Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How much time do you spend on haircare?

Per week/per day/ per month?

I'm a junior in college, and I am pressed for time. I try to let Saturdays be my hair days, but I realize that my hair needs more attention during the week or i'm going to have hell to pay each weekend. I try to do twists and my hair is a tangled mess by the end of week one.

How do you ladies make time work for you and your hair care? Do you always do protective styles? Do you comb/brush through it each day?

Share yo secrets, please.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I've been natural, and discovered the joys of protective styling, that's the way I've worn my hair. When my hair was shorter, I probaby spent way more time on my hair because I had so many lengths that my styles frizzed so easily and required frequent touch up retwisting like every two to three days.

Fast forward to today and I can pretty much leave my hair alone for up to five days at a time. Currently I'm a big fan of plaits. Large ones that I wear pulled back into a ponytail secured with a cute scrunchie and tucked under into a bun. Their length eventually shrinks and frizz up a little bit but not like twists so I rarely have to take them down just to touch up the style.

Since I work out most days of the week, they're a must have for me cause they're easy to maintain even with frequent rinsing and washing. I simply towel dry, lightly oil my parts to keep my scalp from looking dry and flakey. Squeeze moisturizer into my braids and then cover with a scarf. The next day my braids look freah and new. So other than the time it takes to put in my plaits (which can stay in until I decide to change my parts up) they are extremely low maintence throughout the week.

Oh and since braids keep my hair stretched, when I do take it down is just not as tangled. As I take each braid down, I run my trust tangle tease through it and pin out of the way to keep it stretched to keep it from retangling before I can restyle.
    Last edited by Napia Mia; 12-07-2011 at 01:13 PM.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

chayil is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Flying between Suriname and The Netherlands
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I definately dont spend enough time on my hair. Once every 2 weeks I wash and detangle (6 to 7 hours) and after that it is share neglect till the next wash. Soc buns or just a regular bun (no combing) a lil sheabutter and brush the sides and front toal 5 to 10 min. I just dont have the energy to deal with my hair and it is so dry that after taking time to twist it within 24 hours there is soo much frizz it looks as if I havent combed my hair in a month. My hair (and I) are stuck in a rut.
    "She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue."

Proverbs 31:10-27

Just started a blog to document my journey to becoming my best self!

http://www.littleticker.com/tickers/...507zunxx6i.png

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 8 mini braids in the front coming down one side for a bang, and the rest is a loose puff, takes me all of 5 minutes. I work out most days and sweat real bad. So I co-wash, and put 3 large corn rows in my hair before bed. Take them out in the morning, fluff it out and puff it with a strech band. As soon as it gets cold, i'm going to slap a wave cap on the corn rows and throw on a cap and go, then I'll only puff it up for Church.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@galeb, and how long does that take you each night?

YuYu is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was loose, it took about 20 minutes each night and about 10 in the mornings. I would dampen, apply a little shea butter and finger detangle and braid in sections (think young Ceily) each night. In the morning take them out, finger fluff and put in a puff.
    I don't need a relaxer my hair is NOT stressed out!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brown, I co-wash, or really rinse my hair out with VO5, then I just let my hair dry for a while maybe up to an hour while I do other things or look at TV, when its almost dry or damp, I just part it in 3 sections and put conrows down the back, they're not fancy, and it only take a few minutes to do them, no more than 10. I do put some Hawain Silky on my hair and curl smoothie before I con row my hair though. Some times I do what Yu Yu does with the plaits, but my hair is more defined in the morning with the corn rows. The mini braids stay in for a few weeks, I don't redo them.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, as I'm looking at everyone talk about their routines and whatnot, I realize that I don't really have one. I kind just go with it.

I spend quite a bit of time on my hair. I used to wash and detangle every day, but now I wash n' go & detangle every three days for one week, and the next week I protective style (bun). I DC when I think my hair needs it. Other than that, I don't really do anything. No styling, braiding (cuz I suck at it)...nothing but letting it hang or pulling it up.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The twists that I wore for the past 1.5 years took two hours to refresh. Including washing & (deep) conditioning, I'd spend some 3 hours total every two weeks doing that. Every week I'd refresh the twists on the top of my head, so I'd spend an hour doing that on top of some half hour of washing/conditioning. My hair is just that thick... I only had 37 twists.

Now, it takes not much more than 1.5 hours to wash and detangle my hair, which I just pull back into a puff/bun. I'm thinking that I want to braid my hair sometime soon, but right now I'm just enjoying the ease of brushing it back into a ponypuff (my ends are going to have hell to pay, though. Hell!).

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spend a lot of time when I'm actually twisting or braiding (every few weeks). If I'm wearing an out style I may rebraid every few days or so. Outside of that not very much time but probably not enough, LOL.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast