Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Dry Detangling - Yep

I have never posted before but I am so excited I had to share it with someone. And since my boyfriend is tired of hearing about my hair- here goes. I have been natural for over a year now.

I have always had problems with shedding and losing lots of hair in the shower. I have done what a good natural should do (so I have heard) and that is to detangle my hair wet. I always did so in the shower but experienced so much shedding and lots of hair would come off my comb. I tried everything - no comb, fingers only, the tangle teezer (disaster), having a lot slip with conditioner, denman, doing it under the water, soaking wet hair or damp hair. Nothing worked - not only did I see more hair than I liked coming out of my head but my hair never really seemed detangled. There was still knots and tangles no matter how long I spent detangling.

Today, I decided to detangle my hair after my shower with some oil and shea butter (mixed with aloe vera juice and water) for slip. I was going okay, but still seeing my usual shedding. About half way through, the rest of my head was dry and I got lazy. Instead of spraying it down again until it was pretty wet, I only applied a little bit of oil and lightly sprayed it. Interestingly the denman brush went through my head A LOT easier than when it was wet and I did not come away with a lot of hairs on the brush. I continued to do this and I have never seen my hair so untangly (I know not a word - but I don't know how else to describe it). I am so excited to have found a way to untangle my hair, reduce shedding and have hair that's not knotted and tangly. I hope this was not a fluke. Has anyone else tried dry (well not completely dry) detangling and seen good results?

I'd really like this to work for me. I was really starting to hate my hair and even thought about going back to my addiction (yikes!!!) Now I am excited and feel optimistic. Please share any experiences with dry detangling.

I am so HAPPY! My hair actually looks beautiful and FLUFFY!!!

P.S. Sorry for the seriously long post.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love your enthusiasm & continue to enjoy the journey!!

P.S. Yes, sometimes dry de-tangling works for me.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another suggestion is, instead of completely saturating your hair, try sectioning it out and then apply a good detangling lotion on each section and with a wide tooth comb"gently" detangle from tip to root.

I had done dry detangling before and it worked to a degree, but I had to start using a detangling lotion (my favorite is Just for Me) and it was alot easier and quicker. But you do what works for you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeaaa for you!!! I'm glad you've found something that works, after all your efforts.

And this is my fun place to talk about natural hair, when my family won't listen any more...
    BC'd: June 2010
    Last perm: End of 2009

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kool, another dry detangler I do the same from time to time when I don't feel like combing soaking wet hair. Keep succeeding on your hair journey :3
    By NP member Vavoon. This is me 24/7/365 lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep my hair stretched throughout the week, usually in twists or a twist out bun. When it's time to wash I just take it down, saturate with slippy oil, and detangle with my Denman. I used to be a shower detangler too until I moved to this house and the hot water goes too quickly.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh, I recall the time I discovered the magic of dry detangling. It was SO much better for my hair. Less breakage & matting. Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner was the best for slip.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i always detangle dry. i just put conditioner on dry hair and work that way.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you found something that works for you. I know it was frustrating. Having my ends trimmed regularly has helped me in the past with controlling tangles.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the shedding try a black tea rinse. Make a strong solution of black tea--let it seep overnight. Wash your hair as usual and pour the tea over you hair as a last step. Leave it in . Don't rinse it out.

If you go on Youtube and do a search you will find tons of videos about people's experiences with this remedy. You can also use coffee. It's the caffeine.

I detangle (my girls I have locks) when the hair is damp almost dry. This means that I sometimes take dry hair and add conditioner to it to detangle. The conditioner gives me enough moisture to get the job done. Technically the hair is not dry BUT then it's not soaking wet in the shower either.

Their soaking wet hair curls up and knots more and is harder to work with.

The exception to this is when I was detangling my own hair and it was really short--less than 6 inches. It was easier to detangle my hair with a denman in the shower when it was soaking wet and saturated with conditioner.
    Last edited by NeverGiveup; 11-21-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast