Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by afroknots11412 View Post
    i know for a fact that dominican salons use a lot of heat. and i have also heard that egyptian salons use a lot of heat as well. so be careful.
    They use a crap load of heat, with blow dryers and curlers.

I have no experience with the salon you mentioned, but manyyyy years ago, I occasionally went to Egyptian salons and I've NEVER seen anyone leave those places without bone straight hair (this all via blow drying). If indeed this is your choice to go to this salon, go in and speak to the person who will do your hair. They will quote you one price and jack it up when you arrive, either because your hair is 100% natural or it requires, what they consider to much work. Our meaning of natural hair is not their meaning of natural. I know from experience.

I agree, you can trim your own hair, but if you're not comfortable doing so, their are PLENTY of reputable salons in Chicago that can care for your natural hair without blow drying just to clip/cut your ends. Please sis, search around before you jump into that chair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvJones View Post
    By your post count I see your new 'round these parts so I say this with love...molly you in danger girl!!!

You won't find anyone on NP who will condone the use of heat, it goes against the mission of the site. It's not allowed to speak of it. As others have said heat can/does cause LONG term damage. I wouldn't risk it.

You may want to get out of the mindset that certain groups have the "knowitall" about nappy hair. It just ain't so.

Don't fall into that trap because truth be told A LOT and I mean A LOT of brown folks have NO clue how to PROPERLY manage our hair. Don't let ANYONE tell you, you HAVE to straighten your hair to have it trimmed. THAT IS A BOLD FACE LIE and typically mean they no NOTHING about our hair.

Please be careful whom you trust your hair...there is a forum on this board that has salons on it...check it out...I'm sure we have some sistas from Chi Town on here who can give recommendations.

Good Luck.
    thanks!
    hm yea i really shouldnt compromise on my hair health, after all i am paying THEM...i'll go check out the salon forums, this egyptian salon was like my if-push-comes-to-shove choice, i'd really like a find a salon with stylists with hair like mine who are more likely to be able to style my hair without heat!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to go to an Egyptian salon on the South Side of Chgo about 30 years ago. Those irons were smoking! Folks used to love them but then started noticing how their hair was breaking off. The salon went from very popular to completely closed a few years later. Watch it, Egyptians loooooove heat and love straight hair even more so.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got the best cuts ever on my natural hair from the barber shop. i live in oldfashioned rural southern town, with a very OLD traditional looking barbershop, and i was extremely nervous about going on there with all those MENZ to let a MAN cut my hair..with my HUSBAND no less. it was almost unthinkable to me. o.0 But the head barber was so nice and the pointed me to the barber who normally cuts women hair and he hooked me up. i kept going to him for about a good 9 months until i decided to grow my hair out.

find a good barber who does afros, he'll give you a nice round shape without heat, even if your hair is on the longer side, he can still hook you up.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're in Chicago? Plenty other options.

I've never been to an Egyptian salon myself, but all I hear about is how much heat they use - like it's their specialty. It may not be, but that's all I hear about. Do they know how to cut nappy hair without heat? Are they going to be careful or impatient with your hair? Are they going to pressure you into a straight style (because that's what they know/think is best)? In a situation where folks are known for making hair bone-straight, I'd go for a consultation before I let anyone put scissors or any other tool in my hair.
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the ladies. If you can't cut hair without applying so much heat....you should question "their" practices. "Healthy hair practices" that is. Good luck sis.
    The decisions you make in life can be detrimental if not chosen correctly.
    ~KellyVonn~
    Patience is key !

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow a lot of heat is an understatement. it's darn near nuclear reactor hot.

never been to an egyptian salon but from what i've heard they are all about the heat.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i just don't trust anyone to do cut or trim my hair. this is one of the reasons i came to np. i had just come from getting my hair trimmed by the dominicans and my hair was burnt to the crisp coco. i wish i had known about np before i went because i definitely would not have gone and i would have trimmed my hair on my own. go on youtube and find videos on how to self trim. they have helped me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]just want to say thanks to my angel whoever you are. thanks for making me pretty in pank

Yo I beez bloggin' check me at vivalaunderdog.tumblr.com (I finally made it happen).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12