Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    The thing is...what Mayweather said is actually true. However, what he said wasn't racist.

In the real world, basketball is seem as a Black dominated sport. When a white guy comes up like that, he get some attention also. But when an Asian person does it, it's just a bigger "oddity" since Asians don't have the sport stereotype.

Recap:

Floyd Mayweather: not racist
    Jenny Hyun: crazy racist
    Really? Then I guess you didn't click on the link in my post above. Here, I'll help you out... Check out the video in the link below...

Source:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_703731.html

Floyd Mayweather Jr. went on an racist and homophobic rant about Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao this morning via Ustream. Mayweather referred to Pacquiao as a midget several times and said that once he beats his rival (if the fight ever happens), he will force Pacquiao to "make some sushi rolls and cook some rice." He also said "we're going to cook him with some cats and dogs." Scroll down for the video, which was flagged by You Been Blinded.

So what make's what he said any different than the mess that Hyun spewed in her tweet?

In my book, we must apply the same standard that makes Hyun's mess racist to Mayweather as well. On the face of it, Mayweather's comment about Lin may not seem racist, but I took it to have some racist under tones. After seeing that video on his comment about Pacquiao eating rice and dogs, now I'm positive he meant it in a racist light. That man ain't wrapped to tight if you ask me.
    Last edited by Napia Mia; 02-20-2012 at 05:31 PM.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    The thing is...what Mayweather said is actually true. However, what he said wasn't racist.
    So what if Da'Shawn Howard won top college honours in physics, beating out everyone in his path getting praise and recognition for his accomplishments. And here comes Miss Hyun tweeting something like: "Da'Shawn ain't that special, Asian kids do it in their sleep everyday". Technically, what she'd say is true. So not racist?
    Last edited by Karibana; 02-20-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    So what if Da'Shawn Howard won top college honours in physics, beating out everyone in his path getting praise and recognition for his accomplishments. And here comes Miss Hyun had tweeted something like: "Da'Shawn ain't that special, Asian kids do it in their sleep everyday". Technically, what she'd say is true. So not racist?
    Exactly. Brutha got issues. This guy is not only noteworthy because of his talent, but because he's Asian as well. Shoot, I'ma 'bout to get on the Lin bandwagon myself. LOL!
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Napia Mia View Post
    Really? Then I guess you didn't click on the link in my post above. Here, I'll help you out... Check out the video in the link below...
    Whoa. I was only commenting on the one quote about Lin. That one quote is not racist. Whether Mayweather overall is a racist is another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    So what if Da'Shawn Howard won top college honours in physics, beating out everyone in his path getting praise and recognition for his accomplishments. And here comes Miss Hyun tweeting something like: "Da'Shawn ain't that special, Asian kids do it in their sleep everyday". Technically, what she'd say is true. So not racist?
    ^This is NOT the same type of quote. If you read the Mayweather quote, he was saying that all the HYPE and media coverage is due to Lin being Asian. If a Black person publicly did something that was "against type," they would get a lot of media hype and attention also. Isn't that what we saw with Barack Obama?

That's not taking aware from the person's skill or ability. I'm talking about media attention. Media looks out for things that are not "ordinary" in the public consciousness.
    Last edited by chachadiva; 02-20-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*****es be racist.
    Yeah. I said it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The petition is closed already.

It is amazing how this Chinese basketball player has flushed out all these racist rants. My goodness! Have they been bubbling up inside and just waiting for a good occasion to let it all out...The ESPN editor, crazy Floyd, and now this lady. And do they think that it is okay to spout off like this and then just go on about their lives without any recourse???
    Last edited by lin19lyn; 02-20-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    BC'd: June 2010
    Last perm: End of 2009

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SMH. I'm getting fed up now. Interesting how quick people we walk with on an everyday basis are to start calling us apes, monkeys, n*****s etc when stuff happens. Look at the video of "Dereck Chisora slaps Vitali Klitschko at weigh-in" on Youtube and read the comments. Immediately people start talking about how "backwards" and "primal" we are. Isht is making my head hurt.
    ~Ghanaian princess~
    My Loc Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lin19lyn View Post
    The petition is closed already.

It is amazing how this Chinese basketball player has flushed out all these racist rants. My goodness! Have they been bubbling up inside and just waiting for a good occasion to let it all out...The ESPN editor, crazy Floyd, and now this lady. And do they think that it is okay to spout off like this and then just go on about their lives without any recourse???
    Yep. Clearly, we're bad tempered apes, so who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by GorgeousKinkz View Post
    SMH. I'm getting fed up now. Interesting how quick people we walk with on an everyday basis are to start calling us apes, monkeys, n*****s etc when stuff happens. Look at the video of "Dereck Chisora slaps Vitali Klitschko at weigh-in" on Youtube and read the comments. Immediately people start talking about how "backwards" and "primal" we are. Isht is making my head hurt.
    I think the Internet gives people leave to act without thinking it through. You can read that as good if you're all about keeping it real. You can read it as bad if you have a respect for order. However, people don't spout off like that to someone's face because they know they'd get the crap slapped out of them plain and simple.

However, with the barrier of the computer and the keyboard, they feel safe just to let their inner racist run free: free range racists for everyone! (However, this is all across the Internet in comment threads, forums and other stuff; people just feel it's okay to be totally rude.)

I also think with the browning of America there is going to be a lot more of this. Although the person who made the comments that inspired this thread is Asian, whites are reacting in various ways to losing their majority influence. We've seen people acting out after Obama became a viable candidate and not just an impressive young black Senator from Illinois. Once he became President we've had people disrespecting him. The governor of Arizona wagging her finger in his face like he was a child? Come on. No matter how much George W. was disliked, I don't recall anything similar. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing I remember on that level was in Iraq when a shoe got thrown at him.)

Anyway, I expect it to get worse. A lot of Asians come to America and take on the racist attitudes of the majority. L.A.-based Koreans I don't think will ever get over what happened during the Rodney King riots and that factors in big time. However, if we reacted the same way because there was that case where a Korean store owner shot and killed a young black girl in her store, they'd cry foul.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree Mayweather's comments were derogatory, or, racist, if you will. He certainly was not being complimentary. We still live in a very race conscious society...race conscious in a pathological way...so comments like from Mayweather and Hyun will continue until people grow up and start looking beyond race. We got a loooong way to go.
    BC: Spring 2000

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Just... that girl... Sadly the petition was closed. I don't even know what to say about that.

What Mayweather said may not be According to Hoyle racist but it was certainly biased, ignorant and at least partially not true. In my opinion - based on 30+ years of being an NBA fan - I'd say that his being Asian has been more of a hindrance than a help to his career. Jeremy is surely getting some of the attention he is because he's Asian, sure. It is a first for an Asian American and that's exciting and - quite frankly - I'm sure that the NBA would like to fill the Chinese market void left from Yao Ming's retirement (HUGE NBA market created in China behind Yao Ming). That in no way changes the fact, however, that Jeremy Lin got his HS team to a championship and performed well enough in college to attract scouts despite being from an Ivy League school (he would have been the first ever Ivy League draftee had he been drafted). He went undrafted and was invited to the NBA summer league by only one team and statistically out-peformed John Wall (who is Black). John Wall went on to be a #1 draft pick, Jeremy Lin received a guaranteed contract offer from only ONE team and after one season was subsequently sent to the D-League.

Cut to now on the NY Knicks: Coach D'Antoni was about 5 minutes away from a street corner holding a "Will Coach for Food" sign in his hand. Now every team in the league is realizing what a Massive. Mistake. they made in passing over Lin instead of developing him for their roster. Meanwhile super-hype poster boy John Wall's Washington Wizards is one of the worst teams in the league (It's always a race for the bottom between them, the Bobcats and the Hornets. I forget who is on the bottom right now.)

For Mayweather to ignore all that and the numbers Lin is putting up and how he single handedly turned the Knicks ship around (the Knicks were having yet another losing season with little hope of reaching the Playoffs despite having 2 All Stars) and say that Lin is only getting the attention he is because he's Asian is .... if it isn't racist I don't know what you'd call it. Supreme ignorance to give him the benefit of a doubt.
    Last edited by Soul Rebel; 02-21-2012 at 12:03 AM.
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast