Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help needed ASAP!

My daughter is steadily losing hair on the side and the back of her head. It is so bad to the point that I can not even grip it to style at all. I need serious help because it comes out in clumps and its another wash and style day. Any suggestions?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How often do you style her hair and what styles do you usually doe? How often do you wash it? Does she have itchies in that area? Have you consulted a dermatologist? What products do you use?

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I co-sign consultation with a dermatologist. Also, I would minimize manipulation of her hair until you have had a chance to see a dermatologist. Have you been putting her hair in styles that require pulling and/or elastics to hold the hair? If so, I would stop that completely, too. Does she NEED her hair washed? If not, maybe you can let it go a while longer and perhaps begin gently massaging her scalp with a healthy oil until you get to the dermatologist.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How old is your daughter? If she's baby/toddler stage then it could be the normal hair loss of the fine baby hair before the more mature hair comes in. Anything up to about 3 yearsis not unusual for a child to have just a dusting of hair after the 'first born' hair falls out or off.

Other that that I would echo the other posts.

DeBe
    Last edited by DeBe; 02-11-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Her pediatrician may want to run some blood tests also.
    la vida es un carnaval.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BUMP**********************

Locs 2nd Set: April 3rd 2012 - Yup they're back

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Traction Alopecia

Quote Originally Posted by MzPurdyCocoa View Post
    My daughter is steadily losing hair on the side and the back of her head. It is so bad to the point that I can not even grip it to style at all. I need serious help because it comes out in clumps and its another wash and style day. Any suggestions?
    It sounds like you’re causing traction alopecia. The hair loss resulting from this is permanent, but preventable. STOP pulling her hair into styles is the best advice I can give. Let it be free.

(As a toddler/child, my mother used to “grip” my hair into styles as soon as there was enough growth to grab. There is not one photo of me with my hair loose. I have a two-inch by three-inch section on the right-side temple of my hairline (plus a half-inch section on the left, in addition to a significantly sized portion at the nape the neck) that has been bald my entire life. If you stop the behavior now of pulling her hair into pigtails, or whatever you’re doing, it can recover.)

However, if you continue with what you’re doing, your daughter will have permanent hair loss; for the rest of her life (a self-esteem destroyer for any girl). Mine is so severe that I cannot mask it. (It was really difficult to deal with as a teenager, and at the time, I didn’t understand what caused this.)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go to to doctor and get a consulation, and if its ok, get some Jamician Black Castor Oil, and Tree Tree Oil, a little goes a long way. In the meantime, her hair may also be too gentle for freqequent hair washes, and evaluate what you are washing with many products say it is gentle for children/adults and it may contain mineral oils, and alcohol that are damaging to hair. The information on this site is wonderful and a excellent starting resource for any person on their hair journey and learning to wash, put moisture, and learn to seal in the moisture.