Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default No Sick Leave

Hello,

I just encountered a situation I have never experienced before. I've been at my current job about five months. I got sick last week and had a day that I could not come in to work. I was told by HR that the company (this is not a small company) does not have sick leave and I would have to take a vacation day (you take vacation unless you are sick for five days or more and then you can take STD) I have never in my entire work history worked in a professional salaried job that did not have some type of sick leave. I asked a couple of other employees and they insisted there was sick leave and thought that was crazy. Maybe its a new policy? Or because I've worked there less than a year? But it seems extremely bizarre to me. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've only worked 1 place that had sick days (3 a year) and i reckon they had it because they were a huge megacorp and i've been working salary jobs for almost 20 years.

most companies have the policy that any day you're not at work counts as a vacation. the way to get around this is during your interview hiring process. if you know that you have a tendency to need more sick days or have a kid who might need sick days, then you can always try negotiating a few more vacation days. most places are willing to do that before your employment than if you're already working there and decide you wnat more.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may be a new policy that they have instituted. Did you receive an employee handbook when you were hired? Since this is a larger company, I can't see them not giving one out. If you can't find it, request a new one. Everything should be detailed in there.

I will say that I like it best when all the time off is treated as one category. We just called it paid time off to differentiate it from leave without pay. Somehow it made it easier to take "mental health" days without feeling guilty about it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of these policies should be outlined in your employee handbook. Also, this should have been covered in your offer letter when you took the job.

If you don't have copies of these, ask for them immediately.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just looked at the employee handbook. Its not explicitly stated. Part time employees have vacation and sick leave, but for fulltime employees they only talk about vacation (not paid time off, which is what it is usually called if all your leave is in one big pot.) They don't mention that there is no sick leave policy. and of course they have STD and LTD info. But what is strange is that other people have told me that they have taken sick leave that was not part of their vacation time. I'll haveto investigate further.

twix36 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl2012 View Post
    i've only worked 1 place that had sick days (3 a year) and i reckon they had it because they were a huge megacorp and i've been working salary jobs for almost 20 years.

most companies have the policy that any day you're not at work counts as a vacation. the way to get around this is during your interview hiring process. if you know that you have a tendency to need more sick days or have a kid who might need sick days, then you can always try negotiating a few more vacation days. most places are willing to do that before your employment than if you're already working there and decide you wnat more.
    Really GG?!

I'm struggling on this job I'm on now because they only give 1 week of sick time. I've NEVER in 20 yrs of working worked at a company with only 1 wk of sick time. They also don't go by the calendar year, it's a rolling 12 months, so time I took last year is still counting against me...hate this job!!!

OP..sorry for veering off. I would check the handbook or ask the HR person. Maybe it's because you have been there less than a year. For instance on my job, I just celebrated a year on 2/7 and I'm just now eligible for vacation time. I had to work ALL of last year with no vacation (which is why I called in sick so often...LOL).

Hope you find out something soon.
    Formerly known as New2natural1

April 4th--2 years fully natural

Thanks for Panking me!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is STD?....
    the artist formerly known as Electra

twix36 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Pamplemousse View Post
    What is STD?....
    Short term disability.

LTD=long term disability
    Formerly known as New2natural1

April 4th--2 years fully natural

Thanks for Panking me!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been with the same company for 15 years, always salaried and it's a fairly large insurance company. We don't have sick leave, just PTO (paid time off) which you use for any absence from work. I prefer this method over having sick time and PTO because generally if you have both, you get shortchanged on vacation time (if you never get sick, you don't use the sick time, but then you also don't accrue as much PTO since they are giving you both). We do require (the handbook does) that people keep 5 days PTO available in case they have to go out on disability so they aren't without pay while they meet the elimination period (the period of time you have to be disabled before short term disability will begin).

Example: new people who start here get 4 personal days (in case you want to celebrate a holiday that doesn't get globally celebrated in your location) plus 1.5 days PTO per month, up to 15 days a year and no sick time.

I'd imagine that if they offered sick time, they would cut the PTO back by a week to make up for the inclusion of sick time (and with most sick time policies, if you are out for more than 3 days sick, you have to have a doctor's note) so that would leave them with 10 days PTO. If that person never took sick time, they'd miss out on a week's vacation just to have that sick time.

Most insurance companies require that you be absent from work (and not receiving a regular paycheck) and disabled for a short period of time before receiving STD benefits (the industry standard is 5 to 7 days for STD and 180 days for LTD).
    Last edited by ChandraNH; 02-14-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twix36 View Post
    Short term disability.

LTD=long term disability
    Thank you.
    the artist formerly known as Electra