Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion

This looks like an interesting book.

I saw this guy on the new bill moyers show and found his ideas intriguing.

here's the link to the show:
    http://billmoyers.com/episode/how-do...see-the-world/

Our country is more politically polarized than ever. Is it possible to agree to disagree and still move on to solve our massive problems? Or are the blind leading the blind — over the cliff?
    Bill and social psychologist Jonathan Haidt talk about the psychological underpinnings of our contentious culture, why we can’t trust our own opinions, and the demonizing of our adversaries.
    “When it gets so that your opponents are not just people you disagree with, but… the mental state in which I am fighting for good, and you are fighting for evil, it’s very difficult to compromise,” Haidt tells Moyers. “Compromise becomes a dirty word.”

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't get into the show for some reason but I've seen reviews of the book. There's a really interesting video of the author talking about it here.

I'm reading a book right now called What Would Jesus Deconstruct? by John Caputo that is basically this mentality wrapped up in ribbons with sprinkles.
    American thought is so independence-focused and so tied up in *doing* that a lot of us really can't fathom the idea of somebody else having totally different thoughts and behaviours for reasons that are not only completely legitimate but also just as validly concluded as our own. It really blows our minds when someone does the same thing we do for different reasons--for example--gay people with kids can raise happy families. (Straight) conservatives with kids can raise happy families. Same thing--similar reasons--but because some of the thinking is slightly different it's turned into moral war.

This happens worldwide thought--for slightly different reasons, but human beings in groups are naturally inclined to believe that different=kill it with fire. I think that the fact that we haven't all obliterated each other yet only goes to show that there really is such a thing as grace.

Living abroad? Thinking of moving, or just moved back? Check out the Expat Nappies group!

Don't forget to THANK PANK!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tjolims View Post
    This happens worldwide thought--for slightly different reasons, but human beings in groups are naturally inclined to believe that different=kill it with fire. I think that the fact that we haven't all obliterated each other yet only goes to show that there really is such a thing as grace.
    Part of the issue is that people have a hard time accepting the truth that we will live in a world of co-existence. At the same time, it is also reality that we should fight for what we believe in.

Those two ideas cause the stress and strain: the fight and the acceptance. It goes BOTH ways across all issues.

I was talking to a friend about the recent Komen blow up and I was trying to communicate that I didn't see what the big deal was. If someone gave to Komen believing they were one type of organization and they learn that they are something different, then just give your money to a different organization. Done deal. Komen isn't required to fund any charity and can move it's money wherever it wants to. Komen can do what it wants and contributors can do what it wants.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certain values can't be compromised for some, hence the black and white arguments that never meet. I do find myself many times with a "I'm right, you'r wrong" attitude but it's usually for topics I feel strongly about.

As for Komen, though it's true that they, and their contributors, can do what they want, I think that people are allowed to voice their disagreement over the funding cuts or the reasons behind them. That said I knew the pink indurstrial complex had gone too far when I saw pink Purina cat litter bags

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    Certain values can't be compromised for some, hence the black and white arguments that never meet. I do find myself many times with a "I'm right, you'r wrong" attitude but it's usually for topics I feel strongly about.

As for Komen, though it's true that they, and their contributors, can do what they want, I think that people are allowed to voice their disagreement over the funding cuts or the reasons behind them. That said I knew the pink industrial complex had gone too far when I saw pink Purina cat litter bags
    I think you summed it up perfectly. Sometimes people feel strongly about an issue and step into" I'm right, you're wrong" territory.

Yeah, Komen can do what they want. Yeah, people can disagree and voice that disagreement. That's the co-existence.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting topic. I'll try to watch this today and comment later.
    BC: Spring 2000