Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The relationship between black women and women of color

Are the experiences/struggles/concerns of black women* significantly different from the experiences/struggles/concerns of other women of color? Why or why not?

*define black woman in any way you please
    BC'd: June 14th 2010! // Twitter // Blog

Go PANK. DO IT!

2. Likes Serbbral liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the deepest levels...no.

On more outer, superficial levels...yes.

We are all (men and women) having a human experience. There is some universality to that. Only when we factor in and allow for the creation of culture, race, etc do we see the differences.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do think african american women living below the poverty level share similar experience with latina women with the same circumstances, especially when welfare is involved.

I think many women in general share similar experience of oppression. I can empathize with the stories of the women in the joy luck club
    Last edited by Vavoon; 10-16-2011 at 03:29 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vavoon View Post
    I do think african american women living below the poverty level share similar experience with latina women with the same circumstances, especially when welfare is involved.

I think many women in general share similar experience of oppression. I can't empathize with the stories of the women in the joy luck club
    this makes sense. i think black and latina women tend to have a different set of expectations than asian american women. black men and latino men can be as macho as they want but sometimes economic issues will mean that your wife HAS to work outside the home and bring in a second home.

just my theory..at least one of them

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant to say that I can empathize with the stories in the joy luck club, silly typo.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good answers.
    @Vavoon: Do you think economic status is more important than race in terms of day to day experiences then?
    @LOLz: can you expound a bit on that? I've heard that before (asian americans being separated from others). What's your reasoning?
    @Chacha: What kind of deep levels?

Go PANK. DO IT!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nickib View Post
    @Chacha: What kind of deep levels?
    On the level that we all (all people) were created by the same Creator and that we all share the same divine DNA. That we have the same innate abilities to be successful, to create and to prosper. That we all have intelligence and the ability to love.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that

Go PANK. DO IT!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nickib View Post
    Are the experiences/struggles/concerns of black women* significantly different from the experiences/struggles/concerns of other women of color? Why or why not?

*define black woman in any way you please
    On a global basis I would say not significantly different, just different. The life we women in the West live no matter our ethnic group some, perhaps many women in other cultures would give their right arm for.
    If one is just looking at your local area the answer might be yes its mega different.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vavoon View Post

I think many women in general share similar experience of oppression. I can empathize with the stories of the women in the joy luck club
    ITA. I feel all women of color share a history of sexual exploitation and a current issue of being exotizied by men outside our races, esp. white men, inability to profit as much white women from the gains of feminism, inability to identify solely as women b/c of our double-double consciousness of our race and gender, and other cultural issues specific to WOC.

For example, I feel all WOC are accused of emasculating their men. With black women it's physical; they say we're loud, domineering, etc. But even Asian women, who are stereotypically seen as submissive and docile are accused of "harming their men" in another way, by dating heavily interracially. They say this emasculates Asian men, who feel they can't compete in the wider dating marketplace. And I feel we are all undervalued by our race, compared to our men. We’re expected to do everything, but we either get blamed for all that goes wrong or just ignored.

I do feel we have lots in common, but depending on the race I'm wary of giving other women the automatic ok. Some of them will stab you in the back twice as hard and fast, just because. But I do gravitate toward other WOC naturally. Our backgrounds do tend to be similar
    ~Sanity is Subversive~

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities~ Voltaire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast