Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
Whoa. I was only commenting on the one quote about Lin. That one quote is not racist. Whether Mayweather overall is a racist is another issue.

^This is NOT the same type of quote. If you read the Mayweather quote, he was saying that all the HYPE and media coverage is due to Lin being Asian. If a Black person publicly did something that was "against type," they would get a lot of media hype and attention also. Isn't that what we saw with Barack Obama?

That's not taking aware from the person's skill or ability. I'm talking about media attention. Media looks out for things that are not "ordinary" in the public consciousness.
But what Lin did IS newsworth. Just as what Labron did when he lead the Cavaliers. What he did, regardless of the fact that he's black in a black dominated sport, garnered attention because it's news.

Same thing with Lin. This young man has had some phenomenal success as an undrafted started. Consider:

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Lin is the first player to score 20 or more points in each of his first five starts, whose team has won all those games, since the ABA-NBA merger in 1976-77. And his 136 points in those starts is the highest total for a player in his first five starts since John Drew scored 139 points for the Hawks in the 1974-75 season.
THIS is news. It helps that he's Asian, but I don't think he got the attention JUST because he's Asian. He could have been black and under the same circumstance, garnered the same media attention. The Asian angle certainly helps but if he were Asian and a piss poor player, no would have paid him any mind.