Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    Whoa. I was only commenting on the one quote about Lin. That one quote is not racist. Whether Mayweather overall is a racist is another issue.

^This is NOT the same type of quote. If you read the Mayweather quote, he was saying that all the HYPE and media coverage is due to Lin being Asian. If a Black person publicly did something that was "against type," they would get a lot of media hype and attention also. Isn't that what we saw with Barack Obama?

That's not taking aware from the person's skill or ability. I'm talking about media attention. Media looks out for things that are not "ordinary" in the public consciousness.
    But what Lin did IS newsworth. Just as what Labron did when he lead the Cavaliers. What he did, regardless of the fact that he's black in a black dominated sport, garnered attention because it's news.

Same thing with Lin. This young man has had some phenomenal success as an undrafted started. Consider:

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Lin is the first player to score 20 or more points in each of his first five starts, whose team has won all those games, since the ABA-NBA merger in 1976-77. And his 136 points in those starts is the highest total for a player in his first five starts since John Drew scored 139 points for the Hawks in the 1974-75 season.
    THIS is news. It helps that he's Asian, but I don't think he got the attention JUST because he's Asian. He could have been black and under the same circumstance, garnered the same media attention. The Asian angle certainly helps but if he were Asian and a piss poor player, no would have paid him any mind.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^True. He would have gotten a few write ups. However, international Lin fever in the media? IDK.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^Oh good grief Chacha, you're starting to make me become an expert on Lin and before this thread I'd never heard of the guy. LOL. Now I want a Linmania T shirt.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That's why I love a good discussion. It forces us to research, learn and grow. In the end, we both have learned something.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mayweather is racist? Based on the tweet about Lin??? He didn't call the boy out of his name, he didn't threaten his race with extinction, he didn't say he hated him because of his race, he didn't say people of that race shouldn't be allowed to play bball, he said ~If Lin was black, the media wouldn't be this hyped~....black people can't even voice opinions no more without being lumped in with the Jenny Hyuns of the world?

Can someone help me out? What makes a racist?
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    So what if Da'Shawn Howard won top college honours in physics, beating out everyone in his path getting praise and recognition for his accomplishments. And here comes Miss Hyun tweeting something like: "Da'Shawn ain't that special, Asian kids do it in their sleep everyday". Technically, what she'd say is true. So not racist?
    Nope, statement of fact. Perhaps, not a constructive thing to say...but racist? For serious? Maybe if she added, "Asian kids do it everyday because black students lack the one muscle that matters: the brain".

Which is pretty much what she said, if I remember correctly...lol. You'd equate that with Mayweather's observation?
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Pamplemousse View Post
    Mayweather is racist? Based on the tweet about Lin??? He didn't call the boy out of his name, he didn't threaten his race with extinction, he didn't say he hated him because of his race, he didn't say people of that race shouldn't be allowed to play bball, he said ~If Lin was black, the media wouldn't be this hyped~....black people can't even voice opinions no more without being lumped in with the Jenny Hyuns of the world?

Can someone help me out? What makes a racist?
    I would say its derogatory rather than racist, imo.
    BC: Spring 2000

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Pamplemousse View Post
    Nope, statement of fact. Perhaps, not a constructive thing to say...but racist? For serious? Maybe if she added, "Asian kids do it everyday because black students lack the one muscle that matters: the brain".

Which is pretty much what she said, if I remember correctly...lol. You'd equate that with Mayweather's observation?
    Yes. There is a context and history behind what he wrote, the fact that he said was factual doesn't change it. And I do believe that if a tweet like the example I wrote had come out, many wouldn't be so willing to say: "well, it's true" or "it's derogatory not racist".

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chick showed her true colors. All the mental hospital checking in won't save her.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She deleted her original apology but it was cached. Here it is. She isn't even worth me getting angry over. She does get a full side eye for her original comments and her half-assed apology.

She says violence is not the answer...lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast