Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Am I crazy to want a dog?

Okay, I'll have to start off by saying we never had pets growing up, well a couple cats, gold fish and parakeets.... which are low maintenance IMO.

My kids always wanted a dog and because I would be doing all the work I quickly said NO, but now that they're older and off to college and I'll virtually be alone several months out of the year I've been thinking about a "friend"....however there are quirks about me I need to express and maybe owning a dog is not right for me but let me put it out there.....which breed is:

• Overall friendly to families and people in general
    • Little to no shedding
    • Easily house broken
    • Least prone to illnesses
    • Not a hole digger
    Choosing a male or female, what are the reasons/differences that I would choose one over the other, I guess it would depend on the breed?

As far as my nuances:

• Carpet, paint, floors, furniture are NEW...so maybe that discounts me altogether from pet ownership??
    • Can't stand the "wet dog" smell...but I've never had that issue with my cousin's dog, it's a Pomeranian and a few other dogs I've been exposed to, I guess it's indicative of the owner....I dunno....
    • I'm barely home...that should be remedied next year when I finish school....
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I've had dogs when I was living at home with my parents and siblings, and I adored them to pieces, but as I have gotten older I am no longer a "dog" person, so I can't give any sound advise.
    I would not want a dog, because dogs are alot like toddlers and too clingy and dependent.

I cannot see myself getting up out of my bed in the middle of the night to take no dog outside to the bathroom. I'm not walking no dog in the rain or freezing cold, or standing in the rain or cold waiting for it to "do" it's "business."

And I AM NOT picking up no dog poop after it does it's business.

I cannot see myself spending money on a dog's medicine/prescription and medical care in general that cost more than mine.

Dogs require alot of "quality" time like children, and my mothering days are over.

My brother's dog stopped eating and actually died when he went on vacation for two weeks and left it with my mother. It whined and cried for my brother the whole time. Now what was she going to do with a dead dog? My mother was devastated.
    My brother was devastated when he returned.

I'm in the process of getting a fish tank.
    The little sparrows, cardinals, blue birds and hummingbirds outside that come to my feeders are "pets" enough for me right now.

I might get a cat waaay later on...maybe.

I think it's very important to get a dog that fits your personality, and lifestyle, along with the right size of a dog that you can handle.

I wish you the best with your endeavor, and hope it works out for you. Don't forget to post pics if you do get one.
    Last edited by Veviticus; 03-05-2012 at 09:23 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get a cat or hamster...I am not a dog person but tried it twice for the kids. We lasted one day with a lab puppy and a few months with a shepard...both times I had to take these animals on a "little ride" (gave them away to a dog lover). I found dogs, big, dirty, needy, sickly and stupid (even kittens don't play in their poop but dogs do.

Cats and women a perfect match, I cuss my cat out all the time, he waits in the dark and atatcks the back of my leg...and yet everynight he's right at the foot of my bed.
    Once I let my boyfr in when I wasn't home. When I got home my cat met me at the door, shoving me back and meowing loudly letting me know someone strange was upstairs.

Male hamsters..love to feed them, I had one named CUPCAKE, he would ride in my pocket to the supermarket, we'd go on walks, I used to let him run in the park. He was so special to me. (so I don't sound too crazy, I inherited him when my youngest went away to school), just the life span is so short.
    Instigating and waiting for the REVOLUTION to begin!

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI: these are just my opinions.

Overall friendly to families and people in general
    I think any breed can be this. I blame training and maybe unpleasant experiences on mean, unfriendly, timid, or aggressive dogs. I've met a lot of sweet Pitbulls and a lot of mean azz little cutesy dogs. Treat them right and they will just act like big 4 legged furry babies.

Little to no shedding
    No such thing as a dog that doesn't shed but there are some that don't shed much.
    http://www.dog-obedience-training-re...dont-shed.html
    Just keep in mind that a dog with long, curly or just a lot of hair may come with a little extra maintenance.

Easily house broken
    IDK about this. House training a dog is work, plain and simple. It takes repetition, consistency, patience, and lots of treats. Some breeds are a little more stubborn than others, LOL. You can adopt an older that's already trained and it may just be more of him getting used to you and your place.

You're probably not going to get away with keeping all that stuff "new" when you're training a puppy. They'll have accidents, they'll test you and they'll get mad at you and just pee, LOL. And they're going to mark their territory.

Least prone to illnesses
    Some breeds are just more prone to some things than others because of how they are made. Some stuff is just hard to avoid because they get themselves into stuff all of the time! Ticks, allergies, fleas, dermatitis, etc...you just never know. I will say that you should do a little research into whoever you get the dog from to be sure that they know what they're doing and aren't just breeding any and everything to get money with no concern with producing healthy dogs.

Not a hole digger
    Maybe this is a personality or breed thing. Not every dog does stuff like this. He may not dig holes but will have some other little annoying thing that he does. My friend's Boxer isn't a digger but he has a thing for napkins and paper towels and has AWFUL gas.

Choosing a male or female
    IDK about this one...maybe it's an owner preference. To me a dog is a dog.

These are some really good sites for info.
    http://animal.discovery.com/guides/d.../choosing.html
    http://www.petfinder.com/index.html
    http://animal.discovery.com/tv/petfinder/petfinder.html
    http://animal.discovery.com/tv/dogs-101/ <--really good show

I think you'll fall in love with whatever you get.
    Last edited by bhop13; 03-05-2012 at 09:30 PM.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soapinphilly View Post
    get a cat or hamster...I am not a dog person but tried it twice for the kids. We lasted one day with a lab puppy and a few months with a shepard...both times I had to take these animals on a "little ride" (gave them away to a dog lover). I found dogs, big, dirty, needy, sickly and stupid (even kittens don't play in their poop but dogs do.
    Maybe your dog was sick. The dog I helped to raise doesn't even go near his poop so playing in it isn't happening. Dogs don't usually like to be near their pee and poop anyway.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say research the different types of dog breeds. I know that different breeds do have different dispositions and habits. Of course, no matter what breed you get, you'll have to make sure it's trained. As for smell, if you make sure your dog is clean and groomed, I think there won't be a big problem. I understand wanting a companion. I had a cat for 19 years and I've been without her since she died in 2009. I miss having a companion that is just as much there for me as I am for her.

I'm now on a waitlist for a service dog, so if that goes through, then I'll get both: a new companion and one specifically trained to save my life. I won't have a choice in breeds though. What comes up is what comes up.

Dogs are high maintenance but that can be fun. I'm really looking forward to getting a call or email that it's my turn to get a dog.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with you on the dogs that don't shed. I love dogs but I can't stand pet hair all over me. Shoot, I don't even like to be near people who have pet hair all over them. LOL. My sister has a rat terrior and if you just look at her I swear, even when she's standing still, her fur is flying all over the place. Ugghhh...

That's said, she's absolutely adorable. But do your research. That damn dog is practically dispondent when she's not around. I'm sure she wouldn't trade her for the world NOW, but given her personality (her separation anxiety has nearly gotten her killed a couple of times) I have to wonder if she'd actually have chosen this particular dog for a pet. I'm not sure if the trait is inherent with that breed, or just that particular dog.

She also has a min pin. This breed totally has a mind of it's own. They ACT really stupid but are actually very smart animals. They're very obstinent and want to do things on their own terms. The goof ball is definitely house broken but will poop in the house when it's raining or she doesn't want to go out in the snow. The rat terrior will look at you like, "Now you KNOW I didn't do THAT... puleeze. Go talk to the crazy one." LOL.

Again, my sister loves that dog to death, but has definitely said she wishes she hadn't gotten a min pin. Every min pin owner I've ever talked to concurs on the personality traits of the bread. They act stupid even though they know better. I always tell my sister that dog is autistic cause she acts like she's in her own little world most of the time.

So again make sure you do your research. Big time.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhop13 View Post
    Maybe your dog was sick. The dog I helped to raise doesn't even go near his poop so playing in it isn't happening. Dogs don't usually like to be near their pee and poop anyway.
    The lab puppy I had would poop on the news paper, walk thru it, then kick his food accross the floor to the poop, water was sloshed all over the place, it was a mess.
    Instigating and waiting for the REVOLUTION to begin!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and look into buying a carpet cleaner and vacuum cleaner that are good for pets, if you don't already have them. You can rent the cleaner from a few places. I think having those tools and using them regularly will help loads with the dog smell and fur. most people I know that have places that smell like dog don't clean much, if at all. And you get used to the smell when it's you and yours, lol.
    GOT PANK??

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out http://dogbreedinfo.com/ It will help you find the right dog to suit your lifestyle.

Can you give more background about your lifestyle/ why you want a dog? I would also look into obedience school.

I got my first dog because exhub was on the road and he said I was lonely. Now I have 4 dogs and I treat them better than most people treat their children. I love my babies with all my heart....

Now my suggestion... One of my babies is a Fila (Brazilian) Mastiff. She's 3 years old and weighs 120 pounds. I got her when she was a puppy and had her in boarding/ training school immediately. She is a best friend and the ultimate protector. After the training I am able to take her out off leash with no problems.

So... Do you want a small, medium, or large dog? Will the dog live in a house or apartment? How much time are you honestly willing to devote to a pet?
    Last hit of creamy crack: 11/24/09
    BC: 10/26/2010
    Staples: Shealoe, EVOO, CO, Jojoba oil, HE HH, Avg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast