Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default retwisting in the long run = thinning?

i dont know if this is false information, but this guy is making it seem as if twisting will inevitably lead to breakage.. and the site this is from supports this claim. (dreadlockssite.com) he was getting his locs done weekly.. he had his locs for 12 yrs and they are breaking off. sad sad sad. should you start retwisting less as your locs mature? what else can be done to prevent this?

Last edited by Vavoon; 02-16-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard that retwisting too much can lead to damage. It seems like the site mentioned is taking more of a purist approach. No retwist = no damage altogether.

Curious to hear from long term locers.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've read in my research, weekly retwisting seems excessive anyway. I'm surprised it took 12 years for him to see the consequences.

I don't think it is inevitable that locs will thin from retwisting. Other factors such as genetic conditions, health issues, and over-manipulation are more likely to cause thinning.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Favoured1 View Post
    From what I've read in my research, weekly retwisting seems excessive anyway. I'm surprised it took 12 years for him to see the consequences.
    I have a co-worker with waist-length locs she's had about 15 years and she said she re-twists every 7-10 days, the most she's ever gone without re-twisting has been 2 weeks. Her roots look strong and healthy, and her locs are medium width. I was shocked. I had NEVER heard of anyone re-twisting their hair that often without some thinning or other damage resulting from it. Shoot, I don't even re-do my 2-strand twists that often! I personally wouldn't recommend retwisting that often, but it has been done.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I've heard time and time again that retwisting too often could lead to locs that will eventally break off, looking at the pic makes me think it could be male pattern baldness.
    Stand For Something, or You'll Fall For Anything
    BC 5/23/09
    loc journey 9/6/10

http://members.fotki.com/Chocodoll/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anything that you do to locks to the extreme (latching, twisting, palmrolling, etc.) will eventually lead to breakage. Many times it's not the technique itself that is the culprit, but if it's done incorrectly or too often is where the problem lies. I've been latching my locks for almost 10 years (this February) and I have never had a problem with broken or weak locks because of latching.

As I have learned what my hair needed and responded to favorably and unfavorably, I now don't latch my hair as often as I use to in the beginning, and my locks have thrived even more.
    Some peoples locks can tolerate more latching, twisting, palm rolling, whatever, than others...and some cannot. It's all a matter in finding out what works for YOUR locks, and to treat them accordingly.
    Last edited by Veviticus; 02-16-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me it depends on the thickness of the strands of hair that has been mattered together. If u have fine hair...and ur retwisting every week?!..........DUH!

Fine hair that has formed a dread is still not as strong as course hair that has formed a dread imo.
    I plan to retwist the day b4 my birthday (maybe my first and last time) and I ain't worried. Lol imo the ppl who get their dread retwistted every single week r the same ppl who say their dreads r "nappy" when the hair grows out....just pure ignorance...and my sympathy for them has dwindled...well is non existent lol... should have done their research.
    http://images.meez.com/user/3/5/7/8/...ot_175x233.gif
    I'M BACK IN THE GAME BABY!!!

Locking it up TSTs locked for 2 days HA!!!!! })

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chocodoll
    looking at the pic makes me think it could be male pattern baldness.
    That's what it looks like to me also.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I see, posters on NP overwhelmingly advocate retwisting no more than once a month. Those who don't over do things seem able to grow long locks ok.

Retwisting too tightly or with too much force on a regular basis can of course make a difference also.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i feel like that site is very pro-freeform/organic. they make it seem as if twisting will inevitably lead to damage, even if you don't twist often.

just look at this one comment,
    " every single thing salons do is harmful but letting dreads be natural they stay healthy happy and strong i cringe when i see what salons do so many salon dreads end up started over in under 3 weeks do u know theres even salons that coat straight hair in liquid latex and call it dreads? i guess thers 1% out there that arent so bad but id never let any salon touch my dreads! never had never will i never did anything to mine at all"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast