Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Stylist View Post
    This may just work for me.
    Hey Natural Stylist!
    I think a thread you did last year elsewhere about doing less was my first inspiration and this is how it spiraled for me !

Best wishes on your journey and if I'm right about that thead, a special big Thank You for the inspiration.

Blessings
    Love is The Key

Beginning my hair journal Siriusly :)
    http://public.fotki.com/Siriushare

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a little research, I've decided to give WO a try at least until my birthday (the 24th). I'll either end up stocking up on hair products, or on a big thing of ACV and EVCO (I can't see being hardcore WO)

Yesterday I did a ACV rinse to prep my hair, and I added a little oil my ends. My hair was still soft at the end of the day, but I either made the mistake of wearing a wash n'go ponytail or of simply pineappling my hair for bed. Either way, I got extra breakage when I set my hair in twists today. I spritzed my hair lightly, and massaged the very light coating of oil at my roots down to the ends. My hair felt soft and supple almost like I had added a bit of moisturizer. Depending on how my hair feels tomorrow, I'll either water wash it Saturday or Monday.

I've done water rinsing on and off, and I'll give up commercial products every once in awhile . I usually don't stick with it because I'll fall back on old habits or I'll be downright neglectful . This thread will help me to be mindful of how I treat my hair during this test drive.
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I experienced a VERY BAD dermatitis flare-up about a week ago. It was so bad I had to leave work. I had been using non-sulfate shampoo, coconut oil, then olive oil, thinking that I was doing something right. Well, my scalp let me HAVE IT! So, the last time that I used shampoo was last Thursday. It was a medicated shampoo. I tried an ACV rinse and LOVED what it did for my hair, BUT the smell lingered, unlike what others have stated. PLUS, I didn't see any REAL improvement with my scalp. At that time, I wasn't using ANY leave in, but then I decided to use rosewater and glycerin. Meanwhile, I was only water rinsing and using th pads of my fingers. I really think that surfactants IRRITATE my scalp moreso than HELP it. Also, I have been doing water only washing on my face for SEVERAL months and my skin has cleared up like NEVER before. I only use a white washcloth and hot water. It has helped. I remeber reading a thread on here years ago in the napptural beauty section and there were several people doing this. If I had caught on earleir, I could have possibly saved myself some scarring. Now, water washing TO ME for the scalp is the same if I am not adding products to my hair. I only use a light spritzing of the rosewater and glycerin. One thing I DID do today (which I'm not sure has a cleansing effect) is mix crushed aspirin and honey with rosewater and glycerin. So, aside from doing that, I don't plan on shampooing again unless I experience something wierd. For as long as I can remeber, I have tried numerous soaps, whether all natural, sulfate-free, etc, and my scalp has gone CRAZY. Now that I have done the honey aspirin rosewater glycerin thing, my scalp is finally beginning to feel normal.

* I think that shampoo (as we know it today) primarily gained its popularity deu to the industrial revolution, as people were working in factories and getting greasy, so they NEEDED soap to get their hair clean.

At the end of the day, we have to do what's best for OUR bodies.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I don't cleanse my face with anything but water except when I remember to do a baking soda scrub every 4 to whenever weeks. I wash with some kind of cleansing product because everyone else does and sometimes I like doing something different. When I use a product to wash my face, the natural balance of my skin gets thrown off and I'll usually start getting pimples until it normalizes . I agree that the same probably does apply with scalp/hair care.
    Also OT: @gilroygal, I'm sad to hear that your scalp turned on you again, but I'm happy that it's getting better.
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Pamplemousse View Post
    I LOOOOOOOVE strawberries and cream! Also Passion Fruit Smoothie, Champagne Kiss and Kiwi Lime for clarifying

I've never tried any of the moisture milk shampoos. Hmmm, 77 cent shopping spree?
    I know what I'll be looking for at CVS next time!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Afroisland-thanks for your sympathy. I think I need to let some things go and I'm okay with that. I just want to feel good.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just started the water only washing about a couple of days ago. I have been putting oil on my hair. But that is all. I rinse every other day. We will see how long this lasts. It does free your mind not thinking about products all of the time.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Siriushair View Post
    Hey Natural Stylist!
    I think a thread you did last year elsewhere about doing less was my first inspiration and this is how it spiraled for me !

Best wishes on your journey and if I'm right about that thead, a special big Thank You for the inspiration.

Blessings

Well, I am so happy to be an inspiration. I am finally going to go ahead and do this thang here. This may just be the anwer I was looking for.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@AfroIsland
    Mostly waterwashing the face has been beneficial for me also. I hope your ends fare better. This is one of my main problems. Only keeping them mostly tucked away ever worked for me.

@gilroygal
    I was sorry to hear of your recent flare up. Maybe you will find relief with this routine you've started. If anything you will have a base to start from in finding out what products you can or can't use, but hopefully this will be very helpful with healing.

@Natural Stylist
    I did not use oil at first and after a few weeks of water only, the natural oil production really kicked in. I am doing less but having a harder time keeping my hands out of my hair because of the softness .

Thank you all for your inputs and hopefully keep us posted on your progress. Best wishes

Wo washed this am and put in 8 knots. I have an event tomorrow and will do a knot out then.
    I also found I don't have to hydrate every day as I forgot to yesterday and it was still very fleecy this morning before I washed it. Seems like every 3-5 days are my magic numbers so far.

Happy Weekend Everyone!

* I forgot to add my type category is mostly 4b/c
    Last edited by Siriushair; 03-10-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    Love is The Key

Beginning my hair journal Siriusly :)
    http://public.fotki.com/Siriushare

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I water-wash my face too! Love it. Sometimes I do wash my face with honey. Leaves it clean, smooth, and with a glow!
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast