Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Lockolatte!

Unfortunately, I got rid of my Fotki account a while ago. Are you on FB?
    12th year of freedom

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used the Henna. Here is my experience.

1) This is extremely messy. I rinsed it out in the shower and got henna everywhere. If you're using the shower, a detachable shower head is a must. Next time I'll take someones advice and use the kitchen sink.

2) I ordered the "Deep Auburn". It turned out black. I'd probably go for a lighter color in the future.

3) I don't have that many gray hairs and it did not color them completely. It more or less tinted the gray hairs a dark blond. Not sure how this would work if I had more gray hair. I was very disappointed in the gray coverage and I purposefully caked the henna on my edges to ensure plenty of henna in those areas. And I left it on longer than the suggested four hours.

Verdict, would I do it again, probably. I think I may look into having someone professionally shampoo me afterwards, however. It took about 5 shampoos before all the grit got out of my hair. Again, I'm not a pro, so this was just me and my normal washing process. Any tips are welcome.
    Last Relaxer: April 18, 2008
    BC: August 22, 2008

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Naturtint. Compared with the commercial brands, it is not as damaging to my hair.
    la vida es un carnaval.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by straightnochaser View Post
    I use Naturtint. Compared with the commercial brands, it is not as damaging to my hair.
    Is that similar to Sanotint (http://www.lavitanuovainc.com/index.html)? I found Sanotint when searching for natural hair dye, and I think I'm going to order some and give it a try before going the more involved route of henna and indigo.

ETA: I just looked up Naturtint, and I see that it's available in local stores - YAY! I'm gong to pick some up and give it a try! THANKS for posting this!
    Last edited by CCmomof5; 07-03-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right on time....

I used a demi permanent color before I got my Sisterlocks 9 months ago (this week!) to cover up the little wispy grays in the front hairline. I was told that I shouldn't color until after the locing process is done but my hair's a bit on the fine side so locing may take a while but I may go ahead and do it anyway.

I used L'Oreal's Color Gems in Blue/Black. It's very easy (which is what I need!).

http://www.sallybeauty.com/demi-perm...cgid=Hair05-02

I have henna'ed before and I agree with what was said about the messy process. In my estimation, the outcome wasn't worth the all the effort it took. Admittedly, I only did it a couple of times.
    Thank you, Fairy PANKmommy!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fedyfro View Post
    Thanks Lockolatte!

Unfortunately, I got rid of my Fotki account a while ago. Are you on FB?
    Yes! I'll message you.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I agree newlife2169

I said in my other post that I would probably do it again.... but that's highly doubtful.

It was messy and since I'm STILL cleaning up my bathroom after that experience; can't imagine it being in my kitchen, and didn't get full gray coverage, I don't see this happening again any time soon.

Next time, I'll try some of the other alternatives posted on this thread.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^. That's interesting. What happened, may I ask? I've been henna-ing for a couple of years now and it makes no mess whatsoever for me.

I love henna. My natural hair color is a dark auburn-y brown so the henna enhances and enriches the color and shine and my greys that aren't completely colored look like highlights. I can relate to not liking where your grays are...mine are all along my front hairline and temple and almost nowhere else and they are. Ore aging than is my preference.

I definitely recommend henna/indigo for a black dye. I like some of the health food store colors (Nutritint, et al) but I find they fade quickly and hence have to be touched up more often. Demi-perms are always good and long lasting for browns and blacks if you just want to go the traditional dye route.

Stay the h$-$@ away from Bigen...that stuff is a mess.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Henna for Hair

I think it was the sheer nastiness of getting this stuff out of my hair. I am not exaggerating when I say it took almost a week of daily shampooing to get this stuff out of my hair. Maybe I used too much, I'm not claiming to be an expert. That plus I almost I couldn't believe what this stuff did to my shower makes me question henna.

Now that I'm a few weeks out from that experience, I guess if I were to do it again I'd just do my edges only, not my entire head. But since you can't get a small amount, I'd be looking at storing this stuff in my freezer and that's just work.

And yes, the henna only tinted my grey, it didn't cover it. that alone makes the effort required to do this including the time (I slept in the henna on a Friday night) sort of questionable. But I got your point on the Bigen.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried Henna too... what a mess! I definitely won't try that again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast