Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coloring grey hair

So of the naturals here that choose to cover/color grey, what dyes do you recommend for grey coverage on black hair? I know that many don't agree with covering grey; I have just reached a point where I don't like all of the grey that is concentrated in the front of my head (around the temples and where I part my hair) and down the middle. I am 38, and most of my grey came in during a very stressful time in my life, and now that I am past that season, I feel like some of this grey is evidence of that period, and embracing it is not what I want to do - for NOW.

Has anyone used Bigen? I've heard that it is gentle and it has not caused damage for a couple friends that I know have used it (they are not natural, however). I've seen people recommend henna and indigo, but 1.)I would have no idea how to mix it, and 2.)I do not want to change the texture of my hair, nor do I want to increase the thickness.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to use Bigen, but it weakened the texture of my hair. I prefer henna. Maybe you could try a rinse?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Micheli. I actually tried a rinse - it didn't "take". It just left the greys looking blondish. Not the look I was going for. But I definitely don't want to weaken my texture. I'm going to have to try something though....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CCmomof5 I feel you with the grays that creep in around the edges. That's one reason I can't wait until my hair is fully natural so that I can color with less chance of damage because of less chemicals (relaxer + color = breakage). I know you still have to be careful but less chemicals is always better. I going to use a permanent color. I will definitely have to deep condition and keep the hair moisturized so that it doesn't break. Since I have micros I end up trying to camouflage the grey that pops in because I've put a rinse in my hair with braids before and it was a mess and very hard to rinse rinse out. Google LUSHUSA.COM and check out their henna products...
    Don't remove the kinks from your hair, remove them from your brain.
    ~Marcus Garvey~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Henna & Indigo RULE !!

I've been using henna & indigo to dye my hair black for the past 2 years. I used to use Bigen but it weakened my hair & made it dry & brittle so my edges broke off. So I looked for natural means. Go to this site:
    hennaforhair.com & get a ton of information about how to use it. They have a forum where you can ask questions & get tips.
    Using henna can get kind of messy & be time consuming because you have to mix henna powder & let it sit 12 hrs before using it. Then you shampoo it out,mix indigo with water & dye your hair again. It will come out JET BLACK, look natural, henna conditions the hair ,you don't have to worry about the bad chemicals in commercial hair dyes, and it's permanent & doesn't fade. I highly recommend this method.
    Did BC Feb 2009 after 28 yrs of curly perms. Ditched wig June 2010 ,wearing flat twists & puff.Avatar me & my new BAA. Use Kinky Curly in summer & Qhemet or Shea Moisture Yucca in fall & winter. This winter is very harsh & caused dryness & breakage so I went back to wigs as protective style & using grease for first time since the 70s : Dax & Blue Magic.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Henna for Hair

I plan to try the Henna technique from this site tomorrow. Did you use BOTH indigo packets? The instructions don't specify if you should use all, they just warn you that the color will be based on the amount used.
    Last Relaxer: April 18, 2008
    BC: August 22, 2008

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coreoposis View Post
    I plan to try the Henna technique from this site tomorrow. Did you use BOTH indigo packets? The instructions don't specify if you should use all, they just warn you that the color will be based on the amount used.
    It depends on the length of your hair. Mine was about 5" long
    & since I was a newbie I just used all of both packets. If you have
    applied enough henna to cover your hair & still ha be some left, you can freeze the rest in a freezer bag til next time. Can't do that with indigo so you have to toss any leftovers. Make sure you use gloves because both henna & indigo will stain your hands. I find that salon gloves you get at Sally's or other BSS that are thicker & still snug fitting are better than the ones in the kit, esp if you have strong nails. Feel free to ask more. Btw, you should do a strand test first & Try using apple juice as your acicbadditive to make the henna mix. Lemon juice is WAY too strong & makes your hair feel dry like straw so you have to do a serious DT to get it back to normal.
    Did BC Feb 2009 after 28 yrs of curly perms. Ditched wig June 2010 ,wearing flat twists & puff.Avatar me & my new BAA. Use Kinky Curly in summer & Qhemet or Shea Moisture Yucca in fall & winter. This winter is very harsh & caused dryness & breakage so I went back to wigs as protective style & using grease for first time since the 70s : Dax & Blue Magic.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to hennaforhair to take a look. Are the other colors all natural too?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used henna and indigo for about a year until I could not keep up with the needed pace. Definitely agree about the lemon juice.
    12th year of freedom

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedyfro your hair is so stunning. I need some up close pictures of your head!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast