Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to Sally looking for the product you suggested. The young lady recommended this....

http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demand...+Natural+Brown

I needed to buy a solution to mix this with, also. It worked wonders. It took less than 30 minutes, completely covered the grays and didn't make a mess. I think I found my new staple. At least until I need permanent color.
    Last Relaxer: April 18, 2008
    BC: August 22, 2008

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by straightnochaser View Post
    I use Naturtint. Compared with the commercial brands, it is not as damaging to my hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCmomof5 View Post
    Is that similar to Sanotint (http://www.lavitanuovainc.com/index.html)? I found Sanotint when searching for natural hair dye, and I think I'm going to order some and give it a try before going the more involved route of henna and indigo.

ETA: I just looked up Naturtint, and I see that it's available in local stores - YAY! I'm gong to pick some up and give it a try! THANKS for posting this!
    So I finally tried the Naturtint as suggested by straightnochaser. I left it on for the longer period of time (about 40 minutes) with no burning sensations. I like the results. Full grey coverage, no dried out hair. I'll post updates on how well it holds up.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BUMP!!!

I've decided to go ahead and give the henna and indigo a try. I've never used henna before, so if any of you who use it could recommend a brand, I'd really appreciate it!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recommend http://www.hennaforhair.com/ This is where I get mine.They sell only pure body art quality henna,indigo,cassia,etc This site has all the info you need plus a phone number you can call & get advice. You can leave a message & phone number to get a call back. They also have a forum where you can get advice & tips to make things easier. You might want to go there & read,too. Be very careful to select only PURE henna & PURE indigo because many that claim to be natural actually contain dangerous metallic salts & chemicals like p-Phenylenediamine ( PPD). If you go to s store like Whole Foods & see black henna,brown henna,etc, it's not real henna. Henna only dyes reddish/orange/brown. Check out this page http://www.hennaforhair.com/ppd/index.html . Scroll down & you'll see pictures of "natural" dyes that have PPD. Note that Naturtint & Herbatint are shown. Read the entire page. I did a lot of reading about dyes & henna before starting because I'd heard bad things about dye chemicals,esp the ones for dark and black hair. I'd been using Bigen & Kiss on my grey edges & they always turned out dry,dull, brittle & broke off. I heard about this site from some black & white women on other message boards. I've been totally satisfied with this company & have been using them for about 2 1/2 years. My hair's in great condition & the black color is PERMANENT. Using henna can be a bit messy at first but you can get it under control with a little planning. If you get a kit from here it'll have a little plastic piping sleeve & gloves to apply the henna & indigo, but I find it best to use a color applicator bottle like the ones at Sally's. If you have any other questions about doing it,please feel free to PM me.
    Did BC Feb 2009 after 28 yrs of curly perms. Ditched wig June 2010 ,wearing flat twists & puff.Avatar me & my new BAA. Use Kinky Curly in summer & Qhemet or Shea Moisture Yucca in fall & winter. This winter is very harsh & caused dryness & breakage so I went back to wigs as protective style & using grease for first time since the 70s : Dax & Blue Magic.

5. Thanks CCmomof5, deecoily thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THANKS NubianPrize!! It will be a little while before I do it, so I will definitely take you up on the offer of answering more questions when I get it. I might check out my local Indian grocer before ordering, but if I do order it, it will be from the site you recommended.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is some great information NubianPrize. I will check out that site also.

There's an article on NP about natural hair dyes --- check it out

TO DYE FOR

~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'll be the voice of contrast here. I've been using Bigen for about 5yrs or so and I have never had an issue with breakage. I've been natural for almost a decade and loc'd for almost 6 of those years. I used it around my edges and sometimes through out my crown as needed. I dye my greys every 5-6 wks or so.

I will say my hair has been THICK my whole life, so perhaps this is the reason I have no issues. It works well for me and I make sure I ALWAYS have some on hand.
    ~Never allow someone with limited vision to limit yours~
    Officially Nappy 6 Feb 03
    Loc Journey began 17 Mar 07
    I be bloggin'...PM me for the lank!
    iStruggle...I'm a work in progress
    If I don't respond to your post directed at me, I probably have you on ignore #truestory

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Dee - I just read your blog post on natural dyes - good info! But it's the PPD that's in everything that I want to try and avoid and see if my edges respond better.

@LuvJones - I also have very thick hair, and when I tried Bigen, I didn't suffer any breakage. BUT, I did experience some burning/tingling while it was on my edges. I deep conditioned afterwards and had no lasting issues. However, I really want to see how my hair responds to Henna & Indigo, since it has so many benefits for hair, and with the thinning I have at my edges, it can't hurt to use something proven to benefit hair. If I don't get the results I want, or if it proves to be too much work and/or mess, I may go back to one of the "natural" dyes, or Bigen.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you make a mess with henna I suggest you make it thick. Follow your own recipe. I don't make it runny because that is messy. I make mine thick but not to thick. I also make it in a ziplock bag. Just add your ingredients to the bag and mix. Cut the tip off of the bag and apply.

11. Thanks CCmomof5 thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also use henna/indigo. I use it all over about twice a year, but do the edges and parting only, about once every two months. Just doing the edges more frequently makes means it isn't as much of a hardship as doing the full head.

I only have a sprinkling of grey, so it works for me at the moment.

DeBe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast