JayEnn is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default singe strand knots, SINGLE STRAND KNOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have too many single strand knots sometimes 2 and 3 on one strand!!!!!!!!!!!

is there anything I can do apart from cut them out?
    Transitioned for 4 months
    Big chopped: 28 November 2010.

The sight and feel of my curls makes me happy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard of some folks taking a needle and going through the knot in order to remove it, however, it seems as though this might need a good approach. Stabbing a strand of hair with a needle might shred the strand itself if not placed dead in the center of the knot.

Here are some resources to help you figure out what path you want to take:
    http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...0260&p=8518206
    http://nappyme.wordpress.com/2007/01...-little-knots/ (By our very own NapiaMia)

I do not know of any other method to remove single strand knots besides the one above apart from cutting them off.

Good luck!

ETA:
    Research ways to prevent single-strand knots. The biggest prevent is by keeping hair stretched (by ways of braids/twists,buns,etc.) and fully moisturized. Shrunken hair causes the hair to roll onto itself and become entangled with other strands of hair. If you would like to wear strunken hair, be sure to detangle at least 3-4 times a week (which might cause breakage if not careful due to excess manipulation). Moisturized hair ensures that hair can move about and not become stuck into tangles that have formed over time.

Here are some links to help further your research:
    http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/08/pr...and-knots.html
    http://www.naturalhairrules.com/10-t...-strand-knots/
    Last edited by TheSuperCoya; 11-23-2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: wasn't finished
    BC'd: July 20, 2010
    Natural Hair/Personal Blog: http://imanaturalblackgirl.blogspot.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, when I wore my twists down and let the ends coil unprotected all the time I always had a lot of single strand knots. But over the last several years, I've been less intersted in styles that allow my twists to hang which let them rub and brush against one another and everything. That would more often than not turn my ends into frizz balls with tons of SSks that would cause tangles and knots that would break my end right off.

These days i'd have to say that all the various bun styles have been life savers to my ends,
    Last edited by Napia Mia; 11-23-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just want to say thanks for this thread. I've been having problems with SSKs myself (love wearing a curly afro puff, but it doesn't love me back ) and appreciate the knowledge presented here.

JayEnn is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many thanks for the links and tips I will try these methods and let u know how it goes.

Wishing u all a happy Thanksgiving (if that is the right way of saying it) from the UK
    Transitioned for 4 months
    Big chopped: 28 November 2010.

The sight and feel of my curls makes me happy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so glad I found this thread! I felt so alone with those knots I found myself cutting my hair more than I wanted to get them out..My sister is natural as well and she doesn't get them at all. Then again, her hair texture isn't as tightly coiled as mine. Thanks!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a good trim, oil rinsing and sealing my twists with JBCO I have less knots.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SSKs comes just come naturally to our hair. But what I noticed after my 2nd bc, was that when I started taking care of my hair like it should be taken care of, there were barely any ssks. I virtually cut off all ssks from my hair, and, I have the tightest coils ever. Trust me, its ranges in diameter from size of the ink container in a pen and like a pencil cut in half, if that makes sense.

I always wear my hair out. Every single day. It's easy since, my hair isn't long enough to do any immaculate styles. Well, it is neck length, but it still looks like I have a fade. But, anyway. SSKs come if you are not detangling properly. Each knot or ssk that you might find usually is caused from shed hair that was not removed and was allowed to curl and tie itself around other hairs through time. The people who have tightly coiled hair, I really doubt that a comb can take out the shed hair.Thus, you have to make sure you finger detangle well. Rake through your hair lathered with conditioner with your hands in the shower, and the curlies will just slide away. It might look like a lot if you're doing it for the first time, but its honestly normal.

Another thing to prevent ssks is to OIL-rinse, (which I do every wash day), and to just make sure your hair is moisturized. Not only moisturized, but also has slippage, which can be gained by certain moisturizers. And sometimes I'm lazy with moisturizing, and only do it like once or twice a week, but my hair's been behaving nicely.

Anyway, I rarely have SSKs now and my ends just curl on itself without any tangles, knots, nada.

And conditioner does play a significant part in hair manageablity and health. I tried out the natural Tresseme conditioner the other day, (i bought a new bottle because my old one was running out), and it did NOTHING for my hair. I was so annoyed.

And please, do not think that the only way to prevent SSKS is to wear stretched hair. Yes, stretched hair has its own benefits, but rather than fixing the problem that caused you to get many ssks in the first place, it just temporarily ignores it.
    Last edited by sunnehdai; 11-30-2011 at 04:03 AM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I've noticed way less SSK's now that I'm oil rinsing as well. Plus, I need to make sure that I am throughly detangling, now that my hair is roughly APL, I have to: finger detangle first, followed up w/a wide toothed comb, then my Tangle Teezer. Moisturizing/sealing my hair is key.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast