Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: build up

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyAuthor View Post
    just wanted to come back with a picture of the white bands that are tell-tale signs of sediment/buid-up filtering through and down your locks-a pic i found on the web…Attachment 10328 the white specs/bands ….build up.
    your hair is so cute...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BUMPING - THIS POST IS NOW AN ARTICLE IN THE VAULT Congrats @KnottyAuthor

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyAuthor View Post
    I can tell you what NOT to do:
    Don't put powder ANYTHING on your locks.

Don't do a clay mask (it will dissolve into your locks and leave a sandbox inside for years)
    Dont 'clarify' with baking soda(dissolving issue again)
    henna(poor quality or improperly rinsed henna can lodge in the locks,sit and deposits break away cuticle of hair over time, causing weak spots along the lock)

I'll be back to leave more later. I know that YT is FULL of these 'helpful' tips but after 6 yrs locked and attempts to use these products and build up I'm still cleaning out of my locks from their residue, I implore you-leave the powders alone! I have found the stuff sitting inside my locks years later and I'm p'd off. I don't think people are giving back info on purpose, I just think they don't know yet the impact. When you see white stripes through your locks that 'look' like link but upon inspection are white stripes, it's build up inside and you gotta up your game.

For greasy product build up-you have to cut that grease.
    80z aloe vera juice
    cap of ETOH(gasp, yeh, I said it)
    tablespoon of african black soap, mix and dissolve

For dirt build up
    Apple Cider Vinegar (1/4 cp)
    3/4 cup warm water
    dash of lemon juice

For extra cut the grease impact
    Spray scalp and locks with BEP Cleanser
    Let it sit with a shower cap for at least 30 minutes
    Soak locks for atleast 30 minutes in warm basin of water with Dawn dish detergent(enough to make bubbles0
    Around 20 min, begin spraying locks and washing with the cut the grease formula, brush with a gentle boar head bristle brush(>2years)-still in the water..it helps to loosen up the grit and grime in the locks
    Empty basin and begin washing hair like regular

Conduct the ACV rinse to get all remaining residue off the locks, again use the brush!(if locks are mature>2years)
    Rinse with cold water, condition with a clear nourishing rinse like a herbal tea

Squeeze out water with a sham wow towel-be careful to pick and prune every lock free of link and debris.

Deep cleansing should be around every 4th wash. I try to do it 1x/month now. With each month, more and more gets dislodged and comes out the lock-however, I have loose, curry ends, I noticed my locks that were sealed had the most crap in them, there was no way for it to exit, so I have sense opened up all on my locks on the ends since I made the mishap of doing the clay mask this passed summer(never, ever, ever AGAIN!)

The same clarifying technique will NOT work for different products. ACV (acidic, can close the cuticles and make the hair brittle if not balanced with water) works by getting rid of soapy residue and product build up. It can detangle the hair folicles, seals the cuticle, and balances the hair’s pH balance. Baking soda is very alkaline(basic, can increase the hair porosity making it more easily tangled with open cuticles). It’s gentle, it’s the weakest alkaline, and it very gently clarifies hair from chemical buildup. Many in the natural community use the combination to cleanse-however it is BEST used by those with loose hair! Anything that is powdery in consistency can reconstitute(separate into liquid and solid which is why i don't like the use of coconut oil on locks at various temps it will solidify. it's only oily above room temp) in the hair if the slightest thing is off, or the hair is not rinsed thoroughly. And, those of us with locks KNOW that knowing if your hair is cleansed thoroughly is a guessing game. We HOPE it is, always...but KNOW it is? hmph. So, it's important to think about WHAT kind of build up and use solvents that will cut that particular build up down.

Lint build up is combated best by leaving products alone. I now only spritz my scalp with aloevera juice and an EO maybe once/ week for my mature locks. Anything branded product with a smell, will leave build up 99% of the time. So, I just stay away now-the castors and other oils? They served their purpose when my locks were younger; but, now, I leave it alone. With my locks on my clothes, it's so much easier to control and get lint out with oil-free locks. And dryness? I just don't have that problem with taking in 60 oz of water a day, eating almonds and green-leafy veggies and aloevera juice.

Let the loose heads stick with the baking soda. Clear is always best for locks....soon I anticipate a lot more will be doing videos on the impact of these practices as their locks mature and show signs of build up.

Signs:
    grey appearance
    white streaks that won't wash out
    hair balls full of 'stuff'

hth!phew that was a lot! off to hibernate again...
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sohful1 View Post
    Those products will not be used again
    I went through that and I can only say, THANK YOU!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi ladies, I just remembered this website and I got back here... What can I say: Thanks!! I have a full time job (and my oldest child is the one with the computer) so I check this out every once in a while... Again, thanks to everyone that messaged me and helped me!! I look great (I think) and I am truly happy! Thanks!!! I spent a lot of time reading things here, I applied some, and I am really really happy. Thank you again!!!
    Last edited by Lashlady; 01-25-2020 at 02:14 AM.

5. Thanks KnottyAuthor, deecoily thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123