Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do using product to start make a difference, best start for short hair, & Braidlocks?

Three part question.

1. Braidlocks do look the easiest way to start locks, because when you wash them they won't unravel. So I'd like to know when will they get to the point to where you can't see the braid pattern? Would they get a rounded shape? What would be the way to retighten braidlocks?

2. The last time I had coils, and decided to wash them 90 percent of them came out. My hair was about 1.5 and I believe I used a gel, so I'd like to know which way would you recommend starting locks, two stranded, coils, braids, etc for hair that is between 1.5 to 2.5 inches.?

3. With all of these ways to start locks, I either hear that it's recommended to use some type of locking product, either wax or something else. Then on the flip side I hear people saying that wax is too weighty and should be avoided. So would it take longer to lock without product? Is it okay to rubberband the ends of it's strand/coil?

Thanks.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When braidlocs lose their braided look depends on your hair texture, curl pattern, thickness, etc. My braids lost their braided look and had round ends in three months. You can not tell where the braided part ends in my locs, they look the same throughout. My husband still has some curly ends after 2 1/2 years and the formerly braided part is fatter than the rest of the loc. My hair is thin and very tightly coiled. His is thick and has a much looser curl. So I would say there is no way to tell until you do it.

My hair was about that long too and I had the same experience - coils washed out after 2 washes, which is why I went to braids. They held well and looked less braid like with each wash. I did not use any gel or products aside from clear shampoos.

I would not use rubber bands at all. It don't think they are good for your hair and I don't think they will help the ends round.

To re-tighten I used a tool I made with a paper clip to interlock. After almost 2 years I stopped interlocking and now I freeform. The only maintenance I do is to keep them separated by checking and pulling apart when damp.

Braidlocing worked very well for me. However I have seen beautiful locs started with every method. You have to find what works for you.
    Last edited by MicheleJ2; 03-11-2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Added more info.
    Michele

[URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/c/coaiug56h.png[/IMG][/URL]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Correct. You never know. My locks are 22 months now and some of them still have the braid pattern.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although my braidlocs are looking more like braids at 10 months in you can see that the majority of them were clearly started with braids.

I started interlocking but one time of that method I chose to switch to twisting. I didn't like the look of interlocking. I use ORS locking gel to twist, its pretty light.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Looking more like dreads* sorry

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I locked with braids in 2006. They each do their own thing. You should join the braid lock group http://www.nappturality.com/forum/group.php?groupid=6

The braid pattern will disappear based on a number of things:
    hair texture
    density
    length of starter locks(the shorter the quicker the pattern disappears)
    The amount of moisture put on the hair(wet it more, to help the pattern go away
    The tautness of braid installation(the looser the lattice of the braid, the quicker the shed hair will fall inside of the lock and transform into locks)
    Also, what most don't realize is that the original braid shrinks. the true lock is your new growth being molded into a lock. the braid will become a little nub at the end of your lock shaft that you will keep or cut off. The nub by year 3.5 is usually around an inch long if you start with 12 inches of braid.

Only use water. you will avoid build up and unraveling. Product is just not needed with braids or interlocked locks like sister locks etc., which is a huge advantage.

Have fun. It's a journey and you will learn you are not in control. Your hair is....
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 03-14-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MicheleJ2 View Post
    When braidlocs lose their braided look depends on your hair texture, curl pattern, thickness, etc. My braids lost their braided look and had round ends in three months. You can not tell where the braided part ends in my locs, they look the same throughout. My husband still has some curly ends after 2 1/2 years and the formerly braided part is fatter than the rest of the loc. My hair is thin and very tightly coiled. His is thick and has a much looser curl. So I would say there is no way to tell until you do it.

My hair was about that long too and I had the same experience - coils washed out after 2 washes, which is why I went to braids. They held well and looked less braid like with each wash. I did not use any gel or products aside from clear shampoos.

I would not use rubber bands at all. It don't think they are good for your hair and I don't think they will help the ends round.

To re-tighten I used a tool I made with a paper clip to interlock. After almost 2 years I stopped interlocking and now I freeform. The only maintenance I do is to keep them separated by checking and pulling apart when damp.

Braidlocing worked very well for me. However I have seen beautiful locs started with every method. You have to find what works for you.

kinda random, but how do you add your siggy?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Only subscribed members can have siggies.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started my locs with braids on 11/2010 and by 3/2011 I could barely find a braid patteren. I still had curly ends for a while but then they disappeared too. I interlock by braids with several things: nappy loc tool, hair pin, one of my daughter's hair beaders. Tried the latch hook but I could not get the swing of it.

With braidlocs your locs will get a little plump on the end. I have tried finger rolling and palm rolling to thin them out but with no luck. I have accepted them as part of me and I gives my locs some weight when I feel like tossing my hair around. :-)

I workout at the gym during the week and wash/rinse my hair at least 3 times a week so braids and interlocking works for me.

I don't use anything locking product. I do spritz twice a day and more so during the summer months. I also occasionaly curl my hair using soft flex rollers -- still to short for anything else.

Good luck with whatever option you choose and once you have, never look back.
    I'm doing this just for me! Locked and loving it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until my hair stated to loc I used certain products to help it along the way, but as I was further in my journey the less product I use. I also keep the scalp oiled so that my loc stay soft and shiney.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast