Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do I make my two-strand twists look more presentable

I wear a shower cap to bed every night. It helps keep my hair moisturized and helps a tiny bit with reducing the matting. When I wake up, it's still matted ..perhaps not bad as it would look if i don't wear the shower cap nightly. Apart from the matting the twists look really short because they've shrunk, they would be flat on my head and the twists would be in all different directions, even though i twist them all back. Last summer, I had someone at work flat out tell me my hair did not look good and then she asked why i don't do anything to it. I had been doing two-strand twists then too and wearing them out daily. I knew they didn't look amazing or anything, but i thought they were still fine. After hearing that comment I have been covering my head with a hat, with my twists underneath. I'm tired of wearing a hat . I don't think she was trying to me mean though. She was a nice person, i think she was just being honest and i am glad she told me. I sometimes wet my head in the morning, but it would shrink back up after and i think wetting it daily also makes it dry, so sometimes i just put my leave-in conditioner on my hands and go around my hair with it. How do y'all do your two-strand twists? What do you do to them in the morning to reduce the matting? I want to be able to leave my twists out and not have to be wearing a hat. I no longer mind the shrinkage, I just want the twists to look presentable. They look fine when I first twist them, it's just after I sleep that first night that they begin to look weird.
    Last edited by GreenMango; 03-12-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just curious...are you wearing an actual shower cap or are you covering your head at night with a head wrap?

ccpalm is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest you replace the shower cap with a cloth or silk headtie or bonnet. For me, extra moisture on my hair makes my twists become fuzzier quicker. Wearing a shower cap oftentimes help create that moisture especially when worn for long periods of time. Shrinkage is par for the course with natural hair. I can sometimes lengthen the twists by using those silver pronged clips (don't remember the correct name for them right now). My twists can last b/w 7-10 days. At night I put a tie head on and sleep. In the morning I fluff the twists with my fingers and go about my day. Maybe every two to 3 days I might LIGHTLY spritz my hair with water and put some castor oil on the ends. I also work out and don't usually wet my hair until wash day if I want to keep the frizzies under control. Hope this helps.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a certain level of 'fuzziness' that I've come to accept with my natural hair. It may be different with you, as we have no idea how much fuzziness you're experiencing.

I would agree w/ccpalm regarding the shower cap. Do you have that on each night?? I would suggest [as ccpalm does] replace that with a silkier headwrap for night.

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In addition to replacing the cap with satin bonnet/scarf, I'd rethink wetting your hair every morning. Now I've only ever experienced matting with my twists after washing them. Is it at the roots? Maybe braiding the roots will help if most of the matting is at the roots.

Can you post a picture of your twists?
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, wetting twists daily will cause matting and shrinkage. I don't mind if either one happens, but I know that some folks do.

Also, I suspect that wearing a shower cap instead of a bonnet or scarf is causing your hair to be damper than it needs to be.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the others. The nightly shower cap routine is going to up the frizz quotient so use a silk/satin headscarf.
    In the am, you could very lightly spritz your twists to plump them back up.
    Are you just wearing the twists down? Maybe try pinning them up to make it look more "done." If your hair is too short for an updo, maybe you can try flat twisting the front and then have the rest in two strand twists.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely try pinning them up, it can look very elegant. I'd stop wetting them in the morning too, just moisturize deliberately. You can lightly steam them in the morning with a shower - no shower cap (you can just throw it out) - and then apply some nice, light oil to seal in the moisture, like coconut oil as you style your hair for the day. Yes, yes and yes again on the satin/silk scarf at bedtime.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ITA. This is what I do...including the pinning up.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cosign the others, take off the shower cap, its plastic, and plastic makes the head sweat. Any kind of moisture makes afro hair shrink. Try wearing a pretty hair band with the twist out as well.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast