Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default To Combine or Not to Combine

I am 10 months locked and I am considering whether I should combine my locs. Some of them are rather small, and some are a bit bigger. I can tell from my partings that some are significantly smaller than others. I've already combined 6(2 locs per a combination). I am so torn if I'll hate how they turn and just shave everything off. I'm not unhappy with my hair now, but I can see how they are condensing and some aren't looking like they will survive 5 years from now. I have very fine hair so that worries me.
    Thoughts on combining please..? Have you ever done it? What was the aftermath?
    ...and I finally learned to love me.

http://public.fotki.com/beautyMARKED

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I thought that they wouldn't survive and I was unhappy, I would just combine the weaker ones. I actually went to have my microbraidlocs combined at 10 months but the lady didn't do what I asked (it was a hot mess!) so I ultimately started them over myself at a larger size. I lost 10 months but to me it was worth not having to go for regular maintainance, pay, and sit for four hours. I would hate for you to lose that time so I would suggest combining the ones that are in "danger" and leaving the others as they are to see if that helps before taking them all down. It's totally up to you and what makes you happy!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having to think about the same thing beautyMARKED... I had nice locs that were a decent size for me, not too small, not too large, for 10 or so years... Unbeknownst to me, my hair was thinning in the top. I just felt I wanted them smaller. I cut off my lovely, at my shoulder blade locs and had sisterlocks installed. They still aren't teeny, tiny but they're smaller than I wanted them to be. The ones at the top look like they're hanging on for dear life to me. I'm thinking they should be combined. My loctician makes it seem like it's a production to have that done.

I said all of the above to say this. Be really sure of what you want to do to your locs. Overall I'm glad I started over but a part of me now realizes that there was really nothing wrong with my first set at least in terms of size/placement. Let us know what you decide to do.

positiveenergee, I'm now sitting for tightening for 4 hours when I used to sit for an hour. What a difference.

I can't wait to see what others have to say on this subject.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Currently Rockin a TWA w/ Natural, Silver Highlights Kickin In!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm at a year and 8 months and just recently combined 6 or 7 about a week and a half ago, not because they were too thin my locs are actually thick I just wanted them thicker, but I say combine if u aren't happy wit em better safe than sorry .

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be at 3 years in just under a month and have fine, thin hair. I've a few locs located at different parts of my scalp that are very thin. About a year in I thought for sure i would have t combine them, but as yet, I haven't combined.

At the end of the day, you're the only one who can decide whether or not you need to combine, as you're the one who'll have to live with the results.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take my time and make a decision. I rushed to combine a bunch of mine in anticipation of possible thinning down the line because they were too small or looked a little sparser at the roots to me--but now I wonder if it's just the new normal look of my semi freeform.

I think since I was so unsure I could have waited to be more sure. Watch and see.

Ultimately I'm fine because I always planned to move to bigger and bigger locks but there really was no rush. I wish I had maybe twisted them so i could take them out if i changed my mind. I interlocked mine so it's a done deal because I'm not willing to risk damage to take them apart.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have some super teeny tiny locks and my biggest locks are still smaller than a pencil. None of them are weak looking or thin at the scalp/roots so I'm not worried. I've combined some of the teeny ones and they are bigger, but still tiny.

If your root bed is healthy for each lock, then your hair is fine (with proper care). Remember there are Sisterlockers (the small size) and micro-lockers out there with teeny weeny locks that aren't weak.

Best wishes~
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I thats a decision you may to consider. I have combined many and its a no big deal to me. Its helped make it more uniform and it helps strengthen so weak babies. I love the look and the feel. Just look around on YT to see what it looks like for different people. Dewdrop (who is on here) has sister locs and has showed a before and after combination.
    http://public.fotki.com/Bklyn78/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@OP - I have thin hair (especially on the perimeter) and pretty small loc beds and have combined several times with no regrets. I just started the process with the locs just above my ears (two per ear) and wish I had done it earlier. The first time I joined the twists together and let them grow in. This time I may also sew them together since the locs as much longer (about 10").

@KoilyLocGirl - Hi hair twin!