Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Washing locs on a weekly basis

If you are washing your locs once a week or more, when do you retwist? Just wondering.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wash my locs several times a week. I last retwisted May 30/11.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i need to.... ye i kno its not very detailed answer but it really just depends on your own hair... im about 1.5 yrs in so i dont necessarily need to retwist after every wash, unless i want that clean-see-my-scalp look

(but if im lazy i'll jus retwist the front rows while the hair is still wet)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can wash your hair as much as you want but you'll see many recommendations that you try to wait at least 4-6 weeks before you retwist. Evidently retwisting more often can weaken your root bed.

This would mean you can wash your hair and retwist and enjoy your freshly twisted look for as long as you like until you wet your hair again. Some people have methods where they band the hair before they wash it and keep the bands on until the hair dries so they can keep their roots tight longer. I've seen variations of this with twisting or braiding to try to set the roots in place to preserve the initial retwist. Otherwise after that one retwist you will have to deal with your loose roots. They will gradually lock up but more loose roots are constantly growing in--so there will always be some loose roots to deal with. How much depends on YOUR hair and what it does naturally. People manage this by just enjoying the puffy roots or styling around it.

Some people ignore all of the above and retwist every time they wash their hair. I've heard some people say they do it once a week but usually people say they do it every two weeks. They claim their hair can handle it. Can't argue with the ones I've watched since they have a head full of gorgeous locks (unless they are lying about how often they are doing it). Some people retwist and wait a month or more to wash their hair and retwist again.

Bottom line...it's up to you to discover what works best for your hair.

Personally I leave my roots alone except for separating the ones that want to join.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

5. Likes Ujena liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wash twice a week and latch very 6-8 weeks when I get around to it. I keep that schedule because I don't want super long growth and I'm not into having a super manicured look. At the same time I don't force myself to keep a strict schedule either.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    I wash twice a week and latch very 6-8 weeks when I get around to it. I keep that schedule because I don't want super long growth and I'm not into having a super manicured look. At the same time I don't force myself to keep a strict schedule either.
    So, this routine stunts growth? I'm curious.
    Never Underestimate ANYONE

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^No it doesn't. What I mean is even though I'm not obsessed with having neat, manicured locs, I don't want the freeform or semi freeform look either hence why i do regularly it but not obsessively. All retights do is neaten the roots because you hair will continue to loc as it growth out regardless whether you do it or not.
    Last edited by Karibana; 11-06-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    ^No it doesn't. What I mean is even though I'm not obsessed with having neat, manicured locs, I don't want the freeform or semi freeform look either hence why i do regularly it but not obsessively. All retights do is neaten the roots because you hair will continue to loc as it growth out regardless whether you do it or not.
    My routine is similiar to yours. I latch every now and then because I don't want my hair to have that VERY manicured look either, but not so very freeform at the same time.
    Never Underestimate ANYONE

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wash once or twice weekly and retwist every 8 to 9 weeks.

11. Likes Ujena liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still have not done any retwisting or retightening's on my locs since May 30, and am still washing at minimum 3 times a week, and have noticed that depending on how I wash my hair, when I'm done, there are times when my locs look like they've been recently retwisted. I always start with making sure my scalp is clean, and then I make sure my locs are sudsy and squeeze the shampoo through them. About once a week I do a general swirl around when washing my hair (a la the rub method) after the scalp and sudsy loc cleaning. On me it doesn't lead to a look that says "just retwisted", but a look that says "retwisted recently"

For those of you who have the type of hair and locs that lends itself to "automatic" twisting, this may be a method you could use to avoid having to retwist after every wash. (Just don't over do it.)
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast