Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Random Cultural & Political Thoughts Continued

Currently I'm watching this.
    Last edited by Claire76; 02-13-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: I can't embed Youtube videos. I don't know why. :-/
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Egyptian company was asked to stencil "No Smoking" in Arabic and "Diesel Fuel" in Arabic on fuel tankers...

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Some blacks insist: 'I'm not African-American'

The labels used to describe Americans of African descent mark the movement of a people from the slave house to the White House. Today, many are resisting this progression by holding on to a name from the past: "black."

For this group — some descended from U.S. slaves, some immigrants with a separate history — "African-American" is not the sign of progress hailed when the term was popularized in the late 1980s. Instead, it's a misleading connection to a distant culture.

Read the rest here: http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world...m-1331589.html
    Livin.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we rencently spoke of how black women are told to step back and let the brothers shine. Here are a couple examples.

To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    An Egyptian company was asked to stencil "No Smoking" in Arabic and "Diesel Fuel" in Arabic on fuel tankers...

But....but....even with the HUGE fail, how could they then spell Arabic wrong, and then spell it right, immediately below.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would seem that over at Faux News, Whitney's death and BobbiK's collpase has brought out the haters, to put it lightly. This brave man had looked into the cesspool to report on it.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana
    So we rencently spoke of how black women are told to step back and let the brothers shine. Here are a couple examples.
    That article was interesting but inconclusive. I just read it again and it made a bit more sense but yeah... Some backstory would help a lot in that piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana
    It would seem that over at Faux News, Whitney's death and BobbiK's collpase has brought out the haters, to put it lightly. This brave man had looked into the cesspool to report on it.
    I don't know about anyone else but I feel so much more empowered now that we've appropriated the word ni**a. It's obviously lost all of its old context and no one ever means it 'like that' anymore.

Oh how I wish black people would stop falling for the okey-doke.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    Last edited by Soul Rebel; 02-17-2012 at 04:22 AM.
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Rebel View Post
    That article was interesting but inconclusive. I just read it again and it made a bit more sense but yeah... Some backstory would help a lot in that piece.
    Last year, she wrote about Cornell West's criticism of Obama. This is the mag where he calls her names (the article is on pages 14-15). I can imagine a few shots were fired in between. To me, yes she calls out West but she's balanced in her analysis of his ideas. He's basically calling her a double agent who's undermining the Black Cause, the usual criticism to black women who aren't in lock step with black leadership.

And on a completely unrelated note: why don't she lock her hair and call it a day?
    Last edited by Karibana; 02-17-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    Last year, she wrote about Cornell West's criticism of Obama. This is the mag where he calls her names (the article is on pages 14-15). I can imagine they've exchanged a few shots were fired in between. To me, yes she calls out West but she's balanced in her analysis of his ideas. He's basically calling her a double agent who's undermining the Black Cause, the usual criticism to black women who aren't in lock step with black leadership.

And on a completely unrelated note: why don't she lock her hair and call it a day?
    I'm reading the articles. Why do you think gender is at play here? Cornell West has problems with a lot of different people.

Unrelated: They describe Dr. Boyce Watkins as a "public intellectual."
    Last edited by chachadiva; 02-17-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^He does attack whomever doesn't support his view but the way he words his attacks on her is mysogynistic.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast