Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Idk..I've been totally in the dark..I did not know that hair could mildew. How did this happen and what is your natural hair wash/cond/style regimen?
    I am my hair and my hair is me, God gave it to me the way he wanted it to be, so I am here now sporting it, for the rest of the world to see! NiceNapLady

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DP

Last edited by bhop13; 09-12-2011 at 03:02 AM.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IvonNappy

You know..... this has been on mind for a long time. (and I can't figure out how some of you all's hair mildew what seems like overnight). IMHO you're missing something.

I the past I HAD to work out 5 days a week; and only had 60 min to get dressed, eat, and be at work. ARMY!

We do wet/sweat/rinsed bunning & ponytails all the time. No "mildew". Perhaps the above post is done instinctively be my many of us. I know I did. But if your hair has time to mildew then IMHO you had time to wash before it got that far. I mean "thoroughly wash".
    Well I have never had my hair mildew but I can see how it can happen. If you wear puffs or some style where your hair doesnt dry and you're spritzing and all of that (and keep it tied up or in the puff) then you might get a little something growing on your scalp/hair, lol.

ETA: OP, maybe you could carve out some time once a month or so to put in a style that lasts a while.
    Last edited by bhop13; 09-12-2011 at 11:59 AM.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IvonNappy View Post
    You know..... this has been on mind for a long time. (and I can't figure out how some of you all's hair mildew what seems like overnight). IMHO you're missing something.

I the past I HAD to work out 5 days a week; and only had 60 min to get dressed, eat, and be at work. ARMY!

We do wet/sweat/rinsed bunning & ponytails all the time. No "mildew". Perhaps the above post is done instinctively be my many of us. I know I did. But if your hair has time to mildew then IMHO you had time to wash before it got that far. I mean "thoroughly wash".
    The mildew isn't about washing, its about the damp. The mildew forms from spores that are in the air everywhere, but will only take hold and grow in wamr damp conditions.

I also habitually take shake my locs loose when I come home in the evening regardless. So I regularly get air through my hair down to my scalp. I've never had midlew problems. I've only tied up damp hair a handful of times and its always been damp when I've taken it down hours later, so I can see how it can happen if the hair is regularly styled damp.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ivon...the mildew comes from the hair being wet and put into a puff while still wet. I only shampoo every three or four days, and when I do, it is a thorough shampoo. Thanks for your honest opinion though

Kitathena...I only use a leave-in conditioner and sometimes a gel for my edges. Maybe the gel is too heavy, but it helps my puff stay smooth.

My work schedule doesn't really allow me an "evening" per se. I work from 4am until noon, and then from 4 in the afternoon until 10 or 11 at night, so I only have about two or three hours of down time in between each job, during which I generally try to sleep.

Thanks for your helpful advice ladies! I'm going to try the sham towel and letting it dry with the windows down on the way to work. I should be able to do that for another month or so anyway!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit. I did not mean to imply that "lack" of washing i.e. cleanliness was the problem. What I was getting at was that you may have to wash more often to "get rid" of the spores..that lead to mildew.

If you can't allow your hair to air dry properly, (which I totally understand) then you're going to have to thoroughly clean it more often. Not unlike "re-usuable" water bottles....(don't know why that came to mind but there you have it)
    My Blog: http://locability.blogspot.com
    IT'S NOT ENOUGH TO REGISTER and VOTE; your DONATIONS are an important part of the process too. (Even those who CAN'T vote, CAN DONATE; remember MONEY TALKS!)

ccpalm is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP - One thing I did not see mentioned is this: ensure that the scarf or tool you use to hold your puff is clean and dry. These tools can also be the culprit for harboring bacteria.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From personal experience it's not even the styling while wet that's the problem it's just not getting the scalp to dry. Usually when I style there's product in my hair but not on my scalp so if I just pull it back into one bun/braid it could be a problem. But if that same, styled-while wet hair is done up into multiple braids or bantu knots (notice how in both cases the hair might stay damp but the scalp is being dried) there's no problem.

I wonder if there's any antimicrobial products out there.... Although what a couple of you were saying about the tea tree oil, it probably has antimicrobial properties.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soul Rebel - your avatar is hilarious.
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
    From personal experience it's not even the styling while wet that's the problem it's just not getting the scalp to dry. Usually when I style there's product in my hair but not on my scalp so if I just pull it back into one bun/braid it could be a problem. But if that same, styled-while wet hair is done up into multiple braids or bantu knots (notice how in both cases the hair might stay damp but the scalp is being dried) there's no problem.

I wonder if there's any antimicrobial products out there.... Although what a couple of you were saying about the tea tree oil, it probably has antimicrobial properties.
    The hair also needs to dry. The spores that cause mildew are in the air, all they require are a place to sit, constant damp and constant warmth.

DeBe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast