Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debe_999 View Post
    @blue bolded. British culture is all about sweeping things under the carpet racism as well as everything else. Given that I've grown up here, I find the way racism presents in the States far more hostile and invasive. Not saying one is better/worse than the other, just that there's a cultural element to how it presents. We learn to deal with (or not) what we know.

@blue bolded. So true, hence why I regard it as their issue not mine.

DeBe

ETA: @PrincessP. All I can say is that over the time I spent in the States, I was made aware of my colour every. single. day. - Every. damn. exchange. with. every. damn. human. being. Regardless of their race. I've not had that in my whole lifetime in the UK, or in any other country I've visited..
    DeBe your last paragraph is so true .....bloody hell even spending a few hours on the site
    http://quileutewolfpack.com/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what makes this so surprising is that the rest of the world is often told that England(and the rest of Europe) is less racist than America, or not racist at all. That's not the truth, but it can surprise a lot of Americans of color when they get here and see that a lot of white people here feel just as superior as the ones back in the states. I know it surprised me. (In retrospect I don't know why...)
    Last edited by tjolims; 10-02-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Living abroad? Thinking of moving, or just moved back? Check out the Expat Nappies group!

Don't forget to THANK PANK!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the whole, my experience as a black African here in the UK has been very positive. I have encountered racism, definitely, some encounters more overt and aggressive than others, but there are always going to be a***holes everywhere you go. I've hardly ever been made to feel unwelcome or threatened for the 10 and a half years I've lived here.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Rebel View Post
    I missed the point where anyone said America isn't racist or that UK is more racist or anything of the kind. i said the UK has their version and a large part of their version is the sweeping of it under the rug. Ankywhoo, we're going round and round at this point so I'll just say 'yeah' and leave it from here.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    It wasn't you that said anything like that, I can't remember who it was... hence my 'American' referance, (not really worth searching for, not really a big deal) but there were some comments in that direction. I've agreed with everything you've said, including the 'sweeping under the rug' statement, just puting out there that everything is dealt with that way here, its not specific to racism. Gets on my nerves big time - I'm constantly being told I'm too blunt

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackpanthershay13 View Post
    DeBe your last paragraph is so true .....bloody hell even spending a few hours on the site
    ...ain't saying nuthin' Soul Rebel just handed me my tail

I getting the distinct impression that Black Brits and black Americans have different views on what constitutes racism.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debe_999 View Post
    ...ain't saying nuthin' Soul Rebel just handed me my tail

I getting the distinct impression that Black Brits and black Americans have different views on what constitutes racism.

DeBe
    I think you might be right. I've had missteps all over the place when it comes to that.

Living abroad? Thinking of moving, or just moved back? Check out the Expat Nappies group!

Don't forget to THANK PANK!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know why folks would think British racism does not exist, (who is peddling that nonsense?) must be all those Hollywood period dramas and English comedies they keep watching. The fact most of the cast are 100% white should have clued them in...LOL
    Last edited by Denny; 10-04-2011 at 02:46 PM.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

mariajay is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the first time i'm hearing about this but it reminds me of a similar experience i had waiting for the tube at a packed station after work. There was a man placed at the bottom of the stairs going down to the platform who looked as though he was begging as people passed him. The minute he saw me he started to lay into me verbally, calling me every negative name under the sun. He even refered to the chocolate bar he was eating as a '****** bar'. I tell you the platform was full of caucasions and not one of them said anything to this man but they could sure hear everything he was saying to me. If it wasn't for the fact that i was accompanied by a work colleague, a white Canadian girl, i'm sure me and this man would have come to blows. There are other situations i could tell you about too. Believe me Racism is alive and kicking in Britain and anyone who believes not must go around with their eyes closed and ears blocked.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really not sure where the "there's no racism in Brtitain", tag entered the thread as I'm not aware of anyone claiming that. I thought the discussion was around degrees of racism. There's no doubt it exists in britain.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ The British public relation machine overseas is pretty good (or used to be) a sense of fair play, taking the moral high ground and all that stuff that sounds good in costume dramas or from the belly of Westminster but in reality was only meant for 'the playing fields of Eton'; the working classes and nonwhites need not apply. Hence some people's surprise that yes the Anglo Saxons can be as racist at the next human on the planet.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast