Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! We will look at this.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Success! DD is taking an interest in her hair and has mastered the pony puff!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G, I was doing my hair by the time I was 12 or so. Washing, detangling, braiding it up and pressing it out. The pressing part I was kinda keeping secret. I would do my hair on Saturday mornings cause my mom worked at a department store and Sat was a regular day for her. But once she saw what a good job I was doing, she never felt compelled to touch my hair again. From that point on, my hair was my own to do what I pleased with it. During the mid 70s I changed up between afros and press n curls all the time. I couldn't braid my own hair, but pressing and braiding hair is how I made some of my spending money.

On the flip side, my sister was seriously hair challenged. I think my mother pressed her hair herself til that child went off to college. When she had her daughter, it took her several years to really learn how to do her baby's hair. Never did learn to braid. But she could do fairly well with two strand and flat twist styles.

Before my niece finally got a relaxer, I can't say that she had really learned to deal with her own hair in it's natural state. So unfortunately, should she ever decide to go back to being natural, taking care of her own hair is going to be a huge learning curve for her. I tried to help her as much as I could, but by the time she was 14 she was pretty much set on putting those daggone chemicals in her hair.

Had she been my child, I'd have spent way more time with her learning how to take care of her own hair. I don't think I could've talked her out of the desire to get a perm, but at least she'd have a good idea of how to style and care for her own hair before she opted for the relaxer.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@NM- thanks for the encouragement. She now knows how to bun her hair and she makes a bang and clips it to the side. She has also become very skilled at taking down buns without ripping out hair. She could certainly do better with washing it, though, and that is the next frontier. She LOVES her hair, though and lately I have not heard any complaints!
    OFF TOPIC: She is also taking more of an interest in her clothes. I guess my baby is growing up!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great she did her own twists!! I think that´s very commendable! I also have a 12 yr old girl, and she styles her own hair. This means, that she makes her puffs, and fro, but she has yet to do a full head of twists. She can braid, but has never braided her whole head. Last time she braided tow braids on her sister´s hair, and I was very impressed. I shampoo her hair myself, but after reading this thread, I´m going to start teaching her to do a lot more on her own.

I started very young, maybe 10 or younger, I cannot remember exactly. I´ll ask my Mum. She got tired of us not combing our hair, and she just cut it all off one day when she realised that her warnings were falling on deaf ears. That´s when I started threading my hair in small squares, and later on I learnt how to cornrow by practicing on grass.
    Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    Loc´d Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello all! My baby girl is 14 and wearing a fro with pride. I take her to the barber off and on but I find that they take too much hair off when they "shape" it, so I will let her get an edge but NOT a "shape" by them. With our hair type, the shears work best for shaping rather than the clippers.

At any rate, she moisturizers her fro daily with a combo of olive oil and water (her idea) and she picks it out, pats it, and goes on her way.

7. Likes chachadiva liked this post
    ava1 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Teaching 12 yr old to do hair...

I have two girls--8 and 10 years--and I can't even imagine them being ready to tackle their hair but believe me I'm looking forward to it!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12