Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hair Type or Hair Damage?

I transitioned for two months. During this time my hair was mostly in a ponytail pulled back with heavy gel and other products. When I was ready to BC, I could not find a natural hair stylist in my area so I went to my normal stylist. During my BC my stylist told me that because my hair was pulled back with product for so long my curls and kinks in the front were non-existing. Her solution for this was to cut the front down shorter. She said with time and deep conditioning the curls would eventually return. I have been deep conditioning and handling my hair with care. The back now has a nice curl pattern, but the front still has none (itís straight). Could it be that I just have a different hair type in the front, or do you think that my hair is damaged?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most likely your hair is still damaged.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just give it more time to grow out for a trim. if with time it doesn't change, then u'll know it's ur hair type.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where you using heat on your hair during your transition? If not, then simply not pulling your hair back and conditioning it would be enough to allow your hair to "revert" to its actual curl pattern. Your hair may have been trained to lay a certain way, but (to my knowledge) only heat and chemicals are able to permanently change your curl pattern. I think that the stylist did you a disservice by choosing to cut your hair before seeing if your curl pattern would return or not.
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP:
    You mention that you'd transitioned for 2 months, yes?

Got the BC, with the front cut shorter.

Then you wore your hair "pulled back with product".
    IMO either the shorter front section is damaged or that's your natural texture. Give the new growth some time to fill in, then you'll have a better indication of your texture there. Hope this helps.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyesha View Post
    I transitioned for two months. During this time my hair was mostly in a ponytail pulled back with heavy gel and other products. When I was ready to BC, I could not find a natural hair stylist in my area so I went to my normal stylist. During my BC my stylist told me that because my hair was pulled back with product for so long my curls and kinks in the front were non-existing. Her solution for this was to cut the front down shorter. She said with time and deep conditioning the curls would eventually return. I have been deep conditioning and handling my hair with care. The back now has a nice curl pattern, but the front still has none (itís straight). Could it be that I just have a different hair type in the front, or do you think that my hair is damaged?
    Hmmm... This is confusing to me. So let me see get this straight...

1) You transitioned for two months. If you've got average growth, that's about 1/2 inch a month for a total of at least two inches of new growth by the time you cut off your relaxed ends and became totally natural.

2) If you chopped off ALL of your relaxed ends, it seems to me that two inches is more than enough hair to know what your texture should be like. I mean, after all, many folks wear a TWA with little more than two inches of hair.

3) My third thought is that gelling your hair and pulling it back will not alter the pattern of your hair. It could on the other hand cause traction alopecia/hair loss but not change the pattern of your hair. I'm with AfroIsland, the only thing I know that can permanently alter your hair pattern is heat and chemicals including hair dye.

4) Soooo my final thoughts are either you haven't cut off all the relaxer OR what you're currently dealing with is indeed your true texture. If neither is the case, then I'm just as as you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Napia Mia; 10-13-2011 at 09:06 PM.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. No, I did not use heat during the transition. I hope it is damage because that can be fixed with time. Maybe I just have to give it more time and see what happens.

- Transitioned for 2 Months in ponytail wit heavy gel to control the frizz.
    - BC'd, Front cut shorter to minimize loss of curl from product (Stylist suggestion)
    - Front hair still straight even though I have deep conditioned and taken care of it

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. No, I did not use heat during the transition. I hope it is damage because that can be fixed with time. Maybe I just have to give it more time and see what happens.

- Transitioned for 2 Months in ponytail wit heavy gel to control the frizz.
    - BC'd, Front cut shorter to minimize loss of curl from product (Stylist suggestion)
    - Front hair still straight even though I have deep conditioned and taken care of it
    It could also be just the way your hair is.

For instance--my hair is kinky. Nevertheless, some regions are looser than others.
    Last edited by Claire76; 10-13-2011 at 09:46 PM.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with others who said it could just be your hair type. For example my natural hair is more wavy than curly in the top and that's the way my hair grows out of my head. Don't worry about it, once you learn what your hair likes (products) and how to style in order to blend the different textures...it will be smooth sailing!!
    I am my hair and my hair is me, God gave it to me the way he wanted it to be, so I am here now sporting it, for the rest of the world to see! NiceNapLady

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could have straight napps aka snapps. There are a few of us who have some or all snapp hair texture. Anyway I agree with cut off the relaxed and then wear your hair non-manipulated for a while so you can see what's going on and take it from there.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast