Thread: build up

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice Chele, will stick to baking only with my bicarbonate of soda.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

2. Thanks KnottyAuthor thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like! @ Denny!
    @the YT vid is on my to-do list...TRUST!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick question, I was wondering is there a way to re-twist my locs ( 1 1/2 months in) using only water and oil? I want to try and reduce the amount of products I use because I have a very sensitive scalp. I was going to use aloe vera gel for retwist because I wanted to use something that will last but without leaving anything behind that will eventually irritate my scalp. Any recommendations?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^You should consider latching, no product required.

I beat this drum all the time but when it comes to build up, I just reach for a clarifying shampoo. Then I do a DC afterwards and KIM.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how long are you letting the acv sit? i let mine sit in for about 30 minutes
    & i cover it with a shower cap to hold everything in.
    ACV is my absolute go to for build up. i use it faithfully before every wash!
    & to seal in moisture, moisturize locs while they are damp.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheleski you are right on - I had to learn the hard way. I've had sisterlocks for over 6 years now and I know for a fact what led to my few instances of serious build up. They were - Dr. Bronners shampoo and baking soda. I also no longer spritz with anything and keep my hair care simple. Shampoo every 1-2weeks (I use oils only after a shampoo), Condition 1x per month (acv+ conditioner) and do a hair rinse (chamomile or rosemary or whatever other herb I have from the garden) 1x per month. I rinse my hair every few days with water only and spritz with water daily. That is it and my hair looks healthier now then back when I was a newbie and was pouring crap over my hair and switching shampoos every other day. I clarify about once every other month with Joico K-Pak Chelating shampoo. Less really is best.

I also only shampoo with diluted shampoo and rinse heavily in the bathtub before taking a shower. My final rinse is dumping my head upside down in a bucket of water in the bathtub. I squish and squish my locks...lol. I'm paranoid about build up now so shampooing and conditioning takes me at least a solid 30min
    Last edited by thefineprint; 10-20-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    5 years Nappy, 4 Years Sisterlocked! Never going back!
    http://www.fotki.com/thefineprint

8. Thanks KnottyAuthor thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor, Denny liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just wanted to come back with a picture of the white bands that are tell-tale signs of sediment/buid-up filtering through and down your locks-a pic i found on the web…Name:  10201349635841704_1090515718_n-vi.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  10.6 KB the white specs/bands ….build up.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had my braid locs for 3+years and so far I've not had any issues with build up. I have in the past used the bentonite clay,henna and baking soda. After going through this posting I consider myself blessed that I don't have any! Those products will not be used again. But, I'll make sure I start doing an ACV rinse on a monthly basis. At this time I only use a spritz on my hair and about once a week I'll run through my hair with an oil mixure. I learned early not to use any creams or shea butter as it attracted lint. Once I tried using mousse on my hair to hold my pipe cleaner curls longer but washed it out because my locs felt sticky. Never touched that again either.

You ladies give great advice!
    "Don't ever think I fell for you, or over you. I didn't fall in love, I rose in it. I saw you and made up my mind". Toni Morrison

11. Thanks KnottyAuthor thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: build up

I promise ACV is the answer. IF you can tolerate it doing it before every wash It well help ALOT! When I do my ACV rinse I spray it on & leave it on as long as possible...30-45 minutes should be good though. I get a shower cap or plastic grocery bag & cover my locs & periodically squeeze my locs through the shower cap/bag just to ensure that the acv is penetrating through the locs.

Once you rinse shampoo of course.
    I'd recommend CANTU leave in conditioner & also their oil sheen it gives me so much life!!!

Hope that helps for you.

13. Thanks Lashlady thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: build up

Quote Originally Posted by NeverGiveup View Post
    ^^^ Looking forward to the videos!!!

I put next to nothing on my locks but I have been concerned about the medicated shampoo I use. (Jason's and Head and Shoulders). I use it because it works perfectly for my scalp but the stuff SMELLS strong and I keep smelling it long after I wash and it's AIN'T clear at all. I wish I could find something better. I only use it on my hairline where I still have issues. My hair line is basically loose (short) and refuses to lock up.
    I love medicated shampoo... Sulfur 8 changed it's shampoo so it just works like regular shampoo again... do you ever go to the salon to get it washed?
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

15. Thanks Lashlady thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast