Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    Really? She didn't clarify that in her essay. I think the entire thing was blown out of proportion. However, I can see the essay being offensive. The essay is short sighted and show the lack of knowledge on the part of the child.

Let's keep everything the same and in the same school. Then imagine a white student writing "Black teachers need to teach and instruct your people to be learners..." How would a Black teacher react?
    I can't read the article cited in this thread but here's a direct quote from her essay according to the article I read yesterday

“When I find myself sitting in a crowded classroom where no real instruction is taking place I can say history does repeat itself,” Jada wrote in her essay, according to the Democrat and Chronicle. “I feel like not much has changed. Just different people. Different era. The same old discrimination still resides in the hearts of the white man.”
    If that's not a pointed, clear, and obvious reference to HER situation, I don't know what else. SHE finds herself in a crowded classroom where her (presumably white) teacher ignores the students.

I wouldn't give a damn if some white student told the truth about his black teacher's incompetence. Although, the structure and main claim of the essay would have to be different since black people don't have a history of discriminating against whites.

There was nothing short-sighted about this child's essay. At worst, she made an assumption that her teachers would be fair, clear-headed and mature. That the teacher's failed to meet those expectations isn't a failure on the student's part. I'm amazed that folks would argue that there's any sort of justification for teachers harassing a 13 year old for any reason, but especially for expressing herself (and doing it well considering how pizzed the teachers were) in an essay.

And the only thing she was lacking was extreme cynicism. She's clearly already pretty disillusioned if that comparison (Douglass' words to her experience) even occurred to her. She just didn't take the disillusionment far enough. Now she knows, grown asz men and women can't be trusted to to keep their butthurt out of the classroom and that she can't trust their superiors to reign them in.
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Pamplemousse View Post
    ....As far as I'm concerned, the teachers' juvenile, disrespectful, and STUPID response is proof enough that her white teachers are failing.
    This

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been to the cream of the crop white school and I've been to inner city poverty-stricken schools. That girl is preaching. I too was 12 when I went to a poor, majority black school for the first time. I said the same things! Generally, the white teachers at both types were unhelpful to black students, but the black school experience is especially bad. White teachers think being in a black school is some sort of sabbatical, in my experience. After I got into the magnet of the school with 90% black teachers, a Latino, and one white, things improved dramatically. My brother (my twin who attended those schools with me) is a teacher today because of BOTH halves of the experience. The disinterest of the white teachers and the dedication of the black ones.

Have I had good white teachers? A few and I greatly appreciated them. But the majority have either ignored me or been discriminatory.
    Have I had bad black teachers? Yes. But I'm sorry to say every negative experience I had with a black teacher was precipitated by some issue with a white one. The white teacher would have an issue and a few black ones would jump on the bandwagon. I've never been suspended or anything like that and neither has my twin. Yet, we have had issues with every "white school" we have ever been to. The truth and the light is they didn't like us because we were smart, black, and not ashamed of that. There were very few black students is most of the schools or magnet programs I attended. My high school's gen. population was something like 95% black. The IB program was maybe 20% black of 200-300 kids. When I graduated the overall number in the IB program was less than 10. The program head made it his mission to get as many black kids out as possible. Many were Haitian and their parents didn't have the language skills or the time to deal with the situation. Even my twin left the program (in the middle of senior year!) because the pressure they put on us to leave was so unbearable. If my mother hadn't been a.) extremely knowledgeable about the education system and b.) a lawyer, there is no way I could've combated those people.

I said alllllll of that to say a.) this situation is not only possible, it is common. When I went to college I met black kids from all over who had done IB. Same experience. b.) Even if only half of what the girl is saying is true the behavior of the administration gives it more credence. Wth kind of way is that for grown people to act? They didn't like her essay and what? They aren't going to teach her now? But it mirrors experiences I've had. Teachers do talk and when you have a problem with one, chances are more will follow with others. Then the student is labelled a problem, even through GROWN PEOPLE are running around gossiping about a child. Pathetic. Finally, c.) why is the child expected to be the responsible, mature one? Maybe what she wrote wasn't the wisest or best thing to put down. But the thing is she is writing her experience and she is a child. Children say ALL and NONE and EVERYONE, they don't qualify with some or most. Whether that was an exaggeration or just child speak, the fact remains some teachers are butt hurt over the words of a kid. Get a damn life. I bet if there was no truth to it, they wouldn't be so hurt. Sorry for the essay. This is near to my heart.
    ~Sanity is Subversive~

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities~ Voltaire

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the backlash aside, I'm very impressed with this young woman's courage and ability to critically analyze society the way she has!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KoilyLocGirl View Post
    The content of the essay may have been controversial and confrontational to those with the power to grade it. I will even concede that as a teacher, I may have felt insulted. Alladat being said...this child was given an assignment and should have been graded on the essay, it's structure, and the parallels pulled from the F Douglas autobiography. Nothing else.
    ^^^ This right here. If you don't want "controversial" responses, don't assign "controversial" subject matters. Now that the student gave a response the teachers weren't prepared for, they want to cry foul!

As TEACHERS they should have put aside their petty personal feelings and dealt with the issue on an academic level. So much more could have been accomplished.

I have seen first hand how white teachers have allowed and ignored rambunctious behavior from their students, esp the black ones just as how I have witness how black teachers in predominantly black schools put a rein on the nonsense.

As such, I feel there is some validity to what this young lady had to say.

But I will say when I was a student, my experience with most white teachers was overwhelmingly positive. But, as I have often been told, I am an anomaly. Whatever.
    Last edited by Micheli; 03-24-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    Really? She didn't clarify that in her essay. I think the entire thing was blown out of proportion. However, I can see the essay being offensive. The essay is short sighted and show the lack of knowledge on the part of the child.
    EXACTLY. She is a CHILD! And for the so-called ADULTS who assigned her the reading material to flip out the way they did gives credence to the girl's allegations.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is truly terrible what they did to that child. I don't think it is fair for anyone, those teachers or any other disinterested (or interested) third party to fault the child for her interpretation of what she read and her observations based on her experience and research. She will become more informed and understanding as the years go on. She is only 13, it isn't like she has loads of life experience. Adults, white, black or otherwise, should understand and know that whether they like it or not. Some people just shouldn't teach.

White teachers have two issues going on...some just one, some both. Racism and classism. I've dealt mostly with the ones that can tolerate being around black children as long as they aren't poor/poverty bound, etc. I was making good grades in AP US History at an arts residential high school here until she found out that my background wasn't as privileged as my classmates. Then my grades TANKED. She would roll her eyes and give me a look of disgust and I promise yall I didn't do anything to her silly behind. I never had an experience like this before that. I was only 16 and I had come from a majority black school that had mostly black teachers, some white and none ever treated me like that. A paper I wrote that I was given an excellent review on by the World History teacher (also dean of students) was given a D by her...she was talked to by the dean and things got better but not much. She was still very nasty. She wasn't the last to be that way either.

Who said that quote, "You can't expect someone who can't treat you right to teach you right"? That is very much true. That teacher could care less if I learned one iota of US History.

Excerpts from 100+ Educational Strategies to Teach Children of Color by Dr. Jawanza Kunjufu

"In fact, I offer many solutions but only after providing some context about children of color. I insist on providing context because I believe that to teach children you must know them. If you don't know them, chances are you won't like them. I can offer all the solutions in the world, but if you don't like or respect children, if you don't want to teach in an African American or Hispanic school, or if your first choice was to teach in an affluent school in a White suburb, you won't be effective in a classroom with African American/Hispanic students.

You'll find that the strategies and activities I offer will not be effective if you have a negative attitude toward children of color.

In several of my earlier books on education I mention that in low achieving schools the most negative room in the school is not where the students are. it's the teachers' lounge. Ironically, the same teachers that make derogatory comments about our children in the teachers' lounge are the first to ask me for quick fix solutions to their students' problems.

Primarily I wrote this book for White female teachers.
    Eighty-three percent of elementary school teachers in America are White and female. The future of children of color lies in the hands of White female teachers.

Since the 1954 Brown vs. Topeka school integration decision, there has been a 66 percent decline in African American teachers. Only six percent of America's teachers are African American, and only one percent are African American males. Thus I spend around three days a week nationwide primarily working with White female teachers."

"Several years ago I wrote a book entitled
    Black STudents, Middle Class Teachers. It's sad, but many African American teachers are not connected with African American students. It's amazing how some will send their children to private schools but are against choice for low income children. There's a lot of self-hatred and hypocrisy.

The issue is race and class."

I've ran into black teachers with the same elitist classist attitudes as their white counterparts too. I have little respect for teachers or anyone who expects a child to be able to really understand and process as an adult...they are limited by experience and treating them like they understand the practical application of certain ideologies to a life they haven't experienced when they are being taught from a primarily technical aspect (that doesn't even broach on life as it is usually) is at the least ignorant and at the most foolish. Just my opinion...

Dr. Kunjufu breaks down the different types of teachers and all. I put my foot down at my own children's school...there aren't any black teachers at all and the first black person, a woman, they hired that wasn't a custodian or lunch room worker was the Assistant Principal and guess what her primary job function is? Disciplinarian . The other principals are beloved by students/parents alike...not so for her smh.

The teachers at the young lady's school (administration/board also) ought to be ashamed. I wonder why her mom doesn't just homeschool...I read about a Black single mother not too long ago who worked all day who chose to homeschool her son at night and on weekends.
    Last edited by Kreative; 03-28-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: reentered post
    Only a people who haven't learned how to respect themselves will let someone suggest or suggest themselves that they forget about their history. Dr. Frances Cress Welsing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123