Indeed.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Sirius has noted that her hair does not smell, though I could see how someone with a very oily scalp might have issues. With my dermatitis, I use shampoo and I'm currently revisiting a shampoo bar. I also know that my daughter would not do well with this type of routine, but I'm sure it's working for those who say that it's working for them, it's working for them.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Water-only washing/Odor control/What's wrong with shampooing?

There are valid reasons this type of thread keeps coming up.
    Eventually SOMETHING is needed to remove buildup of dead skin, shed hair, sweat, old sebum, mildew, and environmental contaminants [these include 'naturals' like soil, pollen AND human-mades like carbon pollution and grooming products].

Sebum is fat-based. Sweat is water-based. Rainwater can stay on the hair near the scalp. Even these 'naturals' can combine to become rancid and/or a medium for microbial growth [read: foul odors] - so removal is necessary to avoid a
    social barrier/health hazard.

I get what people are saying about shampoos drying their hair. The ingredient list on some of these commercial shampoos is a real shocker - judging by the chemical names, they ARE drying and not helpful to hair of ANY type.
    They say no part of the animal goes to waste in slaughterhouses. Some cosmetic ingredients come from the meat processing industry - so the stench of death & decomposition needs to be blocked. In my opinion, this is why most commercial products contain preservatives. Manufacturers need to make sure customers get a fresh product and not go to the press en masse to hassle factories/shippers/vendors for refunds. The companies have no control over how long their stuff sits on store shelves and to what storage conditions trucks, store warehouses, and customers will subject their product; yet they are ultimately held responsible if rotten product reaches our bathrooms. The companies have to protect themselves against liability for damage from their odor-blockers and preservatives; here enters the ANIMAL TESTING LABORATORY (frown!).
    Furthermore, some of the ingredients can morph into formaldehyde (aka embalming fluid) if heated; in my humble opinion, this INCLUDES body heat and solar heat and is NOT restricted to heat from grooming appliances.

I've decided to use only natural, no-animal-ingredients, paraben-free, no-animal-cruelty hair cleansing products. Natural and health food stores carry them. I'm considering checking out some of the shea butter soaps from the smaller manufacturers. I'm aware that there are people of all backgrounds who mix their own soaps; given the above issues, I can see why.
    Last edited by Bithiya; 04-01-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Pgh 3, Lns 1-2: improved spacing. Pgh 5, Ln 1: omitted words.

kell is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is so informative, I have learned alot, thanks NP

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I accept that there maybe people with the type of hair/scalp/enviroment combination that can deal with water only or maybe water and antibaterial assistance from something like ACV, and be fine. My "If it smells it needs washing not cover", comment was in response to a post advising how to cover the smell.

I once spend some time living in the country, when I washed my hair the water always came up clean, there was no visual evidence of dirt. I now live in the city, and when I shampoo the water is dirty, no two ways about it. I also have a relatively oily scalp. For me this would seem to rule out the WO method.

Man didn't evolve with shampoo provided, so I'm sure that there are situations were WO works just fine, but if one needs a way of covering the smell, it isn't working.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Siriushair View Post
    I'm thinking that madison ave used to say you need to shampoo every day, ask most people. Many of us never did it and felt like we would be judged for having dirty hair.
    The industry knew the scalp got addicted to it and would start to itch if you miss a day. So you would interpret the healing symptom as a sign of dirtiness.

Now even the 'experts' are saying shampoo is hard on curly/coily hair and should be used sparingly. You have to counterbalance with a lot of products to keep it moist and supple.
    I've stopped trusting what 'they' say cause it's just business.

I don't even say I'll do this forever but just wanted to share my findings.

I feel just a tad more appreciative of what the creator had in mind when designing my head.

Again, every head is different and may not work for everyone..

Thanks all posters and those who have tried this on any level, all info is very much appreciated.
    Blessings

Er, shampoo with sulfates in could be harsh on curly hair, but actually, I use Jason's Biotin and it's sulfate free. It's great on my hair, and without any product at all my hair is shiny and silky. Honestly, I'm really sort of grossed out by not using *anything* to wash my hair with. I eat healthy, and I live cleanly and yet I believe my scalp, like my body, needs to be cleansed at least once a week to free it from it's own uck. I've never had a problem, my hair grows, it's healthy, and I'm happy with it. If you want to go this route, that's totally your choice, but I personally wouldn't feel clean. Not everything is about the industry and what they want- I feel like sometimes we lose sight of what we like/need/want because we don't like the way things were designed or what they were *supposed* to be used for. IMHO, being human means being boundlessly creative, so if you don't want to wash your hair with anything, fine. If you do, also fine- it doesn't matter what it was designed for, it just matters that you're getting the results you want/need.
    Almost 3 years natural!? Already :D
    My natural hair Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Tellitv8/about/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TellyTV8

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debe_999 View Post
    My "If it smells it needs washing not cover", comment was in response to a post advising how to cover the smell.
    ^& my gif response was also directed towards that particular comment. I would contend that we be wary of products that smell wonderful but do nothing for the health of one's scalp/skin.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Water only washing...?

So it's been a minute... My journey went on using various diy washes with natural elements like clays, aloe, acv, etc. When I felt the need to use a commercially made shampoo, I chose homeopathic, African black soap and soap bars made by 22nd Century (Moorket). I think I've settled on a routine that seems to be working for me over the past few years.

The winters here are harsh so I feel the need for protection with oils. I like bantana, babassou (sp), evoo and jbco. Oils can build up (or so it seems) so I wash with some type of shampoo.

Summers are different and I revert back to water only mostly. I occasionally use aloe vera. I no longer worry much about the styling, going for twists, braids, buns and shrunken afros most of the time. I still do the occasional roller set but air drying takes too long. I prefer achieving a similar look with a knot - out. Those I can sleep on if I need to go overnight, lol.
    Locs are still not off the table but understanding they won't have the volume and look of the ones I had for awhile in the 1980's.

Pro's (for me):
    I totally enjoy the ease of after wash wide tooth comb throughs (in sections) without all the detangling process.
    After combed through shrunken fros fall fairly free in the next wash with very little tangling
    Cons:
    Kind of boring

I guess someone said it best, you learn by doing. I hope everyone is well and finding ways to live their best life in spite of these uncertain times.
    Blessings
    Love is The Key

Beginning my hair journal Siriusly :)
    http://public.fotki.com/Siriushare

9. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks @Siriushair for your update. I've water washed on and off over the years as well, but didn't stick with it out of habit. I'm a clay washer, though, so for the most part I want going back to shampoo.

This past year, I've been washing with yucca root (no conditioner), moisturizing, and sealing with tallow instead of oils. More recently, I've started water washing/rinsing between washes and my hair appreciates it. When I started this last round of increased rinses it was an experiment to finger detangle in the shower. No products. After the initial session it has become easier and I've noticed that I lose WAY less hair this way, broken or otherwise.

The past two weeks I've tried fresh AVG for the first time and liked it. I'm also going to reintroduce ayurvedic masks back into my routine. So I won't truly be water only, but I'll still reap some of the benefits.

I bought a goat's hair brush to try out, with the purposeof sebumdistribution. I'm an exclusive finger detangler and my 4c hair can't handle brushes. I also almost wear my hair in twists. Not sure where and how to start.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@torontogurrl This winter, my plan is to do similar to your routine. I've never used tallow or yucca. Sounds like something to look into. Thanks for the tip. If you are using a fresh aloe leaf, you can cut off just what you need then pinch the end shut of what's left and seal it with a piece of paper towel and a chip bag clip. Store in a cool place, not the fridge. The cut end reseals itself (I always start at the wide end). It will last way longer than cutting it all up and refrigerating.

I still use the preening method and occasionally a denman brush. Lately, I've been wearing 2 to 8 plaits braided together and/or banded with scrunchies.
    I finger detangle more or less as I wash. A wide tooth comb easily combs through after - I think because the natural oil coats the strands like a superior conditioner would but IMO, better.

I found that successful WOW can happen for me only when no oil, cream or butter products are used. My hair stayed soft and moisturized all summer just water washing twice a week. I make a seaweed hair mask with just the seaweed, bladderwrack and water or AVG. So far it doesn't seem to build up but I don't do it very often and consider it my deep conditioning treatment...

Good luck with the hair brush. I occasionally use a soft brush but still get nervous about it.
    Love is The Key

Beginning my hair journal Siriusly :)
    http://public.fotki.com/Siriushare

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast