Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Default Sososo what was your purpose of telling me that?

I go to a university. A place where different cultures come to mingle and understand each other. Also to express curiosities to things we don't understand...namely White people want to touch my hair. Lol.

Albeit I still get the Blacks who hate natural hair for some reason. Like we did something wrong. I go on the bus like I do every morning to my class. I tried a new style. This:

I love it. Then this girl comes up to me and says "Girl I don't understand how you natural females (I personally hate it when women refer to other women as 'females' like we're in a damn nature documentary...but AGAIN...I digress) even like those nappy styles. They don't look good as straight hair. You have nice thick hair, why not get a relaxer?"

My response: "....Get the f--- out of my face." I didn't mean to snap but why did she feel the need to tell me that. Should I tell her that bad weaves look terrible and I don't understand how you fake females think that an invisible part that is two inches apart is remotely acceptable. Case in point:

So have you guys heard any worse then this? Have you snapped before? God Bless.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't had any situations like that, I just came in here to say you're hair looks so cute!
    JENNIFER L.
    My pics

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"...you natural females..."???

Good grief!

As for you and your hair, you're beautiful. Don't give that girl's nonsense any attention.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LLLLLLOLOLOL!!! Not a nature documentary!
    that part suppose to be "invisible"??

also, your hair looks soft. loving those waves.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, personally, wouldn't have snapped. Because, that's just not me. I would have just said, I like my hair, and you have no credibility whatsoever to even talk about hair or something along those lines.

Also, u look sooo kute!

And before, I went natural, I didn't really like weird/unkempt afros. I liked the ones that looked neat and just bomb, and most photos I saw of natural hair was opposite of what I wanted. Which is weird because now I have a 1 yr twa lol, but I have an obsession of making it look perfectly spherical lol.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your hair is very pretty, OP!
    I just wanted to say that I wish I had the balls to tell someone to get the f*ck out of my face whenever someone got on my case about my hair. If they're deliberately being rude than you definitely weren't obligated to be polite.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See sunnehdai, i use to agree about not snapping. but over the years i've learned that a) depending on how people words stuff about our hair, it's often meant to be an insult, or something to bring the other person down, not just a statement of their personal preference or sincere curiosity and b) people will call out a black woman on stuff to embarrass her about such matters quicker than any other race I have seen.

in light of how this individual worded it, I think the OPs response was pretty much on point.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coalblacklocs View Post
    See sunnehdai, i use to agree about not snapping. but over the years i've learned that a) depending on how people words stuff about our hair, it's often meant to be an insult, or something to bring the other person down, not just a statement of their personal preference or sincere curiosity and b) people will call out a black woman on stuff to embarrass her about such matters quicker than any other race I have seen.

in light of how this individual worded it, I think the OPs response was pretty much on point.
    True, some people's remarks are meant to be an insult. However, once the words are spoken, they can't be unspoken. How is snapping going to help the situation? That's like fighting ugly with ugly. If you're in a high place, do you want to come down to other's lower level?

Anyway, OP, don't take these types of comments to heart. It's not about you or how you look. These comments are just people's display of their own ignorance and self hate.

Your hair is gorgeous.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    True, some people's remarks are meant to be an insult. However, once the words are spoken, they can't be unspoken. How is snapping going to help the situation? That's like fighting ugly with ugly. If you're in a high place, do you want to come down to other's lower level?

Anyway, OP, don't take these types of comments to heart. It's not about you or how you look. These comments are just people's display of their own ignorance and self hate.

Your hair is gorgeous.
    I didn't want to fight the woman. I was just tired and trying to get to my Construction Management class on time. I had no time for that nonsense. I don't want to snap. Maybe if she would've came at me after I had my Starbucks today...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Candie, your hair is beautiful and your response was on point! Don't feel bad about snapping on ppl. Sometimes that "high road" can be a pain in the neck. Let someone else do the exercise if they can't censor themselves. Hell, it's not like you stabbed the girl in the neck. You are not Jesus. You do NOT have to turn the other cheek (especially if you are tired, had a long day and are minding your own business)!

But get used to that kind of confrontation, cuz those kinds of ppl don't seem to be dying off any time soon. It doesn't hurt to develop a repertoire of snappy yet humorous comebacks. lol

Do you girl!
    Last edited by Micheli; 01-26-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast