Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never been a dog owner but a cat will be easier to deal with, no need to take it for a walk and you can leave it at home and go to work.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cats we had growing up pooped in my Mom's plants and peed in the shoes in our closet, so we immediately got rid of them...of course nobody was really home to train them so, guess that's why they ran amok ....

Yeah, I know about the loyalty/can't function without owner thang....my sister in law visited us for a weekend with her dog and when she went to the store that dog stood at the front door and cried like a baby for an hour, when I couldn't take it no mo I had to pick her up, sit her in my lap and literally hold and stroke her like a baby to calm her down...it was so sad...when her "mommy" came back omigod you woulda thought she was gone for years...so yeah....just like a kid...

thanks for all the replies ya'll...lots to think about....like I said can't even consider it for another year but I always like to plan well in advance...
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Napia Mia View Post
    I'm with you on the dogs that don't shed. I love dogs but I can't stand pet hair all over me. Shoot, I don't even like to be near people who have pet hair all over them. LOL. My sister has a rat terrior and if you just look at her I swear, even when she's standing still, her fur is flying all over the place. Ugghhh...

That's said, she's absolutely adorable. But do your research. That damn dog is practically dispondent when she's not around. I'm sure she wouldn't trade her for the world NOW, but given her personality (her separation anxiety has nearly gotten her killed a couple of times) I have to wonder if she'd actually have chosen this particular dog for a pet. I'm not sure if the trait is inherent with that breed, or just that particular dog.

She also has a min pin. This breed totally has a mind of it's own. They ACT really stupid but are actually very smart animals. They're very obstinent and want to do things on their own terms. The goof ball is definitely house broken but will poop in the house when it's raining or she doesn't want to go out in the snow. The rat terrior will look at you like, "Now you KNOW I didn't do THAT... puleeze. Go talk to the crazy one." LOL.

Again, my sister loves that dog to death, but has definitely said she wishes she hadn't gotten a min pin. Every min pin owner I've ever talked to concurs on the personality traits of the bread. They act stupid even though they know better. I always tell my sister that dog is autistic cause she acts like she's in her own little world most of the time.

So again make sure you do your research. Big time.

I've had my Min-Pin for almost five years and homie needs to go. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THIS BREED.. Their like a stubborn dog on crack!
    Locsonaps

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gave it a long hard look and I'll neva be home long enough to dedicate the time so oh well....it was a nice thought though.... I guess if I were a homebody it would make more sense but with my youngest graduating next year I'm feeling like the WORLD is my oyster....
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Older dogs make good pets. My bfs roomie adopted a dog about 7 years old. All she does is look cute and sleep lol We tell her to come outside and she'll do her business, then we go back in and she'll go to sleep. The only thing is she's tiny so she likes to cuddle with us for heat. She doesn't bark, and she's kept close shaven so she doesn't shed. Older dogs are just grateful to have food and someone to love on them every once in a while.

I'm not a psychopath, Anderson. I'm a high functioning sociopath. Do your research.- Sherlock

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about dog ownership in the next six or so months....

How can I adjust to picking up dog poop? That's my biggest "ugh" about it.

If this happens, I plan to put him in doggie training camp IMMEDIATELY!

NRB229 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soapinphilly View Post
    The lab puppy I had would poop on the news paper, walk thru it, then kick his food accross the floor to the poop, water was sloshed all over the place, it was a mess.
    Sounds more like a training issue to me. I have an almost 100lb lab/shepherd mix who has been with us since he was a puppy. He is the most gentle dog you would ever see and NEVER poops/pees in the house (and we're not professional trainers either). If he goes in the house then you know he couldn't hold in anymore (and that says more about you than the dog).

As much as I love my dog though I'd have to say "no" on doing it again.

1. He's big and no matter how much you clean his hair is everywhere and when it's hot he STINKS A LOT but because of his thyroid/skin issue we can't wash him too often.

2. He's clingy, he wants to be up under you every second of every day

3. He's expensive. He has a thyroid issue so we have to pay for meds on a monthly basis as well as doggy insurance. His food is over $50 a bag.

4. Going out of town in inconvenient/expensive. You either have to board them or find someone to watch them and even then they may act out from anxiety.

on the flip side

1. He is not aggressive, at ALL. I'm inclined to think he might run away from a cat although he is protective of our daughter (not that I think that would actually translate to keeping her from harm). My daughter pushes him, pulls his tail, and even reaches in his food while he's eating. He will just move over so she has easier access.

2. He's very sweet, doesn't bark (except when someone knocks on the door) doesn't whine (unless he needs to go out).

3. He's extremely playful which is nice and a comfort when you're down.

4. He is loyal, easily trained and very smart.

5. He does not chew anything that belongs to us.
    Last edited by NRB229; 05-18-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newlife2169 View Post
    Thinking about dog ownership in the next six or so months....

How can I adjust to picking up dog poop? That's my biggest "ugh" about it.

If this happens,
    I plan to put him in doggie training camp IMMEDIATELY!
    What do you mean "if this happens..."?

(Are you talking about unexpected poops? I know owners tend to train their dogs to go when they get taken for a walk.)

I'm not a dog owner but I dog-sat briefly. A relative of mine is like this when I mention the poop 'n scoop, but I think that was the easiest part. To me it's just something that dogs do that has to be dealt with. No different from a baby with a soiled diaper.
    Last edited by Claire76; 05-20-2012 at 02:59 PM.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading this thread has convinced me that IF I ever get a dog it'll be a sign that I've finally planted roots somewhere.

(I prefer big dogs, but I forgot that big dogs = big poop.)
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire76 View Post
    What do you mean "if this happens..."?

(Are you talking about unexpected poops? I know owners tend to train their dogs to go when they get taken for a walk.)

I'm not a dog owner but I dog-sat briefly. A relative of mine is like this when I mention the poop 'n scoop, but I think that was the easiest part. To me it's just something that dogs do that has to be dealt with. No different from a baby with a soiled diaper.
    That particular "if" was in reference to "if I get a dog", not "if" they poop!

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    Reading this thread has convinced me that IF I ever get a dog it'll be a sign that I've finally planted roots somewhere.

(I prefer big dogs, but I forgot that big dogs = big poop.)
    Exactly; I'm relocating this summer and I think (hope) that this is a place/area where I can FINALLY plant some roots.

I used a couple of the links provided upthread to take the quizzes to see 1) what kind of pet I should get and 2) what kind of dog breed would work for me.

The one quiz said I should get a ferret. A FERRET?!?!?!? No!

The dog breed quiz noted that I should get a Cardigan Welsh Corgi. I did it a couple of times and the same breed popped up. It's kind of cute and it does seem to fit me lifestyle wise. I always thought I wanted a West Highland White Terrier.

Trust, I'm still in a "we'll see" mode....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast