Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vexed about Black History Month

I encounter a very racially diverse group of children everyday and I get to hear their conversations. All the children are under the age of 7 and not one has two African American parents but all are either decendants of africans or from the continent of Africa except one.

OMG if you recorded the conversations since black history month passed you would think everyone was a part of the "Boys from Brazil" experiment. WHAT ARE THEY TEACHING IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS???? I had to listen to "your white so you have to put the black people in chains"...and a whole buncha other stuff that had me upset. But ethically I never chastise kids for exploring their imagination.

Today we read from the American Girls series about Addy, who is a young african american girl alive around 1864. The kids were mesmorized. It's a chapter book so I hope to finish it swiftly and the children were excited to know what happens next. I'm going to talk to each parent day by day because one child is on their way to offend alot of black folks and I know how it's going to play out.

How do you explain to a parent when their child is saying racially inappropriate things (that I suspect the heart of which are coming from home) example: blacks are savages, ugly, I'm not black, telling lightskinned kids they are white without actually knowing their racial makeup.....
    Last edited by soapinphilly; 03-17-2012 at 01:17 AM.
    Instigating and waiting for the REVOLUTION to begin!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soapinphilly View Post
    .....How do you explain to a parent when their child is saying racially inappropriate things (that I suspect the heart of which are coming from home) example: blacks are savages, ugly, I'm not black, telling lightskinned kids they are white without actually knowing their racial makeup.....
    Although a parent wouldn't like it, I'd take it upon myself to educate the child. The child would have the shock of her life... lol. You can inform the parent, but I doubt the parent will thoroughly educate if the behavior came from home. She might even find humor in the situation. The issue: some folks of different cultures whether born in the US or not, don't see themselves as "black" or identify unless it's benefiting. If black folks are "XYZ".... News flash, so are you.

Any ways... read the following books to your students Shades of Black and Chocolate Me. The first book deals with identity, the second pride and acceptance. Have a group discussion with before and after questions to see if their views changed. Educate further if necessary.