expat Nappies group!

Don't forget to THANK PANK!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast