Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I bet you can't figure this out

I know helping us confused ppl with our hair can get repetitive, so I thought a challenge might spice things up.

I'm at the end of my rope with the dryness of my hair. It's a fine 4b, medium length. I use paraben-free, SLS free, all natural everything. I wash with a coconut oil based soap, use shea moisture leave in, and seal with coconut and castor oil. I DC bimonthly. I do tend to wear my hair out a lot, and I thought that was the culprit, so I wore hats for a while. When I wear it out it stays mositurized for a day then goes back to being dry.

I think my hair is porous, so what can I change about my routine (besides cold washes and ACV, I've tried that) to retain some moisture?! I get so frustrated with this. I even tried Blue Magic grease today b/c a long-time poster said it seals in moisture w/ the mineral oil. Eh, I have to admit my hair looks some better but it feels dry. Suggestions please.
    ~Sanity is Subversive~

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities~ Voltaire

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have you tried african black soap diluted in aloeverajuice? it's wonderful on my 4b tightly coiled, dry, fragile hair. I got hip to castor oil about 3 yrs ago and it hasnt let me down for moisture and sealing. hth!
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that sounds amazing! And your hair is lovely. Please post the exact recipe.
    ~Sanity is Subversive~

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities~ Voltaire

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same type of hair. One thing I have learned is I HAVE to moisture more than once a day.Every few days ain't cutting it for me anymore. I put some creamy leave in on the ends primarily in the morning and do so again in the afternoon when I get home from work. This is especially true for me if I wear my hair out. If you are wearing a hat make sure its lined with something like a scarf so its not sucking moisture out of your hair. That caster oil is some good stuff give it a try.
    Jailer: "I was framed I tell ya!"

Mae West: "Yes, and they got the perfect picture".

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe your hair doesnt like the shea, coconut oil and castor oil mix?

are you actually using moisture (ie humectants) on your hair. castor oil is a humectant but shea and coconut oil are not moisturizers.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^Good question. It did act better when I used honey or veg. glycerin, I just haven't had time lately.
    ~Sanity is Subversive~

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was I that long-term poster, by any chance?

Being honest: I still like the Blue Magic (coconut oil hair conditioner) but I've decided to put it aside to see if heavier use of castor oil, which has traditionally been too heavy for my hair, might give me the same results. I've mixed Giovanni Direct Leave-In with castor oil and water and have been using that as a leave-in after washing. Jury's still out though...

I also wear my hair out every day so I'm finding that I still need to spritz or put some kind of water-based product on my hair at night. I'm also taking better care to seal my ends after spritzing, and sleeping in an actual satin scarf rather than just relying on the satin pillowcase. The 'fro is my standard style, so I put my (spritzed, sealed) hair in large twists at night, take them down in the morning, pick out the hair VERY lightly, and finger-fluff.

Slightly OT: Proof of my product junkie-ism over the last year or so: I just got finished filled a 20-quart plastic storage tub with hair products. The Blue Magic went in there.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Opportunity, it's best for me to moisturize on the regular (water spritz or Oyin juice). My porous hair is very prone to dryness.
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^When I spritzed with Oyin or water/oil my hair became drier. And yes Lbell that was you, I didn't want to call you out. I may stick with it though. It has great hold!
    ~Sanity is Subversive~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe you could dc more often...what do you dc with?..do you use heat when you deep condition?
    Or maybe your shampoo is drying.
    Last edited by ebonyrose31626; 11-15-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast