Thread: Ear Piercing

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahh the gun feels too tight on the ears!! i vote both !

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was pierced really young like most girls. I'd have to ask but I'm sure it was done using a gun. Though this is extremely popular, it's not the best method, but rather just very common, cheap, and easily accessible. Guns force a blunt tipped piece of jewelry through the skin, ripping it, cause a tight fit, and making the healing time longer. A professional will only use needles vs. a gun-user who likely had a couple weeks of training at most.

Believe it or not, needles hurt less (because it's not a blunt tip), leave less of a lingering pain, and are much less likely to cause an infection because the piercing has more room to "breathe" and heal. Plus, it's cleaner because needles are typically fresh, while a gun is used multiple times a day and is probably only disinfected with a spray because guns (most likely) can't be cleaned in an autoclave due to them being plastic.

I can't vote but I'd vote needle any day of the week.
    Oh, and one more thing... you just read my signature.
    [URL="http://daisypath.com"] [/URL]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My earlobes were pierced with a gun as a teen. The only pressure felt was the force shooting the gun. After following instructions, the problems encountered were metal allergies. If the posts weren't 14k+ gold, my ears would itch and develop a lump.

RE: Keloids ** making a guess **

I think if you're prone to keloids (ie: family history, had cuts that didn't heal smoothly), then it won't make a difference which method. I realize piercers stress needles, but I don't hear doctors stressing similar methods. The main issue is sterilization and infection. Follow protocol to minimize or avoid situations.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got mine done with a gun in the doctor's office at age 2. Apparently I only scowled at the doctor, so it must not have hurt much
    BECOME PANK!! ยก Gif-n-go

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm going to overcome my cheapness and save up for the needle but I do think that the gun is probably not as bad as needle piercers make it out to be. I didn't realize that so many people had positive experiences with the gun.
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ears were pierced by a Dr back in the 70's, that's when they pierced ears, I was about 3 months old and they used a needle. The second hole was a gun and so was my nose. Never had a problem with any of them.
    The decisions you make in life can be detrimental if not chosen correctly.
    ~KellyVonn~
    Patience is key !

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a gun for my lobes and the 2 cartilage piercings (that I let close because the healing was too much). The gun is quick but I think that I'd go to a tattoo/piercing parlor to get it done now. I'm just a little more comfortable with going to someone that actually does piercings for a living as opposed to the person in the jewelry shop.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UGH! I should've followed the damn poll and used the damn gun! I got my ears pierced mid January. My mom offered to pay so, I went with the more expensive needle *shrug*. I washed religiously, every day, with anti-bacterial soap until mid March. Around the 16th (spring break started. I lost track). I felt like it shouldn't be a big deal because the piercer told me my ears should be completely healed in 6 weeks. Obviously mid Jan to mid March is more than 6 weeks! On the other hand, there was a reason that I hadn't taken the starter earrings out by then (namely that my lobes still hurt when I washed them) so I guess I shouldn't have stopped.

Anyway, I cleaned them with alcohol a hand full of times between mid March and now. Maybe once a week But for real. It had been a solid two months. I didn't think I needed to be as diligent.

So today comes and I got a bunch of earrings in the mail from my mom for my bday. And I could not wait any longer. I asked my friend to take the starters out. She got one out but not without some pain. Not a lot. But certainly more than I should've experienced with healed ears Everything seemed fine after though so she moved on to the next ear. Couldn't get it out. Started bleeding like a flowing river. Of blood. Then we looked back at the other and it was bleeding too! Arrrrrgh!

We went to the campus health center where the doc was able to get the second earring out. No infection but they're definitely not healed AT ALL (ok maybe a little). Could be a nickel allergy. Doc said I should wait at least a week to see how my ears would heal and then get gold studs instead of surgical steel. But when I went to the tattoo/piercing parlor in town (not the same one that did the original piercing) to price earrings, the girl there seemed pretty adamant that I put in new earrings before the hole could close. Like before the weekend... And she seemed pretty confident that surgical steel would work the second time--she doubted that the first studs were legit...even though the parlor swears they are.

This is all too extra for me. And now I'm afraid to even scratch my ear without extremely sanitized hands. Oh, and I have to wear my hair up for an indeterminate amount of time because apparently loose hair around the ears could've been part of the problem. I don't know what to do! I sort of feel like I should give the piercing thing up as a lost cause. Meh. Anyway, yeah. Claire's would've been a quarter of the price.

Suffice to say, I won't get to wear my shiny new earrings any time soon
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Pamplemousse View Post

Could be a nickel allergy. Doc said I should wait at least a week to see how my ears would heal and then get gold studs instead of surgical steel.

Please don't listen to that doctor. I have an allergy to nickel. Have you been tested for the allergy? One quick way to know is check your belly button area. The button on yeans is commonly made of nickel. It causes an irritation (itching) and sometimes rash that is on the spot where it made contact. Generally sterling silver and surgical stainless steel (hypoallergenic) don't cause any issues. Platinum is a pricier option. Maybe they were talking about a higher karat gold (18/ 22). I never wear gold of any type. I'm not willing to take that chance.
    Last hit of creamy crack: 11/24/09
    BC: 10/26/2010
    Staples: Shealoe, EVOO, CO, Jojoba oil, HE HH, Avg

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well actually...it depends where the piercing is going to be.....If you're piercing somewhere on ur ear that has just skin and no cartilage, then gun is best. If you're getting something pierced that has cartilage, i guess needle is best....I did have my cartilage pierced with a gun before though. But my other piercings (my rook and Tragus) were pierced with a needle

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast