Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some shampoos are not that good for your hair. Some can do more harm than good. I am no poo even if I don't keep up with water only. I am doing this to give my hair and scalp a brake from all the things I do to it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that there is nothing WRONG with shampoo washing or whatever kind of washing you prefer. However, some of us have had major issues with lathering agents, so we are looking for alternatives. I still haven't figured it out, but I'm not ready to give up. My hair is soft without leave-ins as long as I don't use baking soda or any other type of "natural" rinse.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, there's nothing outright wrong with using shampoo, it's just that a lot of commercial shampoos out there are really drying for some people's hair. I went a while without using shampoo to scrub my scalp, and then decided to use a commericial shampoo after about a month. My hair instantly felt rough to the touch and was less easy to detangle than when I was co-washing and using ACV. It went back to that rough texture that I thought I would always have, before I started exploring SLS/ALS shampoo alternatives.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^THIS. Shampoo is VERY drying. I experienced some weirdness with non-sls shampoo as well. I personally think lathering agents are AWFUL for me, but I haven't really found a viable alternative. I know some people on here use various herbs to cleanse, but I have never tried that. I'm afraid. Shampoo is the devil that I KNOW. Herbs MIGHT cause an allergic reaction. I have dry, scaly patches on my scalp that I didn't have in the past. I wish I knew what to do. Sigh...
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kell View Post
    I don't get it whats wrong with shampoo washing?
    Nothing at all, people like to experiment and if 'water only' works for them it works.
    To me the concept of water only washing on hair is as strange as water only washing your clothes, washing your skin and brushing your teeth. But then I live in a large, polluted city.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kell View Post
    I don't get it whats wrong with shampoo washing?
    If you don't have an issue with it, then there's nothing wrong with it. I started rinsing only three years ago, someone else, picked up on that and started a thread. So there are several very lengthy threads on this topic somewhere in NP's archives.

Exact same questions/issues that are being raised in this thread were discussed back then as well.

The reason I started is because every shampoo I've ever used has left my hair feeling like straw to one degree or another. Nonsulfate shampoos are better for my hair than those with sulfates, however even with conditioners, once my hair dries, it would take days for it to feel better.

So about three, maybe even four years ago or so, I tested a theory on my own hair. Since back then, I only used water soluable moisturizers and no grease/oils or butters, I figured I could rinse the product right out of my hair, skip the conditioner and go straight to my moisturizer.

I was right. I cut the rebound time down to practically hours instead of days. I didn't have problems with dandruff or build up. I started liking this sooo much that I followed a rinse only routine for years. My hair and scalp was fine. No oders. No one would know unless I told them. I told my sister and she looked at me like my hair had to be crusty and skanky. Whatever.

I only stopped my rinse only routine after I colored my hair. The color required and still requires a heavier product to keep it well moisturized. I started adding oil to my moisturizer about two years ago and went back to using a very, very diluted nonsulfate shampoo.

The rebound time has increased, but I've learned to live with it. But if I didn't have color in my hair, I can honestly say that I probably would still be doing a rinse only routine to this day.
    Last edited by Napia Mia; 03-13-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Napia Mia for the great testament to this routine ! Your experience is the key factor that says, yes it works...Fabulous! My initial search did not find your threads before I started this thread as I said in my first post. This is great news for all, as a deeper search should yield a wealth of information on this subject.

@rootruth I considered the mentioned natural products I used as detoxing. However, aloe vera mixed with bentonite clay and water to the consistency of mud on wet/damp/dry hair for 15 -20 min then rinsed out... nice one for me

Thanks to all posters and Blessings !
    Love is The Key

Beginning my hair journal Siriusly :)
    http://public.fotki.com/Siriushare

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl2012 View Post
    ....is gross.
    I think that is an exaggeration and sweeping generalization based on limited encounters/experience w/ a few individuals.

I only water rinse and rosemary tea rinse. Rosemary has antifungal properties. I think my hair is a bit thick and wooly not to you some sort of antiseptic. I mean, if I was a parasite... my warm scalp would be a great place to live.

Honestly, if I lived in the woods and bathed in a stream every day, I don't think I'd be "gross". I'd smell earthy or like my natural self, but you *can* get clean with jsut water. How do you sterilize something? Boil It in Water. My skin doesn't need to be sterile, just rinsed clean. There's a difference. Our bodies need healthy bacteria to survive.
    Modern conventions have your mind twisted if you think hand sanitizer and antibacterial soap are doing you any favors.

Tons of youtube vids on folks with all types of texture hair that only use water. Links to (turn the volume down); two channels that put me onto this community.

All these soaps made in the lab smelling of fruit, herbs etc... are based on natural scents and trying to mimic benefits of natural substances for a reason. Items found in nature are effective. That includes water - we all know about those lotions and creams and shampoos and conditioners that claim to be "hydrating". Water does the trick for free.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast