Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The grey is winning! I have added Amla oil to my hair butter which naturally darkens your hair....but I have still not given in to the habit of henna or dyeing on a regular basis. The thinning seems to have stopped with habit change. No combs, less manipulation equals less breakage and pulling out less hair.

Hoping that the other habits I am trying to instill will help me keep my hair but more importantly, my overall health.
    Nappy since November 11, 2003

2. Likes Fedyfro, OHR liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ill be 53 this year and going through menopause hot flashes nails growing hair too it was thinning but its growing back I never had thick hair its just all weird to me whats going on

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not experienced thinning but I am noticing some grey hairs becoming more pronounced at my temples. I welcome them because I vow to stay locked till I die. My roots of my locs are softer but not drying.
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Now that you're 40 plus...what changes are there to your hair ?

I'm graying more now than I did. I have had gray strands since I was 27 and I'm 44 now. Those strands are coming out really really soft and straighter than my dark brown hair. It's really cool and silky wavy. In regards to growth, it's still growing out as it has all these years. My locs would be much longer but I keep them clipped as I am a neat freak when it comes to my hair.
    STILL EVOLVING

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This year I'm hitting my first ever rough patch healthwise and it's kind of getting on my nerves. It's nothing that I expect will take me out of here, I haven't had that kind of fear but it did immobilize me and make homebound & dependence on caretakers for six weeks. It was an unexpected and sudden illness and it was higher spookadelic so the whole thing has just been a trip. And then I have a large fibroid so I have another procedure coming up so this year is kind of intense on the health front.

I'm not a fan of all of this I'm going through and it's recommitted me to really continue on the track that I was going. Because I've lost a lot of weight and had really committed myself to taking care of my health after a minor health scare in 2012 that discovered I had a lot of potential problems creeping up. So I did all of this work on one set of health concerns only to have a bunch of other health stuff jump up. Not a fan, but I'm happy to be alive and able bodies and in a position to make my way back. And thank G-d I have HEALTHCARE!!!!! (I'll be 46 in November)
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

7. Likes Miss T liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Hope you get better soon.

I'm going through my own set of changes. Stuff like really tender boobs. I discovered that a glass of soy milk or edamame helps as soy has plant-based estrogen that helps ease those symptoms away.

I'm also working from home a lot and with a recent cold, I stopped going to the gym (the cough was so bad that it took me a good month to recover). With my activity level dropping significantly, I had foot and ankle swelling. That was just terrifying. I had them check it out at urgent care, and it was nothing more serious. There are just the changes that come with age: perimenopause and water retention. I can get rid of that swelling just by a little bit of physical activity everyday. I mean really just walking from my car to the store seems to do it, but WTH?
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

9. Likes OHR liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I remember this thread and my earlier response!

I'm getting weird rashes on my chin..eczema, I think. I know my skin is dryer, so I'm thinking those triggers are more prevalent now. Simple bruises on my thighs look like someone horsewhipped me... dry eye syndrome is NOT the business.

The good news that the only place I have grey (I'm 60+) around my temples. My hairdresser thinks are the great things I do to care for my hair is the reason. I'm eating better, drink tons of water and take vitamins. What hair I was losing I'm able to keep now that I'm using protein treatments monthly. That's been the gamechanger.

ava1 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the big chop at 31, got locs shot 3 years later and had them until I did the BC again last year at 43 years old. The big thing I've noticed is that my texture is totally different now. The first time I BC'd my hair was thick with no curl pattern. Now my hair curls very easily with water and stats curly/coily with a small amount of product. It's ironic. The first time I BC'd I expected and wanted curls but had none. This time around I did not expect or want curls...just a fro...and got curls.

12. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, I come back to realize I didn't talk about the changes in my hair. I just celebrated my 49th birthday. (...wow, what?) What I see now are more strands of grey at my temples and in the body of my hair itself. However, most of the grey is at my edges and it's more pronounced now. I started seeing grey strands in my hair in my late 30s.

As for other changes, I just don't mess with my hair very much. I've been doing the twist routine for years, so I either have twists that are pulled back and tucked into a headband or sometimes untucked or I have my hair out. There is no loss of moisture that I can detect because as soon as I'm done with my co-wash, I seal my hair with black castor oil, and then twist with hair cream. I do notice if I'm traveling and have forgotten the hair cream that I use and have to twist with something else, my hair isn't happy. I usually untwist it and twist again once I get home. That probably is a signal that my hair is drier, but I've always had fragile and dry hair.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

14. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy post bday Scribe! Yeh, I hit 48 this year. At 47 I was undeniably in menopause (truthfully can detect changes back to 39) and started having different issues come up that I cannot ignore and blow off like I did in the past. I will forever equate 47 with THE year that marked my middle age.

I am reminded by M. Angelou-Getting older means we are survivors!
    And, I'm sticking to that
    I'm tripping that I'm growing old with ya'll..started on this site in early/min 30's now i see so many of us in 45-60 range, quite interesting....
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 10-24-2016 at 11:43 PM.

16. Thanks Scribetastic thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast