Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Singer Kelis called a Slave in the UK :(

*Singer Kelis got the surprise of her life when a man at a UK airport called her a “slave” and a “disgusting Nigerian.”
    Kelis twittered, “A red faced sweaty “man” (I use the word loosely here) started calling me a slave and told me to call him sir…
    “He called me Kunta Kinte and ranted and raved some more. The man behind the passport desk laughed, shook his (head).”
    Kelis tweeted that over 50 people said nothing.
    “Didn’t flinch. We all know I’m no saint, so I retaliated. Not the way I wanted to, or how that pig deserved. But #1 my gorgeous baby boy was literally sitting on my hip and #2 I’m a believer. And we are better. Supposed to be anyway. It made me think. This person was approximately a 50 year old English man.”
    Kelis also tweeted that she is in London all the time and that the racial issues in the UK are “disgusting.”
    “Decades behind progression because everything is swept under the rug. People don’t talk about it. People don’t fight it.”

Seriously???
    "Don't ever think I fell for you, or over you. I didn't fall in love, I rose in it. I saw you and made up my mind". Toni Morrison

Himmy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! I'm sorry she had to endure that. Hatred and racisim still lives. This kind of ugly behavior is a rude awakening to us all and a horrible reminder.
    Thank you, Jah!!!! Thank you!!!!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LBC radio station talked about this Wednesday evening, the radio host had a good wake up call when black folks, white folks (some made ignorant comments about not picking up young black men in their cabs, cos they run off and do not pay) called in and backed her story about racism in the UK. It's more subtle over here. I get the impression the USA does it to your face, the U.K behind your back, bear in mind these are generalisations.
    I think culturally the British like to think they are above the (seemingly) obesssion with racism that the USA has, but it's easy to be dismissive when your nonwhite population especially black people are only 1% of the population (500,000 or so) and are 'recent' immigrants (as in last 60 years) compared to 400 years of American history when the black population is 10% and runs in the millions.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Yep to that...not surprised that this happened to Kelis. Britain is VERY racist.

Living abroad? Thinking of moving, or just moved back? Check out the Expat Nappies group!

Don't forget to THANK PANK!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are so ridiculous!
    ugh
    http://quileutewolfpack.com/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can believe that a fellow passenger could be that ignorant, but that an employee at the airline laughed and did nothing to mediate the situation is unacceptable. I hope she files a complaint against that employee.

TBS, some people like to claim that racism is a non-issue, but it's incidents like these that serve as a reminder that it certainly is not.
    Formally MzCuteBrownLeo
    My Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having spent time in the states (florida) I found the states more racist than the UK. People like the one Kelis met are not overly common. As Denny said, most racism here is not overt.

I suspect that US black people are more shocked by racism here because it is different from what they've grown with and vise versa with black people in from the UK who go to the states.

When in the states I was made aware of the colour of my skin in practicaly every exchange I had with another human being. That's not the case in the UK.

My post only makes sense if you bare in mind the the occurance in the OP is not typical.

DeBe

Olahh is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sohful1 View Post
    *Singer Kelis got the surprise of her life when a man at a UK airport called her a “slave” and a “disgusting Nigerian.”
    Kelis twittered, “A red faced sweaty “man” (I use the word loosely here) started calling me a slave and told me to call him sir…
    “He called me Kunta Kinte and ranted and raved some more. The man behind the passport desk laughed, shook his (head).”
    Kelis tweeted that over 50 people said nothing.
    “Didn’t flinch. We all know I’m no saint, so I retaliated. Not the way I wanted to, or how that pig deserved. But #1 my gorgeous baby boy was literally sitting on my hip and #2 I’m a believer. And we are better. Supposed to be anyway. It made me think. This person was approximately a 50 year old English man.”
    Kelis also tweeted that she is in London all the time and that the racial issues in the UK are “disgusting.”
    “Decades behind progression because everything is swept under the rug. People don’t talk about it. People don’t fight it.”

Seriously???
    Wow! I have neva been called any racial slurs before. I live in the US and in the deep south. There is racism everywhere there is not one that is better to endure than the other here in the US or the UK. Im so sorry this happened to her. Wow. Im pretty sure if her child wasnt with her somebody would have gotten there *** beat.
    Mango Smoothie...try one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fortunately (for his ***) she handled the situation better than I would have. Racism is one of many things that I detest and have extremely low tolerance for. Imagine the humiliation that she had to endure and with her child present!!! It seems as though some of the younger white generation has a better mind frame in reference to race relations. Therefore, hopefully as the old die out things will get a "little" better. One can only hope.
    Last edited by Sohful1; 09-16-2011 at 07:21 PM.
    "Don't ever think I fell for you, or over you. I didn't fall in love, I rose in it. I saw you and made up my mind". Toni Morrison

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, not surprised at all by this. Not at all. People of color like to delude themselves that they're viewed as 'equal' and that racism isn't as much a problem as it really is, listening to ignorant in-denial white people, and then stuff like this happens and they get their feelings hurt, because it's a slap from reality that the lies they've been led to believe are just that. LIES.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast