Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool My hair seems to be very dry all of the time--what's the best leave-in conditioner?

I'm aware that everyone's hair is different, but I am debating on buying different leave-ins to try out. Right now I have a protein one (Cantu) and Kinky Curly (Moisture). I am discovering that my hair can't have too much protein. It's fine and thin, so with protein it gets hard more easily. When I do protein treatments I do lights ones one a month or less. When I use Cantu more often I noticed my hair gets stiff. So I used Kinky curly more often. It's good as far as I can tell but I feel my hair is always dry... and it's too expensive to keep purchasing kinky curly (like 13 bucks with tax for that small stuff at my Target). Is there a product that can make your hair feel very moisturized and soft for longer periods of time? I feel my hair is stick dry after about maybe 30-60 minutes of applying the leave in. I thought an organic product would be good, but maybe not? I use coconut oil to seal but I hear it has a lot of protein so maybe that also contributes to my problem. Should I try switching to another more moisturizing leave-in and oil? Sorry for the long question! Your thoughts are very much appreciated, thanks!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay I looked up some more things... since I live in Minnesota (we have cold winters) it seems that using coconut oil at this time is a bad idea. For women living in cold states it's been suggested to use olive oil instead whereas women in hotter states say when they use coconut oil there hair feels nice and soft. I believe I remember coconut oil feeling more soft on hotter days. Guess that was part of my problem! One mystery out of the way!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What other products are you using? Protein overload maybe.

Do you clairfy your hair?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaimuziq View Post
    What other products are you using? Protein overload maybe.

Do you clairify your hair?
    ^You beat me to it.

Re: coconut oil in cold climates. I use it and have not experienced any problems...and I'm in Ohio. I use the oil over leave in conditioners.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I really don't use any other protein products. For protein treatments every month I use the light protein olive oil replenishing conditioner. I use coconut oil and the Cantu leave in. As for as I know, those are the only protein products I use.

From some other ladies on other boards they say they had similar problems with coconut oil in winter climates. What they described is what would happen to my hair.. get's hard and dry. I guess you are one of the lucky ones! I am just going to use olive oil until it gets much warmer so I will switch back and forth. I will experiment. If my hair is still dry and didn't change then I have to look at another thing I didn't notice.

I keep my hair in braids monthly while in college, do hot oil treatments and wash and detangle when I take my braids out and then start over. It's simple so I don't know why my hair feels dry. By the way, I keep my bangs out because I am trying to regrow my edges from years of damage. Everything seems to be growing well, I just have an issue with dryness. I like my hair to feel soft, moist, and healthy. I think I may be protein-sensitive. I get enough protein in my diet with all the veggies and egg I eat anyway so I don't think even moderate protein products are so useful for my hair. Light seems to work just fine.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region. Winters here can be brutal, so I understand your concern about exposure to cold air.

Recently I have found that Glycerin, USP works well as a moisturizer. Glycerin is high on the ingredient list of many of the most effective detangling and curl-activating products made for the African-American market. However, I found that plain glycerin, distributed by hand throughout my wet hair, holds moisture in, without the alcohols, parabens, and polyquaterniums included in the commercial products. I know they are there to help protect against spoilage and microbial growth (preservatives) but to be honest, when I take a whiff of some of these products, I pick up an alcohol odor - that can't be good for ANY hair type!

Natural oils such as castor, almond, olive work well for me when used as a followup to the glycerin treatment. It's fun to decide on the 'oil of the day' after I get out of the shower (smile!)

For both glycerine and natural oil, I find that a little bit goes a long way. I pour out about two tablespoons of each into a jar, spread it onto my hands, then distribute. I then have an easier time combing my hair, and find the moisture stays in throughout the day. Because your winters are longer and colder than mine, and/or you may have more hair than I do, you may find you need more than just two tablespoons of each in order to get the same effect. I would suggest wearing a satin cap under your outerwear hat for added protection against the elements.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok wait....so olive oil has a lot of protein and makes your hair stiff? or am I reading this wrong. Because I have noticed that kinky curly and mis jessies curl pudding acts as like a gel for my hair and it gets dry and stiff like when white girls scrunch their hair (that was the only way I could describe it). I have the same problem. My hair is the best when it's just soaking wet and I don't know what to do about it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you talking about a product you apply after washing your hair, or something you use regularly?
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, I definitely agree with the notion that coconut oil is less effective in cold climates, it's so reactive to temperature that it WILL freeze up on your hair and leave it stiff!

My leave in of choice, I always end up going back to it after experimenting, is Giovanni Direct Leave In. It has a trace amount of protein which my protein sensitive hair doesn't seem to mind. A little goes a LONG way, I buy a new bottle maybe every 4 months as opposed to buying Knot Today every single month.. Also it keeps my hair moisturized (in addition to sealing with castor oil) until my next wash. I use it also when I'm restyling an old twist out and it helps keep the hair pliable. Might be worth a try!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meraki, sorry, sorry! I forgot to mention that this is of use on a daily-basis, not after washing. I may pre-poo with coconut oil still but I will be switching to olive oil for sealing in the winter. Really, here in Minnesota, we had a warmer winter this year! It may be due to global warming because it's been bouncing back from low teens t upper thirties and even forties. I heard we are going to the fifties this week. No one is complaining of course but since my hair seems to be sensitive and fine I am going to use olive oil when the temp is below 60 degrees just in case. I will use coconut if it's over that which means summer and other random warm days if I want to. I use protein products when I do wash my hair before getting more braids, it helps strengthen and protects from constant braiding, which helps a lot. I get maybe a day or two of a hair break before re-braiding. Hair has been growing pretty well so I am not doing anything wrong it seems. I plan to give it 4 days of break when I take these current braids out so it can breathe

Taylormarieb18, um I was talking about coconut oil lol from what I researched it helps protect the protein in your hair which it in turn can make your hair feel stiff. So, for some, they can't use coconut oil sometimes depending on their hair or the climate. I don't know all the science behind it so maybe you can look up for more details concerning it lol I am still new to all of this, I going to see how olive oil works for sealing. I couldn't use only water for moisture though because my hair gets too dry. Love my hair but boy I do hate it some times and get very frustrated, especially when I need to go certain places of importance!

Thanks for the advice Bithiya I heard of glycerin, I may check that out!

Dessertfirst, I heard of Giovanni leave in also, I was trying to look for the leave in at both target and walmart and I didn't see any. I can maybe try to look again. What do you mean by it has a trace amount of protein? It has very little?