Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ear Piercing

Hello all,

I've gotten conflicting answers to this question so I figured I'd see what the NP consensus is.

Needle or gun when it comes to piercing ears? I hear that the needle's less likely to cause damage (and keyloid scarring) because it makes less of an impact. I also hear that the needle is less likely to cause infection and pass along blood borne diseases.

On the other hand, proponents for the gun say that there's no chance of blood contamination or infection because every time a piercing is done, the piercer changes the part of the gun that actually touches the ear.

I'm leaning towards the needle because it seems safer but the gun looks reallllly appealing to my Broke Phi Broke wallet.

I think most women get their ears pierced as babies...so maybe everyone won't have input on this (can't talk about what you don't remember which is why my friends are no help). But I'm hoping a few of you have opinions...

Thanks!
    Last edited by Princess Pamplemousse; 12-28-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My aunt [who was an RN] did it with a needle when I was 17. When I had more ear piercings as an adult, I went to a highly rated tattoo parlor...I wanted NO possibility of infections. Never had issues.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input OHR. I wish I knew an RN who'd do that for me lol. As it is, I am leaning towards a tattoo parlor. The going rate seems to be $50 for both lobes. Sigh.

I wish the person who selected "gun" in the poll would share some words of wisdom
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the gun, but it's been a really long time. I'd do the gun again because it's just quick and the stud (the part that touches your ear) is for your ears only.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Olahh is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The gun is real quick.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the placement of the piercing may have an effect on how it heals and whether or not a needle/gun is good. I say this because I got my wnd hole pierced and no problems but when I got the top part pierced it got infected. I think that maybe a needle would have been better, for some strange reason

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would go with the needle. I got my ears pierced at 3months old with a gun, I'm 22 now and my ears still have this little bump on the inside when i touch them(Its scar tissue, one is more prominent than the other but not noticeable to anyone but me)
    The gun is faster thats why i got my nose pierced with it twice, both times I ended up with a bump that was noticeable to others(went down a couple months after i removed the jewelry)
    I've also done a lot of research on the whole gun needle debate because im stretching my ears at the moment and from what i'm hearing and seeing needle is the best and safest way to go.
    I'm just me, beautifully!
    Napptural since March 2009
    DON'T MIND ME, IM JUST ODD!
    http://sweetcynicisrampage.tumblr.com/

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first hole was done at the age of 3 (1963) with a needle. Mom and sis had needles. Only one who had a problem was my sister. She got an infection which my mom cleared up promptly. I do remember her screaming in pain cause my mom was using alcohol to take care of her ear.

I was in my late 20s when I got my second and third holes. Had it done at a mall. Never could use my third hole because they were too sensative. Everytime I tried to wear earrings they would itch relentlessly so I abandoned them and let them close up.

My second holes stayed itchy for years so I also quit trying to wear earrings in them too. But when I lived in Cleveland, I tried wearing earrings again and to my surprise the holes were still open.

Then after I relocated I stopped wearing earrings in that second holefor a long while. When I tried to wear earrings again, I discovered both of those holes had closed up. WTH?

Any hoo, I vote gun. It's quick. I don't think i'd have the nerve to let anyone get near me with a needle.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my earlobes pierced with a gun when I was young and again a few years ago. It's not always easy to get earrings in, but they healed well. Now when I got my anti-helixes pierced they used a needle, and I got keloids. It was only because I wasn't cleaning them enough though. As soon as I started cleaning them well with saline they cleared right up. I liked the needle better just because I could watch him open up a pre-sterilized package and know I wasn't getting anyone else's germs. The gun is faster, but I wasn't as comfortable as when I was lying flat with that needle in my ear As a matter of fact, I may go get them pierced again since they closed up

I'm not a psychopath, Anderson. I'm a high functioning sociopath. Do your research.- Sherlock

10. Likes cutenappygrl liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my first ear piercings with a gun when I was an infant, but they've never closed. Second time I got them, I got little bumps. Those suckers were just not meant to be. However, I vote gun. Clean, neat, and pretty much painless. Gun gun!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast