Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Ever received negative comments from a male/ males about ur natural hair?

I remember when I first got my starter locs, I was walking home one day and there was a group of about 5-6 guys walking towards me. I was listening to my iphone at that moment, and I guess one of the guys were planning on trying to talk to me, until they got a little closer and got a look at my short coiled hair. I heard the guy's slick comment: "Aw neva mind, she look like she dykin' " My first thought was "OH Okay! since I don't have 10 pounds of weave in my head i'm automatically a dyke?!" Funny right? Well I kept it moving and ignored the snide comment. My thing is, if you can't even handle the fact that i'm rockin my natural hair, ur not even worth my time to even waste my breath on u! Keep it movin!

YuYu is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why people automatically think stupid things like that. I heard that one too, from my female family members. I did just like you (K.I.M.) and now my hair is on my shoulders and they don't have any. Continue to do YOU. People will always have something to say, regardless of what you are doing.
    I don't need a relaxer my hair is NOT stressed out!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope and I've been natural for over 15 years.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I BC'ed I went from relaxed hair that was btwn armpit & bra strap length, to a TWA that was maybe 1-2 inches long when shrunken. So i got some "why did you cut off all that pretty hair?" comments from some Black men. But I also got a lot of "wow! I love your hair!" comments too, and I seemed to attract a different type of man, if that makes any sense.

Since I started my locs I haven't heard anything negative.

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like he did you a favor, LOL. He would have been a clown anyway and you don't want someone that rude and tacky in your life anyway.

Some stuff I experienced when transitioning was:
    - So you're going natural? *looks at my hair confused and a little disgusted*
    - Soooo are you gonna loc? I mean, what are you gonna do with it? *look of confusion*
    - as we pass a woman on the street in a long skirt and headwrap "so you're gonna start dressing like that now?" *chuckle*

Since being natural
    -sent a picture of a me wearing twist out to someone that has only seen me with straight hair...his reply was something like

I haven't heard much else since being natural...then again maybe I stopped caring or people don't say it to my face, LOL.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol yea that was the only negative comment I've received so far. And it kinda pissed me off how he just automatically thought i was gay because my hair was short....lmfao wonder what kinda females he hang around....but anywaaays i'm at the point where i have this I.D.G.A.F attitude, you don't like my hair? IDGAF. "I" like my hair and that's all that matters. All of my friends and family have pretty positive attitudes about me locing my hair. But if i was to run into someone who gives me the stank eye because of my natural hair, like some people have experienced, my reaction would be to simply return the stank eye and keep it movin! lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy (sad face)

Well i guess im surrounded by outspoken men. My dad told me to get out of his house ( half kidding) but he said he was very upset with me. My father-in-law thought the sight of me with short hair was too funny ( kind of hurt my feelings) laughed in my face. My husband wont really look at me, and when i asked him to touch my hair he did it reluctantly with two fingers like it was dirty underwear. I got about ten starnge stares. but the one that takes the cake was being called bald headed and they said they would continure to call me that until my hair grows back. Lord help me make it through. I dont think any of them realize how this affected me but im going to stick it out.
    Last edited by meekone; 03-19-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spell check

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Your post just reminded me that my dad was not too thrilled when he saw my short hair initially. The last time he saw me though, he said it was getting so long and looked pretty . Besides that, no I haven't gotten a single negative comment from a guy. When it was shorter, I used to get a lot of compliments when I wore twists, which I found odd. And, the kind of guy that approaches me and how guys speak to me (politely) hasn't changed either.

OT: Has anyone else noticed that guys comment on rings more than chicks do? I used to wear rings that either had massive stones or were super cutesy, and I only got comments or compliments from guys, of different ages and races too. It was like they couldn't help themselves either .
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never gotten any nasty comment from any male or female, but Iīve noticed from the answers on this thread that itīs the short natural hair that people seem not to like.
    Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    Locīd Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhop13 View Post
    ....*look of confusion*...........his reply was something like ....
    lol... my only negative response (or should I say expression) ----> And he tried to hide that because i'm like "What? ... you got something to say?" No face movement just eyes.

Other than that.... nothing.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast