Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Moisturizer for starter locs

I have seborrheic dermatitis and using oil on my starter locs is a major no no. I have to be careful with the things I put into my hair because I get flare ups very easily. What else can I use to moisturize my locs? They are almost two weeks old so I am very hesitant to use conditioner at this point. I feel like I should be using something to keep them from drying out. Help!!!
    Last edited by paulap; 10-24-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drinking lots of water helps.

I used conditioner from the beginning with no issues. I have tightly coiled hair also though. My loose hair was always so dry/hard without conditioner that I couldn't fathom not using it once I locked.

Maybe use moisturizing shampoos?

Water spritzes throughout the day?

Do you have or are you able to get medicated products for your dermatitis?
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I currently use a medicated shampoo prescribed by my dermatologist. I also use a moisturizing shampoo on top of that. I assumed that I needed something more since the Chicago winters are brutal. Just trying to prepare myself.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paulap View Post
    I currently use a medicated shampoo prescribed by my dermatologist. I also use a moisturizing shampoo on top of that. I assumed that I needed something more since the Chicago winters are brutal. Just trying to prepare myself.

How is your hair doing with just the medicated and the moisturizing shampoos? If it's doing better, try just sticking to that (and drinking lots of water ).

Make sure to wear a hat when you're outside to protect your hair from the cold weather.

If you find your hair needs more, then try some of other suggestions. A lot of people have found that keeping it very simple works best.
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too have seborrheic dermatitis. I don't think mine is as severe as others so what I do my not work. I have a dermatological shampoo for my scalp but I have not used it recently. I have been using Carol's daughter's Tui shampoo and the Tui leave in conditoner. I do spray with Carol's Daughters hair oil. It is made up of mostly jojoba oil which mimics our natural oil. In between washing, since I am still new to locs, I clean scalp with witch hazel. We are not supposed to use oil but what I use is very light. I was using Black Queen Carrot oil at first and that worked too. My derm said if I had a flare up to wash with the shampoo and then my shampoo. So far this has been working for me but like I said, my SD is not as bad as others I read about.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have SD real bad. I've learned that all natural products really have helped my scalped. Try a natural shampoo and conditioner. Also you might want to look into peppermint oil

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Moisturizer for starter locs

I have this condition as well and my moisturizer of choice is a homemade glycerin spray. My ratio is two tablespoons of glycerin to 4 ozs of water and it works EXTREMELY well for me. My shampoo is Young Living's lavender mint and so far my hair feels awesome so far. The truly telling thing will be the way that they feel once they mature.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Moisturizer for starter locs

Quote Originally Posted by paulap View Post
    I have seborrheic dermatitis and using oil on my starter locs is a major no no. I have to be careful with the things I put into my hair because I get flare ups very easily. What else can I use to moisturize my locs? They are almost two weeks old so I am very hesitant to use conditioner at this point. I feel like I should be using something to keep them from drying out. Help!!!
    I like Denorex medicated Shampoo... do you like ORS olive oil pomade? that moisturizes very well...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics