Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@cheeky I think this might be a *red pill/blue pill situation and if you go with the red, how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? As Crakdpot mentioned earlier, lifestyle can be important too.

IMO, we mostly act on our programming until we find glitches. Then depending on the circumstances, we investigate, mull it over and either take the red or the blue. For me, the good news is, you can always change your mind...

Thank you for sharing your experience. The antibacterial qualities of aloe are another benefit I liked. I dry fresh rosemary for cooking but I did not know about the antifungal properties. Having used rosemary essential oil in my hair concoctions, I love the idea of now using a tea rinse. Rosemary has those strenghtening properties also. Now we have another use. Excellent tip!

BTW, I miss cupidvalentino1 ! He hasn't done a vid in a while.

@Natural Stylist ...me too! So much inspiration and I have learned a lot Thank you.

Blessings all !

*The Matrix
    Love is The Key

Beginning my hair journal Siriusly :)
    http://public.fotki.com/Siriushare

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the poster that said that we should not generalize. I have been using only hot water and a face towel on my acne prone face for months and it has inproved 100%. My mom does this as well and she was the one who finally convinced me to do it. Her skin looks AMAZING and she is 56!
    As for the water only thing, I have tried it off and on and I must say that my HAIR fares better with NOTHING on it than when I use stuff, even though it doesn't have the sheen or depth of color that people often prefer .It looks DUSTY, but it is soft as cashmere. Once I lather with ANY type of soap (even natural ones) it loses that softness and has a difficult time recovering, as NM mentioned. Due to the fact that I have dermatitis, I am hesistant to COMPLETELY get rid of a lathering agent, but I DO think I need to use as diluted a shampoo as possible.
    To the poster who asked, I HAVE use Dr. Bronners and I used to make a knock-off version of Carol's Daughter's original (watery) shampoo using the herbs that she mentioned on the label. I think she included, roses, hibiscus, red clover, sage, etc. I would probably eventually just go back to that, using the peppermint or Eucalyptus varieties as my base. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi OP, here are a couple of threads I started a while back. See if any of these help answer some of your questions.....

No Shampoo - No Conditioner!

No Shampoo - No Conditioner (part 2).

HTH.
    "...Those that seek the Lord, lack no good thing....."
    Last CFC = April 2004. BC = chopped/trimmed as 'n' when.
    Current length = about 11 inches (CNAPP)
    I AM PINK, are you?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@gilroygal Did you try brushing with a soft bristle when it got to the dusty stage? If you did, was it helpful at all?

I finally used a baby soft bristle. First, I was pleased to find that the combs were already doing a great job but then I found the brush had a polishing effect. I brushed the night before washing and it seemed way smoother. I will add that to my routine for a trial. I was thinking this is what might take the dusties away. My gray makes it dusty looking anyway.

@blessing03 -Thank you for the great threads! Your experiences go back a ways also. I loved when NM said something like you could probably kick conditioner to the curb and go straight to moisturizer!
    I was in my 40's before I bought my 2nd bottle of conditioner and know that is a fact! . The 1st was a bottle of Pantene when it first came out....the hype...

@Natural Stylist Dr. Oz recommended using only water on your body saving soap for pits and bits. He suggested using warm water instead of hot.

Years ago we use to summer camp on lakes in the mountains. We bathed daily in the lakes without soaps or poos. One lake, in particular, in a very remote area seemed absolutely pristine. My hair and skin became incredibly silky soft and radiant during that experience.
    I don't swim but looked forward to getting into the shallows and submerging. Since then, I still water bathe when I feel like it. Best wishes with your experiment and let us know.

Blessings all
    Last edited by Siriushair; 03-16-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    Love is The Key

Beginning my hair journal Siriusly :)
    http://public.fotki.com/Siriushare

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do water washes only when I know I will be working out a lot then only use shampoo 1 or 2 times a week.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BUMP************************

Locs 2nd Set: April 3rd 2012 - Yup they're back

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I water wash all the time matter of fact I haven't used any product to wash(besides a few days ago I used pantene for women of color conditioner) in a looong while. My hair don't stink not even a little bit. Maybe it depends how much product you put in but I only use coconut oil or olive oil.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilroygal View Post
    * I think that shampoo (as we know it today) primarily gained its popularity deu to the industrial revolution, as people were working in factories and getting greasy, so they NEEDED soap to get their hair clean.
    I don't know about shampoos in particular, but gentle soaps for the body (as opposed to using lye soap) did indeed get more popular in the Victorian era. But they weren't aimed at factory workers. They were aimed at middle-class people whose 'cleanliness' was a sign of their class status.
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If water-only works for people, that's fine. We all have different hair and scalps. But it is definitely not an option for me. It would be rough on my hair, and definitely rough on my scalp. I gave up co-washing because it wasn't getting my scalp clean enough. If my scalp isn't clean, it goes to getting rashes and scales and carrying on. No thanks!
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast